Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Your Favorite Beer for the Pit?

Your Favorite Beer for the Pit?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:29 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
wiseguy wrote:
Image

One of my go to summer beers from a local brewery. River Horse Double wit it's an unfiltered Belgium style ale 7% ABV I had one today with some Beercuer inspired pizzadillas.


I :heart: these pictures coming in. They are so cool to look at! Wiseguy, I even get the sense from looking at your label that I should expect a higher abv.

KJUNQUE wrote:
It does pack a punch, and it goes down so easy you have to be careful with it.


I can believe that, KJ! I discovered it especially with the Bombucha and RedTrolley Ale, and they had far lower alcohol percentage.Image
Got beer???

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:42 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
I do have a new one to share today. It is called Third Shift Amber Lager (5.3%). I really do not have much to say about it. Didn't excite me very much, and so would say do not feel it's worth any extra money. If you like Schlitz, keep with that. One reporter's opinion (especially in case if this is someone else's boat-floater)!

Image
Got beer???

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:24 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Posts: 2621
Location: Valley Springs, CA
Image

Image

Image

Image
Image

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:29 pm
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Posts: 226
Location: New Jersey
beercuer wrote:
I do have a new one to share today. It is called Third Shift Amber Lager (5.3%). I really do not have much to say about it. Didn't excite me very much, and so would say do not feel it's worth any extra money. If you like Schlitz, keep with that. One reporter's opinion (especially in case if this is someone else's boat-floater)!

Image


Unfortunately 3rd shift is one of those beers that is made by the big beer companies to cash in on the craft beer boom. I have nothing against Coors I drink Blue Moon another one of their beers from time to time. I just don't like when they try to hide their name and pretend to be something else. I am not a beer snob that would hate a beer because it says Coors or Miller on the can but there is to many good craft beers out there. The only one I refuse to buy is any Bud product because I don't like their business practices unfortunately there are a lot of beers under their umbrella. Let me jump of my soap box and say these beer pics are making me thirsty.
:cheers:

Wolfpackbbq
What do you think of the Hot Rod Rye?
Image

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:48 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Posts: 2621
Location: Valley Springs, CA
Hop Rod Rye is awesome. I love most of the Bear Republic beers
Image

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:32 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
Wolfpack-- Oh man, thanks for sharing the pics. I really appreciate and find it quite entertaining to just even look at some of these labels and read the names.


wiseguy wrote:
Unfortunately 3rd shift is one of those beers that is made by the big beer companies to cash in on the craft beer boom. I have nothing against Coors I drink Blue Moon another one of their beers from time to time. I just don't like when they try to hide their name and pretend to be something else. I am not a beer snob that would hate a beer because it says Coors or Miller on the can but there is to many good craft beers out there. The only one I refuse to buy is any Bud product because I don't like their business practices unfortunately there are a lot of beers under their umbrella. Let me jump of my soap box and say these beer pics are making me thirsty.
:cheers:


That sure is informative! Let's see, if I remember and understand correctly, George Killian's Irish Red is attached to Coors, and I am rather fond of that one.
Got beer???

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:23 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Posts: 226
Location: New Jersey
George Killian's Irish Red is owned by Coors and it is good beer I like Blue moon and that is another Coors beer. If you have Netflix or Amazon prime check out Beer Wars. Great documentory on the stuggles of the craft beer industry. I'm happy my home brewed Irish red ale will be ready to drink in 24 hours.
:cheers:
Image

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:43 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
wiseguy wrote:
George Killian's Irish Red is owned by Coors and it is good beer I like Blue moon and that is another Coors beer. If you have Netflix or Amazon prime check out Beer Wars. Great documentory on the stuggles of the craft beer industry. I'm happy my home brewed Irish red ale will be ready to drink in 24 hours.
:cheers:


Thank you, and congratulations, Wiseguy! Man that must be nice, your own brew! :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:14 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Posts: 226
Location: New Jersey
Thanks looking forward to it. Brewing is a great hobby and you get to drink quality beer for less then buying from the store for $25 you can buy an all grain recipe of Irish Red that will make you about 2.25 cases of beer.. Lucky me I have 2 hobbies that I can eat and drink the final product.
:cheers: :bbq:
Image

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:30 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Posts: 1299
Location: MadCity, WI

wiseguy wrote:
beercuer wrote:
I do have a new one to share today. It is called Third Shift Amber Lager (5.3%). I really do not have much to say about it. Didn't excite me very much, and so would say do not feel it's worth any extra money. If you like Schlitz, keep with that. One reporter's opinion (especially in case if this is someone else's boat-floater)!


