Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Deep shame

Deep shame

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:29 pm

It was a lovely warm day here, today, so feeling industrious, I decided to give my bbq a deep clean.

*yikes*

When did I do it last??

For your own state of mind and anyone who may have a dicky heart, I did NOT take any pics :lol: ,but goodness gracious, I was mildly shocked at what lay underneath the burners!!.

All's well now, and as a reward I have ordered new flavorizer bars, a new warming rack and upgraded to stainless steel grates.

Do we all do a deep clean regularly????????

Ang

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:35 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I dissassemble and clean mine monthly, but I got a shock this weekend when I got a bunch of flareups on the very bottom of my grill. It's the first time I've had a grease fire in a grill since I forgot to clean off my Outlaw's charcoal tray before flipping it right-side up after smoking a bunch of pork shoulders and ribs, and that was in 2008.

I know why, too. I've been cooking a lot of seafood this month and brushing it with butter- or oil-based basting liquids. Looks like I have to clean it tonight.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:42 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Kitchenangel wrote:
It was a lovely warm day here, today, so feeling industrious, I decided to give my bbq a deep clean.

*yikes*

When did I do it last??

For your own state of mind and anyone who may have a dicky heart, I did NOT take any pics :lol: ,but goodness gracious, I was mildly shocked at what lay underneath the burners!!.

All's well now, and as a reward I have ordered new flavorizer bars, a new warming rack and upgraded to stainless steel grates.

Do we all do a deep clean regularly????????

Ang

On one hand, all that buildup can be seen as a good thing, Ang. It means your pit is getting used! Now it becomes something of that which you can be proud. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:17 am
QJuju well done
well done

What is this deep clean you speak of? :D

I did with my gassers, but one of the great things about the egg is it can be run up to 750 for a time. Kind of like a self cleaning oven. I usually do that periodically until it burns clean. Now that you mention it... I'm due.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:18 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good catch, KA - sounds like a potential disaster may have been avoided!

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:09 am
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Funny story about this subject. My parents had friends visiting this weekend and invited themselves to my brothers house. He was grilling up brats on the gasser. My dad noticed black smoke and mentioned it to my brother. My brother just walked in the house looking for spray bottle. In the mean time the smoke got thicker as flames took over. A couple wasted beers and a garden hose later they got the flames out and the sausages weren't cooked. There was enough radiant heat on the grill, so they threw them on and closed the lid. Apparently they were still edible. I guess it's time to give my gasser a deep clean

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:55 am
sroach well done
well done

Yikes, sounded like a potential bad situation avoided...

Return to General Discussion