Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The BGE / Kamado Cooker Thread

The BGE / Kamado Cooker Thread

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 15, 2013 8:48 am
QJuju well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Yes I will "blame" Griffin & Dyal & QJuju & EddieK & particularly smokin'gal for my new addiction. But I will also thank them. It seems some cults are good.

And yes they do seem to multiply if you leave them out in the dark very long. Thanks to the wonders of Apple stock dividends I got my first Large BGE in mid-August, Eggcessorized the heck out of it with the next dividend check, and added a second LBGE in early January. My original intent was to add a Small BGE in a couple years, but I quickly saw I needed another one right away. I decided to get a second Large because a Small with new Eggcessories cost more than a new Large with one or two duplicate Eggcessories.

Jim

Now that is a beautiful site... Love the pavilion! Is that the American Outdoor Kitchen setup? If so, How do you like it? I have been toying with building something or buying some of that. Any thoughts? And, I see you bought that grate lifter. I got that as a birthday gift last year. I would never have bought it for myself, but I love it!! Maybe the best thing next to the platesetter! :thumbup:

Oh... I didnt do it! :lol:

Post Wed May 15, 2013 8:55 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Well mine hasn't multiplied although I've seperated from one (when we moved) and then I was awarded another one....Plan is to get a mini/small in the beginning of the fall. My kids want to start cooking on it...

First I need someone to build me a table :)

Post Wed May 15, 2013 8:57 am
sroach well done
well done

Jim I am loving your set up, there is some good food coming from that pavilion!!!

Post Wed May 15, 2013 9:40 am
Griffin well done
well done

Jim, where did you get that grate lifter?

Post Wed May 15, 2013 10:15 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

QJuju wrote:
Now that is a beautiful site... Love the pavilion! Is that the American Outdoor Kitchen setup? If so, How do you like it? I have been toying with building something or buying some of that. Any thoughts? And, I see you bought that grate lifter. I got that as a birthday gift last year. I would never have bought it for myself, but I love it!! Maybe the best thing next to the platesetter! :thumbup:

Oh... I didnt do it! :lol:

QJuju yes it is. They have a BGE line with a few differences from their main line, like the cabinets made to hold the various size Eggs. I love mine, but they are VERY Eggspensive. The tall one was a floor model at my Egg dealer, so I got some money off. Having just redone my Kitchen cabinets with new cabinets and a granite top, they don't seem so relatively expensive anymore. They are in the same price range as good cabinets and a granite top. Funny story is I needed to pick a new granite color for my Kitchen as the one I wanted was too $$$. Without knowing what I did I picked the same granite that was on these cabinets. Happy accident. I plan to add more cabinets down the road as my bank account recovers and will probably move my first Egg off the nest and onto a base cabinet. I will also eventually do a third Egg and more cabinets on the other side of the grill gazebo.

They get many compliments and from a distance the synthetic wood looks convincing. The company has great customer service. They are sending me free bases to help raise the cabinets up higher. The terrace has a big slope, and the built in leveling feet weren't able to raise them up high enough for the doors to swing open all the way. I was asking the owner of the company a different question and mentioned to him they ought to do a kick style base and he said he would send me two.

Using the regular grid lifter with a hot CI grill grate is way too precarious for me. I too love it.

Griffin wrote:
Jim, where did you get that grate lifter?

Standard BGE Eggcessory Grif. Should be able to order it from the Mothership or your dealer.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Wed May 15, 2013 10:53 am
QJuju well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Using the regular grid lifter with a hot CI grill grate is way too precarious for me. I too love it.

Yep.. yep...

It works great for the small CI grate, but the spring is a little soft for the large. I just hold the handle a little different.

Post Wed May 15, 2013 12:27 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

SRH_21 wrote:
I am looking to join the cult now. I finally came to grips that my Char-Griller was past its time and needed to be put out to greener pastures. I am looking at getting a Kamado Joe. They seem to have a lot of great reviews for customer service, warranty, and quality. I am still having trouble though on deciding between a Kamado Joe, a Grill Dome and a barrel smoker (a barrel smoker in the same price range as the ceramics). Any suggestions?

At that price range you are getting into pellet / barrel grills
May be the best of both worlds , a smoker that will let you sleep through the nite & the bigger surface & cleaner taste of a barrel grill.
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Wed May 15, 2013 3:41 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

QJuju wrote:
jfm0830 wrote:

Yep.. yep...