Unfortunately 3rd shift is one of those beers that is made by the big beer companies to cash in on the craft beer boom. I have nothing against Coors I drink Blue Moon another one of their beers from time to time. I just don't like when they try to hide their name and pretend to be something else. I am not a beer snob that would hate a beer because it says Coors or Miller on the can but there is to many good craft beers out there. The only one I refuse to buy is any Bud product because I don't like their business practices unfortunately there are a lot of beers under their umbrella. Let me jump of my soap box and say these beer pics are making me thirsty.
:cheers:

Wolfpackbbq
What do you think of the Hot Rod Rye?


Blue moon was a small brewery that got bought out by Coors, Third-Shift is Millers trying to be a mirco even stole the name from a micro brew company that had the name well before Miller/Coors did

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:35 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
wiseguy wrote:
Thanks looking forward to it. Brewing is a great hobby and you get to drink quality beer for less then buying from the store for $25 you can buy an all grain recipe of Irish Red that will make you about 2.25 cases of beer.. Lucky me I have 2 hobbies that I can eat and drink the final product.
:cheers: :bbq:


There have been so many times times throughout the years that I have come so close to homebrewing, even just about placing an online order for supplies. I still have many, many very usable bottles in fact for it. However, with all the cooking and baking I do and limited health, it's a matter of how can I get around to it.

Trolby wrote:
Blue moon was a small brewery that got bought out by Coors, Third-Shift is Millers trying to be a mirco even stole the name from a micro brew company that had the name well before Miller/Coors did


Say, thanks a lot Trolby! Man, this thread has gotten to be informative!
Got beer???

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:29 am
Trollby well done
well done

Posts: 1299
Location: MadCity, WI

I should add that if you think you can not make home brew OR don't have the time........

I started with Mr. Beer (Still use it for fast batches), I can knock out a Mr. Beer recipe I mod that taste great and start to finish 1 - 1.5hours (includes cleanup)

If you buy the starter kit ($60) everything you need to brew a batch is included except sugar.

Granted the basic brew is very tame like a Coors lite\Miller lite\Bud lite but easy to make these beers like the micro brews you know and love.

Kits cost more than scratch made beers and like great Q are better beers but my All Grain beers take 4-6 hours just like making Q

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:47 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Posts: 226
Location: New Jersey
Trollby wrote:
I should add that if you think you can not make home brew OR don't have the time........

I started with Mr. Beer (Still use it for fast batches), I can knock out a Mr. Beer recipe I mod that taste great and start to finish 1 - 1.5hours (includes cleanup)

If you buy the starter kit ($60) everything you need to brew a batch is included except sugar.

Granted the basic brew is very tame like a Coors lite\Miller lite\Bud lite but easy to make these beers like the micro brews you know and love.

Kits cost more than scratch made beers and like great Q are better beers but my All Grain beers take 4-6 hours just like making Q

I agree with Trollby. I also started with a Mr. Beer kit after my first Mr. Beer batch I stopped using their kits and started buying my own ingredients. Basically I find a recipe for your standard 5 gallon batch and multiply the ingredients times .40 that will give you the amount you will need for a Mr. Beer size batch. or you can go this route for 1 gallon batches http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/1-gallon-small-batch-starter-kit.html or http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-making-kits after the initial cost additional kits would run you $10.50 to $18 cheaper if you buy the ingredients in bulk.
Image

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:40 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Posts: 2621
Location: Valley Springs, CA
I have never made a Mr.Beer kit, but have tasted a couple. Not my "pint of beer" but it works for getting people into the hobby. I will say there are a few things I have learned while brewing and judging. If anyone decides to brew their own beer these are the things i would encourage for best results.

1- SANITATION!!!!!!
2- No matter the sized of your batch, do full boils of your wort. Yes, there is a difference between partial and full boils.
3- Oxygenate your wort after boiling. Yeast needs oxygen!
4- If you are using tap water, use a carbon filter
5- If you brew once or twice and like it, invest in an Wort Chiller. It can be an immersion or counter-flow. Buy one or build it yourself. This is a must have.
5a- Make yeast starters if you decide to make this your hobby
6- RDWHAHB (Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew)
7- Before going All Grain do some soul searching. It requires significantly more time and investment. It is one of the reasons I haven't brewed in 4-5 years. I'm thinking of going back to extract kits for ease.
8- Invest in this book http://www.howtobrew.com/ and you can read a few chapters here http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html
:cheers:
Last edited by Wolfpackbbq on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:38 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
Oh man, you guys have really regenerated my yearning to brew again! A million thank you's for all the info!

Wolfpack-- I can certainly appreciate your insistance on the sanitation, as I relate that to my coffee maker. I find a periodic run through with vinegar makes all the difference in the world in getting the best tasting cup! :cheers:
Got beer???

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

cron