Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Bork! Bork! Bork!

Bork! Bork! Bork!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:58 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last Friday I was sitting at my desk and got a hankering for something involving noodles, meatballs, and gravy so I hunted around a bit and came up with this recipe from A Taste of Home.

I started with the onion and since the goal was to grill as much as possible I gave the pieces a nice char.
Image Image

After it cooled a bit I ran it through the food processor and mixed it and the rest of the ingredients into the beef. At this point the thought occurred to me that I could save myself a little labor and make a Swedish meatloaf instead, but I stuck to the plan.
Image Image

By now it was time for an early lunch since Mrs. Chicken wasn't going to be home for awhile, so I just before I made the meatballs and put them into the fridge I put a chicken leg on the grill as it seemed wasteful to light a batch of charcoal just for 1 onion. The chicken was seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked over a medium-low direct heat, and then glazed with some Stubb's for the last 10 minutes on the grill. It was very similar to the chicken my dad would grill when I was younger and was a nice, simple change of pace.
Image Image Image

I started another batch of charcoal and added some small oak branches for smoke, and put the meatballs in an iron skillet.

While they cooked I assembled the sauce, which was added after the meatballs were done. The recipe calls for the meatballs to be removed which I did, but I didn't wipe out the pan before making the sauce because there were all kinds of good bits and some nice grease. So the sauce was probably a little more oily than it would've been but I was not about to waste that flavor! :lol:
Image Image

They were served over egg noodles and while I thought the smoke flavor was pretty light my wife and daughter said they could really taste it, so I must've been suffering from some "grill overexposure". We all agreed that the meatballs and sauce tasted really good, but some labor was definitely involved.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:23 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job, Brad! I haven't seen too many Swedish meatballs on this board. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:57 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Meat, pasta and gravy.... That hasta' be good! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:03 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:

:thumbup: Couldn't have said it better.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:11 pm
sroach well done
well done

QJuju wrote:
Dyal_SC wrote:

That covers all three food groups... :mrgreen:

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:10 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Oh yummy yummy, get in my tummy! Image
Brad, you know anything along ghoulash-stroganoff lines is top comfort food to me. Way to go!

sroach wrote:
QJuju wrote:
Dyal_SC wrote:

That covers all three food groups... :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Got beer???

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 am
Jackalope well done
well done

I too can't agree more...ahh, goulash, swedish, stroghanoff anything just screams comfort - to the point I will willingly don my clothes and bathe my skinny white petukis in the stuff. 8)

Oh, and by the way, our local radio station DJ announced Dunkin Donuts is offering something along the lines of a Breakfast-Bacon-Donut dish. Don't know if there is any bun or egg involved, but will check out this concoction. :shock:

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:56 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks for all the kind words. Apparently the leftovers were good, too, as they disappeared before I got any! :(

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:25 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Thanks for all the kind words. Apparently the leftovers were good, too, as they disappeared before I got any! :(

So much for "Meat the Muppets." :D
Got beer???

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:26 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Jackalope wrote:
I too can't agree more...ahh, goulash, swedish, stroghanoff anything just screams comfort - to the point I will willingly don my clothes and bathe my skinny white petukis in the stuff. 8)

+1 with a single exception. The stroganoff I've tried in certain freeze-dried backpaker meals is downright foul. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:36 am
Jackalope well done
well done

Eeewww..freeze-dried almost anything gives me the willies... :shock:

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:37 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Jackalope wrote:
Eeewww..freeze-dried almost anything gives me the willies... :shock:

Some of the FD backpacker's meals are OK. The stroganoff tasted like congealed wallpaper paste in really bad sour cream. :mrgreen:

Return to General Discussion