Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Yard Bird on a Plank

Yard Bird on a Plank

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:19 am
QJuju well done
well done

Posts: 1943
Location: La Grange, Kentucky

I have really begun to enjoy planking. This recipe is from an online publications and was probably a Ted Reader invention. I do not follow the recipe exactly so I dont have the proportions any more. I will describe it as best I can. It is one of our favorite dishes and I have used many types of planks-- all are good.

You will need...

big boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut a pocket in each
pepper jack cheese
mayo, I use Duke's
6 or 8 strips thick bacon, crisped and crumbled
4 or 5 green onions, chopped
2 or 3 chipotle peppers, minced and a few teaspoons of the adobo sauce
planks

the chicken breasts are stuffed with the cheese and placed on the plank
Image

the remaining ingredients are combined to make the sauce then spread on the chicken
Image

a simple slaw for the salad...
Image

they are cooked around 350 for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Indirect is a soft light smoke and direct is a heavy smoke. These were done direct...
Image

I served them with a side of cauliflower rice as well. Very simple... shred cauliflower florets in food pro. Nuke, covered, for 4 minutes-- no water added. I added butter, salt and pepper after it was finished.
Image

Image

One of our favorites... I hope you like it too.
Image

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:19 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2288
Location: Southern Californy
That is one skillfully crafted gourmet meal, Qjuju! Wow, I'm impressed! That's all innovative and new to me. With adobo and pepper jack cheese?-- You've won my :heart: .Image
Got beer???

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:24 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Posts: 292

That looks like an AWESOME use of a plank to me. What sort of plank? Cedar?

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:08 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Posts: 3712
Location: Lexington, SC
That recipe is killer! I remembered you made this awhile back. I made it a few months back, with your inspiration, and it is terrific.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Image

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:36 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5899
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Excellent yard bird, QJuju! :cheers:

Yesterday I was thinking, "Hey - my cedar planks are still in great shape. I should get some salmon.". Now I'm thinking "chicken breast".
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Posts: 46
This looks lovely! Planks are really expensive over here... :cry:

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:17 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7561
Location: Stoughton, WI
Very neat method, Q - and it does seem like something Ted Reader or one of the other "offbeat" grillers might come up with!

Even if the plank's still in good shape does the mayo effectively make it unusable for future cooks?

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:41 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5899
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
ScreamingChicken wrote:
Very neat method, Q - and it does seem like something Ted Reader or one of the other "offbeat" grillers might come up with!

Even if the plank's still in good shape does the mayo effectively make it unusable for future cooks?


It didn't seem to do so on mine. I've cooked a few planked meals with sauces like miso glaze and also mayonnaise-based sauces. Mayonnaise is oil-based so it also tends to soak into the plank a bit, just like the oils in planked salmon do.

All I do is give the planks a really good scrub when they're done and then let them dry thoroughly. That cleans them off quite well and they don't get moldy afterwards (not that cedar gets moldy all that fast anyway, mind you). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:14 am
sroach well done
well done

Posts: 1170
Location: Warrington, PA
Holy Smoke! that looks awesome..
Image
_________________
XL BGE
18.5 Kettle Gold
18.5 WSM

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:23 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Posts: 1943
Location: La Grange, Kentucky

Those were 2nd pass planks SC. They weren't going to make a 3rd because they were too charred. I find that is the factor more than what is cooked on them.
Image

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:20 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5899
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
QJuju wrote:
Those were 2nd pass planks SC. They weren't going to make a 3rd because they were too charred. I find that is the factor more than what is cooked on them.


Depending on the thickness of the plank, I sometimes get a third or even a fourth cook out of them. If you have access to the tools the secret is to cut off the charred edges and scrape off the charred bits on the broad sides of the plank and/or run them over a belt sander. A planer would do the job here too but my planer blades are a bit too precious for that. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:56 am
QJuju well done
well done

Posts: 1943
Location: La Grange, Kentucky

CharredGriller wrote:
QJuju wrote:
Those were 2nd pass planks SC. They weren't going to make a 3rd because they were too charred. I find that is the factor more than what is cooked on them.


Depending on the thickness of the plank, I sometimes get a third or even a fourth cook out of them. If you have access to the tools the secret is to cut off the charred edges and scrape off the charred bits on the broad sides of the plank and/or run them over a belt sander. A planer would do the job here too but my planer blades are a bit too precious for that. :D


I only own 1 screwdriver and a set of wrenches. :lol: I could see how one would enjoy refurbing planks, but I just don't have the time. Or the equipment. I get a few cooks from them and replace as needed.
Image


Return to General Discussion