It works great for the small CI grate, but the spring is a little soft for the large. I just hold the handle a little different.

Perhaps something is wrong with your spring then. When I use mine it is rock steady and doesn't move a bit. I make sure to slide it right up next to the center bar that divides the grate in half in the other direction before rotating it. Then the thing is absolutely balanced and steady. The only other thing I could think of is perhaps your spring is worn out from all the use you've given it.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 pm
ChiliDog raw
raw

Anyone have a Bayou Classic ceramic cooker? BGE seems the most popular, but I couldn't justify the price tag. Curious on how you might have tricked out your Bayou or any recommendations with the Bayou.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am
QJuju well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
...perhaps your spring is worn out from all the use you've given it.

:lol: :lol: Yes... I am sure that is it... seems to be the story of my life of late! :lol: :oops:

Post Thu May 16, 2013 10:36 am
QJuju well done
well done

ChiliDog wrote:
Anyone have a Bayou Classic ceramic cooker? BGE seems the most popular, but I couldn't justify the price tag. Curious on how you might have tricked out your Bayou or any recommendations with the Bayou.

Welcome aboard Chili Dog! Great Name! Favorite food?

Anyway, I saw those at Lowe's last year or the year before. It looks like a nice rig. If memory serves they had a couple of features that I preferred to the egg-- don't tell anyone in the cult that I said that. :D Sorry I cant add more, but a kamado is a good choice.

Be sure to post up some photos of the Bayou in action... we'd love to see them.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 10:37 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ChiliDog wrote:

Welcome aboard, ChiliDog! :D

I don't know of anyone here offhand who has a Bayou Classic, but it looks surprisingly similar to the Char-Broil Keg I've been seeing around. With that in mind, my first idea for a modification (or more of an accessory) would be to build a cart for it as a lot of our members have done.

Hopefully one of our members will repost a picture of their cart here, too. There are some great-looking DIY carts we've seen on this board over the last few years. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 5:56 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

I recently obtained a new to me-but used -CharGriller King Griller- identical to the Akorn, but marketed differently. The hood of the grill does not line up exactly with the latch, but not so far that it cannot be closed. A slight turn of the hood will lone it up. Is there an adjustment method? I haven;t really looked yet.

And another thing, when I do latch the hood the latch does not fully contact the companion piece, there is a gap but not sure if it needs to be tighter. only had a fire going one time so far and saw no smoke coming out at the gasket.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Thu May 16, 2013 7:44 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

jayeffel wrote:
I recently obtained a new to me-but used -CharGriller King Griller- identical to the Akorn, but marketed differently. The hood of the grill does not line up exactly with the latch, but not so far that it cannot be closed. A slight turn of the hood will lone it up. Is there an adjustment method? I haven;t really looked yet.

And another thing, when I do latch the hood the latch does not fully contact the companion piece, there is a gap but not sure if it needs to be tighter. only had a fire going one time so far and saw no smoke coming out at the gasket.

I was looking at that line of girls myself, before I decided to go with the BGE. It is odd how they have three or four versions of that grill at price points that vary about $100 total and the only thing that seems different about it is the materials the handles or the side tables are made of and the color they are painted. Anyway in doing my research on that grill I learned that latch is meant for safely moving the grill around. I don't believe it's intended to help keep the lid closed while you were cooking.

Jim
Last edited by jfm0830 on Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Large BGEs

Post Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 pm
SRH_21 medium
medium

[quote="lostarrow"][quote="SRH_21"]I am looking to join the cult now. I finally came to grips that my Char-Griller was past its time and needed to be put out to greener pastures. I am looking at getting a Kamado Joe. They seem to have a lot of great reviews for customer service, warranty, and quality. I am still having trouble though on deciding between a Kamado Joe, a Grill Dome and a barrel smoker (a barrel smoker in the same price range as the ceramics). Any suggestions?[/quote]
At that price range you are getting into pellet / barrel grills
May be the best of both worlds , a smoker that will let you sleep through the nite & the bigger surface & cleaner taste of a barrel grill.[/quote]

I did think of getting a Treager. My wife doesn't like the idea of a ceramic grill because of the grilling space, and the pellets make it easier to maintain temp. But, I do like to have the art form of controlling the temp myself. I decided to pull the trigger on a Kamado Joe today. I am thinking of getting rid of my Weber Kettle at the end of the summer and getting another Char-Griller.

Thank you for the advice.
Chargriller
22.5" Weber Kettle

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion