Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoked oysters

Smoked oysters

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 29, 2013 8:46 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Hi, everyone,

A little barbecue postcard from Martha's Vineyard. Last night I smoke-roasted local oysters with oak chips and truffle butter. In a nutshell, you shuck the oysters, place a teaspoon of truffle butter or regular butter in each, and indirect grill the oysters with soaked wood chips on the coals just long enough to bubble them in the shells. (8 to 12 minutes.) There may be better tasting oysters somewhere, but I haven't tasted them yet. What I want to know is how YOU grill or smoke oysters.
Attachments
oysters smoked.JPG
oysters smoked.JPG (2.47 MiB) Viewed 816 times

Post Thu May 30, 2013 2:42 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Hi Steven,

Sounds like you're out to a fun time of it. "Smoke Oysters" sure grabbed my attention. It's not often enough I get to have them, but when I do, I :heart: 'em. And now you've given me a terrible yearning with your lovely pic here. I've never thought to do them in any kind of butter, but thanks for the inspiration. I can imagine how well that pairs up. I most carefully schuck them so as to keep as much of the liquor as possible and let them smoke in that liquor (mesquite or hickory smoke). I find that just like with clams, they make for a magnificent linguine with white wine sauce. :D
:cheers: :bbq:
Got beer???

Post Thu May 30, 2013 7:59 am
Griffin well done
well done

:shock: Holy Big Picture, Batman!! Great looking oysters, Steven. I've never "smoked" oysters. We usually do them around 450 direct (maybe with some wood chips for a hint of smoke), some garlic butter and when that melts add melted garlic butter for some flame ups and then add a bit of grated Parmesan cheese. More of the style of New Orleans like Draco's.

Post Thu May 30, 2013 9:38 am
sroach well done
well done

The oysters look great, so good I almost want to eat them.. wish I liked them enough to eat them.. LOL

Post Thu May 30, 2013 10:30 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Shoot. I got my screen all wet again from licking it! :mrgreen:
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu May 30, 2013 12:04 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Oysters look great! One of my favorite ways to cook oysters.

Post Thu May 30, 2013 3:42 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looking good, Steven! :cheers:

I take it that's the Shellfish Rack from the SR Store, yes? I rarely cook shellfish, so I've never seen that rack in action.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion