Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion "Theme of the Week" Idea Poll

"Theme of the Week" Idea Poll

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 26, 2013 8:18 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I think "steak" would be a great way to kick it off! My wheels have already been turning about steak recently anyways, so I already have something planned. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon May 27, 2013 2:51 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Steven wrote:
I think this is a TERRIFIC idea. Themes will help focus creativity while suggesting the infinite possibilities for iconic foods ranging from steaks to ribs, from pizzas to desserts on the grill; from Mexican to Thai to Texan. I think that once a month is the right frequency: it gives us time to consider the options, plan menus, fire up our grills and take photos. I suggest we start June 1 and if you like, we could start with one dish that almost all of us grill often: steak. I'll join to the extent that my travel schedule permits. Let's refine the idea through your posts and draw up a list of themes based on your suggestions. Perhaps our new community manager, Christine, can help put the suggestions together. Finally, I agree--this should be cooperative and coeducational, not competitive. I'm psyched!

SR

Cool! 8) I could myself start with steak, too, though for personal reasons I'd like to start Hawaiian-- not necessarily that everyone dig up a Hawaiian recipe, but rather that one incorporates ingredients within the cookout that speak of Hawaii. Incidentally, we could, if so desired, run a concurrent theme thread with the "Food of the Month." For example, June happens to be "Turkey Lover's Month." Found this neat little resource on Wikipedia (Just a thought):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_food_months

That all leads me to this thought-- Perhaps it might behoove us in order to insure the greatest participation to field a few suggestions, and if we were to go for a June 1 launch, to conduct a real quick poll for which is most popular. Again, just an idea. Canada and I were even talking about the new polling possibilities. Or of course, if you wanted to decide the coarse Steven... your forum.

Whatever gets decided, I'm excited too about our hoped for Block Parties! :D :cheers: :bbq:
Got beer???

Post Mon May 27, 2013 11:19 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
I think this is a TERRIFIC idea. Themes will help focus creativity while suggesting the infinite possibilities for iconic foods ranging from steaks to ribs, from pizzas to desserts on the grill; from Mexican to Thai to Texan. I think that once a month is the right frequency: it gives us time to consider the options, plan menus, fire up our grills and take photos. I suggest we start June 1 and if you like, we could start with one dish that almost all of us grill often: steak. I'll join to the extent that my travel schedule permits. Let's refine the idea through your posts and draw up a list of themes based on your suggestions. Perhaps our new community manager, Christine, can help put the suggestions together. Finally, I agree--this should be cooperative and coeducational, not competitive. I'm psyched!

SR

Steven - I think you read it above, but the board is looking forward very much to your entries as well. :D

I'm OK with steak too, as I've got a really nice one put aside right now. I might even get the big digital SLR camera out rather than use my BlackBerry for the pics. That is, assuming if I can keep the grease off the UV filter - last time I shot a cook it was a PITA to clean. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon May 27, 2013 4:20 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
Steven wrote:

SR

Steven - I think you read it above, but the board is looking forward very much to your entries as well. :D

I'm OK with steak too, as I've got a really nice one put aside right now. I might even get the big digital SLR camera out rather than use my BlackBerry for the pics. That is, assuming if I can keep the grease off the UV filter - last time I shot a cook it was a PITA to clean. :twisted:

Canada, it looks like we are at the cusp of a decision. Based on what you have just said and other recent posts, are we going to call the vote and declare the Block Party a go at once a month? Yeah, I don't see opposition and that's a mighty strong trend. Moreover, are we going with the steak plans for the first one? That also looks like where we are trending. Whatcha thinkin'? We'll probably want everyone to have clarity if we're aiming at a June 1 lunch, er... launch date.
:cheers: :bbq:
Got beer???

Post Mon May 27, 2013 7:10 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Rather than lock the poll, I'll just leave it open and let it expire normally. That's the problem with some of the automatic options on polls: once they're set, they're tough to change.

But right now we've got 12 votes for monthly, 1 for bi-weekly and one for weekly so I think we could call it.

So.... looks like it's steak for the first one. I'll post it on May 31 as I've got the day off. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:28 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Great minds think alike! I was going to propose steak myself, but in the spirit of a community board, I wanted the idea to come from you. What's everyone think--shall we focus on steak for June?

Post Tue May 28, 2013 10:06 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Steven wrote:
Great minds think alike! I was going to propose steak myself, but in the spirit of a community board, I wanted the idea to come from you. What's everyone think--shall we focus on steak for June?

