Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spray Bottle

Spray Bottle

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 15, 2013 9:09 am
sroach well done
well done

So I am need of a new spray bottle for oiling the grates before a cook, and I was thinking about my spray bottle while it does a nice job of misting water or cider vinegar, veggie oil always comes out as more of a stream then a mist.

Any of you folks have a good recommendation on a spray bottle that does a nice mist job for oil?

Appreciate it.

Post Wed May 15, 2013 1:28 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

What about one of the pump-up misters? My family gave me one a number of years ago but I didn't use it very much; not because I didn't like it but because I just didn't have a lot of opportunities. I'm sure you could find one at any decent kitchen/cooking supply store.

Post Wed May 15, 2013 1:33 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

"Misto" is the name of the product. You pump it up by hand a few times to get your own oil to spray. Works great and great quality. Only caveat of which I know is that it requires freqent pumping. Seems to enjoy quite a good reputation among other users as well. Oh, It's great, perfect for spraying EVOO onto popcorn or salads as well! You can check it out here, Sroach: :D

http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Alu ... B00004SPZV
Got beer???

Post Wed May 15, 2013 6:50 pm
sroach well done
well done

THanks guys, and BC I appreciate the link..

What do you guys use to oil the grill?

Post Thu May 16, 2013 5:31 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

sroach wrote:
THanks guys, and BC I appreciate the link..

What do you guys use to oil the grill?

I've used many different kinds of oils and fats, usually what I have on hand at the moment. That being said, I get my best results from the saturated fats, the kind that are solid at room temp, e.g. bacon grease. I like to collect the drippings in little ramekins and store in fridge until needed. Then I nuke it for a few seconds to make it back into oil. It just offers the best staying power and seems to provide the best anti-sticking properties. Folks in the health industry recommend oils with a high smoke point so as to limit toxins. And lots of times I also just keep a little jar filled with some oil and soapless, brillo pad to apply it. :D
Got beer???

Post Thu May 16, 2013 9:53 am
sroach well done
well done

Thats a good idea, now that my table is almost done I could keep a sealed jar of bacon fat out there, and I like the idea of apply with something like a brillo pad or some burn free sponge.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 10:30 am
QJuju well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
That being said, I get my best results from the saturated fats, the kind that are solid at room temp, e.g. bacon grease. I like to collect the drippings in little ramekins and store in fridge until needed. Then I nuke it for a few seconds to make it back into oil. It just offers the best staying power and seems to provide the best anti-sticking properties. Folks in the health industry recommend oils with a high smoke point so as to limit toxins. And lots of times I also just keep a little jar filled with some oil and soapless, brillo pad to apply it. :D

I do the same with bacon grease and I even have lard in the pantry. I hadn't tried the steel wool dealio, but its a great idea. I use an onion like Steven recommends and a paper towel when I don't have a spare onion half. I also will oil the protein or veges before putting them on the grill. The technique I use with protein is to apply the rub and let them rest in the fridge for a bit and then rub them liberally with canola or other oil. Steven uses that technique for his coffee crusted tenderloins in BBQ USA and APL uses it on the apricot pork loin in Serious Barbecue-- both delicious recipes.

For super hot sear cooks I don't use any oil as it will just smoke and make the food tasty funky. I know that goes against keep it hot, keep it clean, and keep it lubricated, but when your temp is around 550 and the coals are inches away there isn't any oil that helps from my experience.

Wow... the oil ramblings of a Juju. :lol: :lol: Hope that helps.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 10:41 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
"Misto" is the name of the product. You pump it up by hand a few times to get your own oil to spray. Works great and great quality. Only caveat of which I know is that it requires freqent pumping. Seems to enjoy quite a good reputation among other users as well. Oh, It's great, perfect for spraying EVOO onto popcorn or salads as well! You can check it out here, Sroach: :D

http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Alu ... B00004SPZV

And here is a picture - I've had this one for 2 years and it's the best oil mister I have ever owned:

And beside it are Steven's Lumatongs and Grill Oiler.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 5:44 pm
sroach well done
well done

CBG,

So you like the misto for oiling the grates?

Post Thu May 16, 2013 7:10 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

sroach wrote:
CBG,

So you like the misto for oiling the grates?

Not so much as it causes big flareups unless I shut off the burners. I like it for giving food a quick spray - especially if it's garlic oil like I was spraying on the mushrooms in the grill basket in the background.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 7:57 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

The Misto is excellent for olive and sesame oil. For liquid flavorings like wine, vinegar, cider, etc. I'm partial to my Best of Barbecue Sprayer (http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-B ... en+sprayer).

Hey, Canada BBQGuy, bravo for such a clean grill!

Post Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
The Misto is excellent for olive and sesame oil. For liquid flavorings like wine, vinegar, cider, etc. I'm partial to my Best of Barbecue Sprayer (http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-B ... en+sprayer).

Hey, Canada BBQGuy, bravo for such a clean grill!

Thanks - it was bought last August so the grates are in pretty good shape. But here's also another reason why:

Every month or less I use this scraper to clean up the grill - it's one of your tools, though I can't seem to find it in the store anymore. All those little "V"s and other edges take charred food right off, and then I just vacuum up the bits from the bottom of the grill.

Here it is at work on my IR side/sear burner at full blast. See how the "V"s fit the grates?

One tiny drawback - the squealing sound the tool makes can be a bit rough on the ears sometimes, like nails on a chalkboard. That only happens on unseasoned grates, though. :twisted:

Post Fri May 17, 2013 6:54 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

I have 4 of the Misto misters which I keep filled with EVOO, olive oil, canola oil and vegetable oil. They work great indoors but I would be worried about using them for the grill. Their mist doesn't go real far and I'd be worried about causing a flareup while my hand is too close to the grill to pull away in time. I oil my grill grates with PAM for Grilling (a high temperature version of PAM) which I spray onto a paper towel held with my tongs. This way I am not spraying the PAM directly on the grill for the same flareup reasons.

Jim

Post Fri May 17, 2013 9:16 am
sroach well done
well done

Thanks Jim, I will check that out next visit to the supermarket.

Post Fri May 17, 2013 10:13 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Thanks Jim, I will check that out next visit to the supermarket.

Do me a favor will you? I was just at my local supermarket this morning, and I didn't see the PAM for Grilling. It is seasonal but they always have it in by now. This was not a good sign. Thanks in advance.

Next

Return to General Discussion