Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion "Theme of the Week" Idea Poll

"Theme of the Week" Idea Poll

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 30, 2013 3:36 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
christinebbqb wrote:
Terrific idea, beercuer! And thanks for creating the poll and for handling the first post for the block party, CanadaBBQGuy. I'm happy to help with this in any way you all would like me to. Just let me know if you need anything. Steak is a great first choice for the "June Online Block Party," and I see that you all and Steven already agreed to that.

Canada, are you going to post the "June Online Block Party" as an announcement? It's such a great community event, it should appear at the top of the forum.

Also, for the July block party, how about we put up a poll in mid June to get community feedback on the theme?

Yes - an Announcement would work best, which is why I cleared the "Please Excuse Our Dust" announcement. In fact, the announcement is already saved as a draft and I'm working on it now.

And I can definitely do a poll in mid-June, too. So as beercuer suggested above, if anyone has any ideas for July you should post them here. Otherwise it's going to be a big poll, and there's a maximum of 10 choices anyway as the Board software doesn't allow more.

According to the Wikipedia article posted above, some of the choices for July are:
California Wild King Salmon Month
Grilling Month
Horseradish Month
Picnic Month

So to get things rolling: my suggestion for July is... chicken. :twisted:

Canada, do you mean chicken wings eg., in particular or chicken in general?

Perhaps without expressing my personal suggestion at this point, perhaps I ought to include that July is also our Independence celebration here, and also happens to be official hotdog month. Now traditionally, the most common foods grilled for the 4th are hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken, so Canada's chicken also fits in that category. And I believe that sausages should be included if it were to come down to hotdogs. That being said, my own sense is I don't know how jazzed folks would be about creating different versions for the month for those so inclined. Another idea could even celebrate the spirit of the 4th cookout with chicken or dogs or burgers, along with any desired accompanied sides like mac 'n cheese, potato salad, and such. Okay, let's see where we proceed from here. As Community Manager, what's your take on this, Christine?

Wolfpack wrote:
[Hey guys,

Excellent idea. I'm hoping it will get me out of my rut. I don't have the time I used to, and i feel I'm not pushing myself. I will do my best to get at least on entry in a month.

Vote for July- Mushrooms

Hiya Wolfpack!! Man, too long no see. Most looking forward to you at the party. :cheers:

Well mushrooms certainly are something I need to further explore at some point. :D
Got beer???

Post Thu May 30, 2013 7:52 am
Griffin well done
well done

My vote for July would either be ribs or hot dogs/sausage. Don't know how much participation we would get for hot dogs, though. Most people would probably consider them pretty mundane.

Post Thu May 30, 2013 3:27 pm
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey, I was talking with Steven about this, and since chicken seems to be a popular contender to for the July Online Block Party, how about we limit the poll (that will go up in mid-June) for the theme for the July block party to these 5 :chicken: choices?

Whole Chicken
Split Chicken
Chicken Breast
Chicken Legs
Chicken Wings

What do you all think? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

Post Thu May 30, 2013 5:30 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yeesh- I gotta work on my sense of humor. I was actually going to suggest "Horseradish", because "Grilling Month" was way too vague. Chicken was a bit of a joke because it meant "none of the above"... :shock:

Canada Day is July 1st and Independence day is July 4th, so I'd be more in line with a theme like that instead. Keep in mind that this isn't the poll for July, but rather it's only ideas for the poll in July - I was going to post up to 10 choices on the poll. Remember - we're still a few weeks away from the poll itself. :D

Speaking of hot dogs, I seem to recall that someone posted a link to a faux-gourmet YouTube video a month or two ago. Some guy faked up a cooking show and was presenting what looked like pretty grotty cheese dogs as gourmet food - it was hilarious. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 30, 2013 8:34 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

...Soon to follow...
Got beer???

Post Fri May 31, 2013 3:57 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Canada...er,CharredGriller wrote:
Yeesh- I gotta work on my sense of humor. I was actually going to suggest "Horseradish", because "Grilling Month" was way too vague. Chicken was a bit of a joke because it meant "none of the above"...