Here are my thoughts, Steven. Based on those who have been posting their input, and in the expediency of time, looks like we're trending steak for the first one. Two other things I think warrant consideration. One is I believe it is worthwhile to encourage multiple submissions for those inclined. The other is that perhaps it would behoove us to determine promptly July's Party as well. The reason I say that is because at the header of the June theme, we could announce the July theme in the interest of giving people good time to look ahead as well as eliminating a need for another separate sticky. That being said, ideas for July?
:bbq: :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Tue May 28, 2013 1:22 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Steven wrote:

Here are my thoughts, Steven. Based on those who have been posting their input, and in the expediency of time, looks like we're trending steak for the first one. Two other things I think warrant consideration. One is I believe it is worthwhile to encourage multiple submissions for those inclined. The other is that perhaps it would behoove us to determine promptly July's Party as well. The reason I say that is because at the header of the June theme, we could announce the July theme in the interest of giving people good time to look ahead as well as eliminating a need for another separate sticky. That being said, ideas for July?
:bbq: :cheers:

There is plenty of time before July yet - we're still in May. Why don't we please just focus on the June one before we start planning too far ahead? The poll results are in, and I'll be submitting the first post for the June Block Party in the next day or so.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 1:40 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:

There is plenty of time before July yet - we're still in May. Why don't we please just focus on the June one before we start planning too far ahead? The poll results are in, and I'll be submitting the first post for the June Block Party in the next day or so.

Alright, Canada, if that's the way you want to go about it. I just thought that might make it easier on you. Can I just please request that you incorporate the term "Block Party" or "Online Block Party" in the subject title? :D
Got beer???

Post Tue May 28, 2013 3:38 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:

Alright, Canada, if that's the way you want to go about it. I just thought that might make it easier on you. Can I just please request that you incorporate the term "Block Party" or "Online Block Party" in the subject title? :D

Sure! I like #2 better - it's more descriptive.

So what does everyone figure? Do we just keep our specific Block Party posts to that one thread? Works for me.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 3:59 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
beercuer wrote:
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:

Sure! I like #2 better - it's more descriptive.

So what does everyone figure? Do we just keep our specific Block Party posts to that one thread? Works for me.

Absoolutely!!! Keep it in the same block. That was my initial intention. :D
Got beer???

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:34 pm
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

Terrific idea, beercuer! And thanks for creating the poll and for handling the first post for the block party, CanadaBBQGuy. I'm happy to help with this in any way you all would like me to. Just let me know if you need anything. Steak is a great first choice for the "June Online Block Party," and I see that you all and Steven already agreed to that.

Canada, are you going to post the "June Online Block Party" as an announcement? It's such a great community event, it should appear at the top of the forum.

Also, for the July block party, how about we put up a poll in mid June to get community feedback on the theme?

Post Tue May 28, 2013 10:14 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

christinebbqb wrote:
Terrific idea, beercuer! And thanks for creating the poll and for handling the first post for the block party, CanadaBBQGuy. I'm happy to help with this in any way you all would like me to. Just let me know if you need anything. Steak is a great first choice for the "June Online Block Party," and I see that you all and Steven already agreed to that.

Canada, are you going to post the "June Online Block Party" as an announcement? It's such a great community event, it should appear at the top of the forum.

Also, for the July block party, how about we put up a poll in mid June to get community feedback on the theme?

Christine, Thanks millions, and I am soooooo glad you came along. I like your way of thinkin'! :D :cheers: :bbq:

***Edit note: I hope the post will include or remind everyone that multiple submissions are most welcome (i.e. some folk may have different kinds/ways of steak to prepare and share). :D
Got beer???

Post Wed May 29, 2013 10:42 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

christinebbqb wrote:

Yes - an Announcement would work best, which is why I cleared the "Please Excuse Our Dust" announcement. In fact, the announcement is already saved as a draft and I'm working on it now.

And I can definitely do a poll in mid-June, too. So as beercuer suggested above, if anyone has any ideas for July you should post them here. Otherwise it's going to be a big poll, and there's a maximum of 10 choices anyway as the Board software doesn't allow more.

According to the Wikipedia article posted above, some of the choices for July are:
California Wild King Salmon Month
Grilling Month
Horseradish Month
Picnic Month

So to get things rolling: my suggestion for July is... chicken. :twisted:

Post Wed May 29, 2013 2:00 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Hey guys,

Excellent idea. I'm hoping it will get me out of my rut. I don't have the time I used to, and i feel I'm not pushing myself. I will do my best to get at least on entry in a month.

Vote for July- Mushrooms

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion