Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mem Day 2-Meatlovers Calzones

Mem Day 2-Meatlovers Calzones

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 28, 2013 7:09 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Ribs were originally on tap for Sunday, but one of the key ingredients for the recipe got held up in shipping. Meanwhile on Saturday I got a call that the BGE Calzone press I’d ordered was in. So it seemed like a sign, even though calzones are not what I think of when I think of Memorial Day fare. But with temps in the 40’s, drizzle and windy weather it felt more like Columbus Day (Oct) than Memorial Day. Besides I’ve long been quite jealous of the great looking calzone pictures Dyal_SC has posted here. Figured it was high time I try my hand at some.

I had a batch of pizza dough rising for 90 minutes & just before that was done I sauteed up some red pepper & white onions. Now on a Patriotic holiday like Memorial Day our buddy beercuer would have probably added a blue color food...I stopped at red & white

The pizza dough has finished its rise. I divided it into 4 pieces & formed it into 4 balls-2 of which I used & 2 of which I refrigerated. Here the first is about to be rolled out to 12” diameter.

The bottom side of the calzone press has a sharp edge you use to cut out the dough round to the correct size.

The dough round is in the calzone press.

Time to add the fillings: pepperoni, imported ham, the cooled red pepper & onions, some herb tomato sauce for serving, a 3-cheese Italian cheese blend, Genoa salami, ricotta cheese, olive oil & Kosher salt.

You add the ingredients to one half of the calzone press. First up is the ricotta cheese.

The pepperoni, imported ham & Genoa salami were added next...

...followed by the peppers & onions & some Italian seasoning blend...

...& lastly the 3-cheese blend.

The first of two calzones is on a pizza peel, ready to go. To get here I brushed the edge of the dough with some water, folded over the calzone press to seal the calzone & turned the calzone out onto a pizza peel with cornmeal on it. The calzone was brushed with olive oil, dusted with Kosher salt & slit on top with a knife.

The first of the two calzones is on the Egg. I brought them out on two pizza peels. I didn’t feel confident about my chances of safely landing two calzones from one pizza peel. The Egg has been set up with a pizza stone on some 1/2 copper plumbing T’s which are on the plate setter which is installed legs down. This sets the Egg up for indirect grilling & raises the food up into the dome area, so the Egg is acting like a domed brick oven.

The two calzones were supposed to cook at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes. When baking I always check on things early. I went out at 13 minutes & found the calzones were essentially done.

Time to Eat!

I am glad I looked in on the calzones a couple minutes early because the crust was just about perfect.

The calzones were served with some heated herb seasoned tomato sauce. The calzones had wonderful flavor & the crust had a nice little crunch in it when you bit into it.

These calzones were great and I like how they can be easy to make. If you use store bought sauce (like I did here) and don’t bake your own pizza crust, you can essentially do all the prep & have them ready when your pizza stone has pre-heated for the recommended 30 minutes.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Tue May 28, 2013 7:54 am
sroach well done
well done

Jim,

Awesome looking Calzones!! Is it the olive oil that give the top crust that perfect brown sheen? Also, love that metal pizza peel you got there, much easy to store then the big bulk wooden one I use.

Question about the calzone press, does it join the two ends or do you have to twist the ends of the calzone for it to stay closed?

Post Tue May 28, 2013 7:56 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Gorgeous. I know what I want for breakfast!

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:34 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks guys!
sroach wrote:
.... Is it the olive oil that give the top crust that perfect brown sheen? Also, love that metal pizza peel you got there, much easy to store then the big bulk wooden one I use.

Question about the calzone press, does it join the two ends or do you have to twist the ends of the calzone for it to stay closed?
Yes it helps it brown without burning as long as you cook it for the right length of time. Many recipes for baking this type of thing or some rolls have you brush on oil or an egg wash (usually just the egg whites). It also help hold sesame or poppy seeds on top. In my experience you get a better browning with the egg wash, but for these calzones the olive oil gets you the "typical" color.

The peel is a BGE peel & I like it the best of the three I own.

The calzone press simply squeezes the two halves together tightly. You brush the edge of the dough with water before closing it. I have made other baked goods where you brush the dough with water to help seal it. I am still working on the right amount of water to use here. I've done 3 calzones now and only had one seal up correctly on the first try.

Steven wrote:
Gorgeous. I know what I want for breakfast!
Wow I can't believe I never thought of that before reading this. This is also making me think about a breakfast themed calzone. hmmmm.

jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:42 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Beautiful calzones, Jim! I think you could've stuffed them with lawn clippings and the crust still would've made them great!

Post Tue May 28, 2013 12:53 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BGE makes a calzone press? Man - those guys have everything!

Great looking calzones, Jim - those are really looking fine! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 1:22 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
BGE makes a calzone press? Man - those guys have everything!...
It's funny you should say that, because they actually pretty much do. The pizza peel I used in the pictures is also a BGE pizza peel. I think their Eggessories for general barbecuing are very well-made and somewhat surprisingly, reasonably priced.
2 Large BGEs

Post Tue May 28, 2013 1:46 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: Jim! Got to admire your dedication in preparing those calzones as well-- looks like an involved undertaking. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Tue May 28, 2013 2:11 pm
QJuju well done
well done

That is what they would call GBD. Yep... Golden Brown & Delicious!

Post Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 am
Jackalope well done
well done

OMG! The breakfast of the gods, for certain! I was planning on thawing dough to make a pizza on grill... I think I changed my mind. I've got all the fixin's veggie-wise, plus ground bison and ground venison. Will likely make one with each; last week I combined the two from an earlier batch and made meatloaf on the grill. Texture was fine, but the flavor was a slight disappointment. (I get the stuff for free from our local pantry, so it's no big loss and I get to play with my food with gleeful impunity! 8) )

Return to General Discussion