Hey CG, perhaps one of these Image or one of these Image might help? Chicken? Image

Seriously, when I think about it, I see the ideal as being specific enough to support a theme, yet flexible enough to promote the fullest possible participation (including multiple submissions for the long month). So for example, in my suggestion above about a holiday theme, (which could include burgers, dogs/sausages or chicken), there is perhaps too much variation in that. It would be nice down the road, say if one were searching the forum, to find a plethora of eg hamburger ideas consolidated in one thread. That and other advantages. Plus, we'll all be on the same "block" with a bit narrower theme. I also believe it's worthwhile to do summer foods during summertime, and look to cooler weather foods for cooler times. I can see how chicken, in whole or in parts, lends itself to as many possibilities as stars in the skies. But I'm happy to go with whatever on this one. I can cook anything!-- I'm the same guy who brought you the Aussie Walkabout Cowpie and Smurftatoes. Image I think I just found the "fun" in dysfunctional. :shock:
Got beer???

Post Fri May 31, 2013 6:05 am
QJuju well done
well done

In the words of Delmar O'Donnell... I'm with you fellas. :D

Post Fri May 31, 2013 10:08 am
Griffin well done
well done

christinebbqb wrote:
Hey, I was talking with Steven about this, and since chicken seems to be a popular contender to for the July Online Block Party, how about we limit the poll (that will go up in mid-June) for the theme for the July block party to these 5 :chicken: choices?

Whole Chicken
Split Chicken
Chicken Breast
Chicken Legs
Chicken Wings

What do you all think? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

:thumbdown: I'm not opposed to chicken, but I think if we go chicken, we leave it wide open to whole or any parts you want. Who's going to volunteer for chicken feet? Anybody? Anybody?

Post Fri May 31, 2013 11:06 am
QJuju well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Who's going to volunteer for chicken feet? Anybody? Anybody?

I thought everyone enjoyed gnawing on a chicken foot?? :lol: :lol: OK... I know some feel they are delicacies. I kid. :mrgreen:

Post Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

QJuju wrote:
Griffin wrote:
Who's going to volunteer for chicken feet? Anybody? Anybody?

I thought everyone enjoyed gnawing on a chicken foot?? :lol: :lol: OK... I know some feel they are delicacies. I kid. :mrgreen:

Chicken feet are a taste I haven't totally acquired yet, even though a Korean guy down the road makes them sometimes and they're really good. But it's not the taste or texture that drives folks like me off - it's the funny looks you get when you tell your neighbor you've just tried chicken feet. :twisted:

What's even weirder is that if I told my neighbors that I ate chitlins, tripe or pig trotters, they'd say "Did you save me some?". But tell them you just had chicken feet (or beef tendon) and they look at you like you just grew a second head. It's discrimination against non-porcine species at it's worst. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:35 pm
medium-rare

Hey there, I'm blown away by the participation and the images everyone has been posting in the June block party, and we're only half way through the month. I can't wait to see what the next half of the month brings for steak. Beercuer, this was a phenomenal idea. Such wonderful support for one another to bring the community together. I was thinking that we might not need to put up a poll to pick the block party theme for July ... how does everyone feel about making RIBS the theme? I know I would love to see what everyone does with them!

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:05 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hi Christine. I'm putting together a poll for July, and it should be out in the next couple of days.

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:53 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

OK - the July Block Party poll is up and you can find it here:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24483

Sorry it was a couple of days late but things have been a bit crazy up here with the flooding in southern Alberta.

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:59 pm
medium-rare

Dean, I'm glad you're okay, and I hope your loved ones are safe and sound. Did you have to evacuate?

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:56 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

christinebbqb wrote:
Dean, I'm glad you're okay, and I hope your loved ones are safe and sound. Did you have to evacuate?

Fortunately I live about 200 miles north of Calgary and the other flood zones and my family down there lives in the hills.

However, I work for the government and that means I've been on call 24x7 all weekend. Our buildings were OK but I'm going in early to help set up the Emergency Operations Center.

Up where I live we got about 90 minutes of heavy rain from that same weather system, so no grilling tonight. Too bad as I had a lot of new recipes to try out. :evil:

But at least the poll is up...:D

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion