Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rasta Ribs, Haitian Slaw and Caribbean Sweet Potatoes

Rasta Ribs, Haitian Slaw and Caribbean Sweet Potatoes

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
KJUNQUE rare
rare

When I found out about this forum I was really excited. Steven's Barbecue Bible is the first and only cookbook I currently own thats dedicated to barbecue. I wanted to share my first cook inspired by the BBQ Bible. This was actually done a couple weeks back before I knew this place existed. These dishes were inspired by recipes found in the book. I hope you enjoy the photos.

I started with some nice pork loin back ribs. I removed the membrane from the back.

This is the cast of caricatures for the rub. And the ribs all seasoned and ready for the grill.

The Haitian Slaw was possibly the best cole slaw type dish I have ever had. These are the ingredients I used for this spicy delicious slaw.

This is what I used for the grilled sweet potatoes. Image

The ribs were cooked on my Cajun Grill using an indirect set up. I used Stubbs charcoal and pecan wood chunks.
I grill the potatoes over the coals directly.

And my favorite to keep the chef happy. LOL

Here it is all put together. Everything was a big hit with my family.

Thanks for looking.
My Friends Call Me KJ.

Cajun Grill
WSM 22.5
Homemade UDS
Crown Verity Gas Grill
Sausage Maker Smokehouse

QJuju well done
well done

I'm gonna have to try those ribs! They look delicious and that flavor profile is outstanding! Did you just smoke them straight through or foil along the way? Any finishing liquid in the foil? Baste after coming out of the foil? I really like the absence of sugar on the ribs. In Planet Barbecue Steven talks about how he changed his jerk recipe after visiting Boston Beach. I think it was spot on. I think you nailed it too!

KJUNQUE rare
rare

Yes straight through no foil, no liquid, no basting. Just an extra sprinkle of rub at service time.
My Friends Call Me KJ.

Cajun Grill
WSM 22.5
Homemade UDS
Crown Verity Gas Grill
Sausage Maker Smokehouse

sroach well done
well done

Very nice looking ribs, they look tasty! I like a dry rib myself. Good work!!!

Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Great looking meal KJ. I wish my family would eat a meal like that

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Mo manje! Your meal looks too tasty, KJ! Like Qjuju pointed out, that flavor profile is awesome. I take it you are a chilehead too? I like the inclusion of the chipotle and habaneros in that recipe. So the habaneros found themselves in the slaw, yes? That's a new idea to me. Well, you sure made like the Saints and went the whole 9 yards. Fabulous cookout! :cheers:
Got beer???

KJUNQUE rare
rare

Thank you everyone. Yes the slaw has some habaneros in it. I'm not sure I qualify as a chilehead. I use them often but just as accent not just for the burn. If that makes since.
My Friends Call Me KJ.

Cajun Grill
WSM 22.5
Homemade UDS
Crown Verity Gas Grill
Sausage Maker Smokehouse

This looks lovely - even before the photos, the title caught my eye. I must ask OH if he would try this.....

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great job, KJ! Like Qjuju, I like that the rub contains no sugar.

Since you mentioned that The Barbecue! Bible is the only one of Steven's books that you have, you might take a peek at BBQ USA if you get the chance. Or any of his others, really...that one's just my favorite.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

KJUNQUE wrote:
Thank you everyone. Yes the slaw has some habaneros in it. I'm not sure I qualify as a chilehead. I use them often but just as accent not just for the burn. If that makes since.

Sure does make sense, very good sense. I just get a little nonsensical foolish at times. Even so, I like the way a certain amount of heat can really help draw out the flavors of other ingredients and spices. :D
Got beer???

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:

Me three!
Got beer???

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow - that's a great looking spread, KJUNQUE! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

KJUNQUE rare
rare

ScreamingChicken wrote:

Since you mentioned that The Barbecue! Bible is the only one of Steven's books that you have, you might take a peek at BBQ USA if you get the chance. Or any of his others, really...that one's just my favorite.

Thanks, I want to get another book on barbecue. I will take a look at this one. :thumbup:
My Friends Call Me KJ.

Cajun Grill
WSM 22.5
Homemade UDS
Crown Verity Gas Grill
Sausage Maker Smokehouse

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

KJUNQUE wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:

Thanks, I want to get another book on barbecue. I will take a look at this one. :thumbup:

It looks like a lot of Steven's books are on sale this month at Workman Publishing, too. You might be able to get 2 books instead of just BBQ USA (which is a great choice). Another of my favorites is Planet Barbecue, which I use a lot.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion