Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mean Mr. Mustard

Mean Mr. Mustard

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:48 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I had to cook for just myself Saturday night so I tried to come up with something that would have a little bite, and settled on chicken legs with a marinade/paste made from German mustard, garlic, hot sauce, and red pepper flakes.
Image Image

The legs marinated for 9 or 10 hours and had a nice pungent aroma. I built a hot indirect fire and added some pieces of an old hickory log for smoke.

The end result was pretty good for something that I basically threw together without much regard for measurements. There was definitely some heat and garlic flavor, and even though I couldn't really taste any mustard there was a pleasant vinegary tang. What I wasn't expecting was how much the skin would shrink!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:14 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Mmmmmm.... mustard chicken legs! That's got me thinking too much about cooking some now. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:08 pm
sroach well done
well done

Wow that looks good, no way that skin is making it to the plate before I eat it.

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:15 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I'm with Steve... I do like that skin!!! I can practically taste it just by looking at it. Definitely looks packed with flavor, Brad. That German mustard, was that a Dusseldorf? :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:35 am
QJuju well done
well done

Nice legs! :D I like the mustard mix too! And the skin... I'm there.

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:52 pm
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
That German mustard, was that a Dusseldorf? :D
Absolutely, as that's where it's made! :wink:

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:17 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
beercuer wrote:
That German mustard, was that a Dusseldorf? :D
Absolutely, as that's where it's made! :wink:

I and sister Pam approve. :lol: You're definitely DJ'ing next month, Brad!
Got beer???

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:15 am
Heebzman medium
medium

The chicken looks great....me loves grilled skin !! But I am impressed with the fact that you chose chicken to make for yourself. Every time I am left alone and want to grill I get myself a thick bone in rib-eye and some huge shrimp to grill. Come to think of it I don't think chicken would even make it into my top 10 in that regard unless you count wings.
:mrgreen:
Anyway great cook !
Two 18.5 WSM's...the Twins ! / Performer / Q200

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:28 am
BBQ Deputy

I know what you mean about automatically thinking "steak" when grilling for one; it's that way for me, too. In this case it was going to be chicken for my daughter and myself but I forgot that she had to work that night, so I had to weigh putting the chicken in the freezer for another time against just going ahead and grilling it. Since the goal was to try to create something spicy that Mrs. Chicken definitely wouldn't care for I chose the latter, and saved a piece for my daughter to eat later.

I still can't believe how much the skin shrank. But it was indeed mighty tasty...I've find that when I put spices, seasonings, etc. between the skin and the meat the skin seems to always pick up more of the flavor.

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:01 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I still can't believe how much the skin shrank. But it was indeed mighty tasty...I've find that when I put spices, seasonings, etc. between the skin and the meat the skin seems to always pick up more of the flavor.

I can believe it. I've often skinned and deboned chicken thighs for cooking, so a couple of times I tried tossing the skins into a frying pan with a bit of seasoning. I wound up with chicken "cracklings" about 2 inches long and they were actually very tasty. Sort of like the best part of a KFC chicken thigh but without the breading. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion