Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion June's Online Block Party - Steak!

June's Online Block Party - Steak!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:48 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Kitchenangel wrote:
I would have to say that the household regular here, is a NZ Sauvignon Blanc. I do like a nice red, but not if I'm outside!

I do like your choice! I used to be more into the whites, preferring either an SB or a Johannesburg Riesling. I still use an SB for my cooking recipes or a Pinot Grigio. :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:08 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Great way to get things started, BC! They're kind of like satays without the skewers!

So by default is this month's party about beef steaks? Or do pork and other kinds of steaks qualify as well?

Sorry - we should have clarified that. Yes, it`s beef steak. :oops:

I thought about that today as I saw both a nice pork steak and two gorgeous fish steaks (salmon and halibut) in the supermarket today. :D

Incidentally - very nice appetizer, BC, and Angela, the steak and mushrooms look fantastic! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:59 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:
Great way to get things started, BC! They're kind of like satays without the skewers!

So by default is this month's party about beef steaks? Or do pork and other kinds of steaks qualify as well?

Sorry - we should have clarified that. Yes, it`s beef steak. :oops:

I thought about that today as I saw both a nice pork steak and two gorgeous fish steaks (salmon and halibut) in the supermarket today. :D

Incidentally - very nice appetizer, BC, and Angela, the steak and mushrooms look fantastic! :cheers:

Many thank you's, CG. Well I guess we are settled now. I am inclined to call in and commission Wierd Al Yankovic to do a parody of Adam Levine and Maroon 5 going something like, "We've got to moove like cattle, moove like cattle."
Got beer???

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:33 am
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I heard it thru the Bovine :cow:

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:34 am
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Oops. Double post

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Wolfpackbbq wrote:
I heard it thru the Bovine :cow:

Better yet!!! Oh man, how witty, Wolfpack!
Got beer???

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:07 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Blatantly ripped off from "Happy Endings": Steak Me Home Tonight.

After seeing the first 2 submissions I know I'm definitely going to have to bring my "A" game!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:12 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

OK - I cooked two steaks this weekend so here they are (sorry for the crummy smartphone pics - it was getting dark):

I started with a simple one - this was a medium-sized bone-in rib-eye steak.

There's nothing on this steak but EVOO, Hy's Seasoning Salt and cracked black peppercorns. In fact, I would have just lit a chimney of charcoal and used one of my Outlaw's cast-iron grates, but it was getting dark and ist would have been too much trouble.

This is half-done.....

And here's the finished product, once again on the vintage GrannyWare plate (circa. 2007 :twisted: )

This steak was thick enough but it cooked quite quickly and shot past medium-rare in a flash. Even so, the medium and medium-well parts were still great. This steak didn't even make the table, as you see.

And now - Steak # 2. This was supposed to be a London Broil but I had that steak for lunch. It wasn't pic-worthy anyway. And the store was all out of them so I had to try something different.

The supermarket butcher looked at me like my head was on fire when I asked him to cut me a thick sirloin steak. He also cut it too thick (2 1/2 " instead of 1 1/2 ") but the smaller piece was still good. This is the smaller piece, with Lone Star steak rub and more ground pepper.

And halfway done again.....

I don't often put barbecue sauce on my steak and I only had one that worked well with beef as the others were too sweet. (Yes, it's from a Christmas gift of Tony Roma's sauces). I figured I'd doctor it up a bit so I added one teaspoon of the Worcestershire sauce. and 3 teaspoons of Denzel's Dangerous Goods hot sauce. The result was just right - not too hot, but with lots of habanero and roasted garlic taste.

Here it is finished.

This steak was for lunches, and it turned out a perfect medium-rare. It also sliced very nicely too.

Well, the party continues, so I'm sure I'll have one or two more to post soon. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:53 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CG, I get the chance to visit you at your pit, and look what you do to me. You just gave me the fiercest craving. Goodnight, your steaks look fabulous! Ribeye is also my favorite cut, a real treat. I :heart: your distinction there between a half-finished and finished one. That's funny :lol: My own tastes are such that I can enjoy eating any steak that is just past rare to well done. Though I can appreciate looking at the beauty of a rare one. Speaking of rare, it is a rare treat that I get to indulge rib-eye. Must rectify that occasion quickly. And nice touch with the Granny Ware... I, too, like to make use of mine, especially whenever I make my homemade stew. Your gourmet sirloin looks heavenly! No need to save that for lunches with me around!
Got beer???

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:15 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Blatantly ripped off from "Happy Endings": Steak Me Home Tonight.

After seeing the first 2 submissions I know I'm definitely going to have to bring my "A" game!

Your're killing me, Brad! Image Image

Talk about appropriate party music! You should be DJ at next month's chicken event.

Seriously, from what I have previously seen, you have a lot of "A" game in you! Steaks per se, served as steaks, are not my particular forte, as you will see when I post again later a conventional one. I can get the flavor/taste, but the looks...?
Got beer???

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:37 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I pulled this out of my freezer on Saturday and forgot about it. It came pre marinaded from the butcher in "Whiskey River" marinade. I brought it to work with me yesterday and forgot about it again :oops: Today i went to grab my lunch and saw it. Figured it was now or never. It was labeled as Beef Shoulder. Sorry for the sloppy pics. I didn't have time to plate properly. I thought the paper plates added to the block party theme.

Work grill

Added to my chicken fajitas, i was supposed to have

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:17 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I am SO psyched to see what everyone comes up with!

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 pm
sroach well done
well done

BC, awesome way to come out swinging on the party!!

Angel with a beautiful follow up!

You guys have me thinking!!!

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:24 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Wolfpack-- Marvelous looking specimen there! That "Whiskey River" marinade sure gave your shoulder steak a nice coloring. The shape of it in a way reminds me of a tritip. I wonder what the flavor of that marinade is like. Nice thought on your part to plate to paper. Image

sroach wrote:
BC, awesome way to come out swinging on the party!!

Angel with a beautiful follow up!

You guys have me thinking!!!

Ah, thanks Steve! :cheers:

Steven wrote:
I am SO psyched to see what everyone comes up with!

We heard it from Steven, Friends! :D :bbq:
Got beer???

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:22 pm
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

I'll be putting your pics from the online block party on the [url]BarbecueBible.com[/url] homepage. Beercuer, I just posted yours!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion