Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grill oiler

Grill oiler

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:10 pm
smokeybeaver well done
well done

Does anybody own this yet:
http://barbecuebible.com/2013/06/07/10-tools-you-need-for-fathers-day/#.UbbZsPnihWI

I have several BBQ tools that Steven has created that I have purchased and have had great luck with, and this looks like it may be my next addition. What do you think?

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:45 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You bet!

There's a bit of a write-up I did on mine in this thread:
http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24189

I've been using my oiler a fair bit this season and it works well. I like that it can lay down a coating of oil very quickly. Here's a pic of mine:

The one thing I've been using in conjunction with the oiler is a long-handled disposable basting brush. It's great for touching up those tiny spots you've missed.

I also like using Steven's grill scraper in conjunction with the oiler because it does a wicked good job of removing burnt-on sauce and other crud from my cooking grates:

See? No crud. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:12 am
sroach well done
well done

I feel bad giving my review on Steven's Forum, but honestly I didn't have a great experience with it. I found I was getting oil all over the place. I had high hopes for it, but for me it didn't work out that well for me.

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:07 am
smokeybeaver well done
well done

Thanks for the info. The grill scraper may be a good addition too. Not sure about the the grill oiler now. I would have to make sure I could return it if it does not work out for me.

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:59 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

smokeybeaver wrote:
Thanks for the info. The grill scraper may be a good addition too. Not sure about the the grill oiler now. I would have to make sure I could return it if it does not work out for me.

I have to say I love the grill scraper. I've used it a few times over the last few days and it makes short work of anything that's baked on to the grill.

Here's another oiler that Steven sells, too, and it's pretty nifty:
http://www.grilling4all.com/sm8014.html

It's basically a cotton pad and a holder (and it's a good idea to get spare pads too), but it does a decent job as well. I picked one up a few years ago for my dad, and I still use it when I'm over at his place. One of the nice things about grill oiling pads is that you can control the amount of oil you release onto the grill by squeezing the pad with your tongs. This works a bit better than paper towels as the towels leave bits of burnt paper on the grill - especially if you still have bits of food stuck to it. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:06 pm
smokeybeaver well done
well done

If you were thinking about buying the oiler, Sur La Table has a screaming deal on it now

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-904193/Sur-La-Table-Grill-Grate-Oiler

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:46 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

My one knock on Steve is he says that we don't need a lot of fancy gadgets to grill or barbecue with good results and then he has his own little cottage industry selling us stuff that we don't need. Here are the things on his essential list that I don't have and have no use for - #'ed but not necessarily in order.
1. Grate Lifter - The grates on my One Touches are hinged. I simply lift up with a set of long handled tongs to add coals or chips.
2. Grill Hoe - I have a dedicated long handled stainless steel spoon that serves this and other purposes.
3. Oiler - Folded over paper towel dipped in oil at the end of long handled spring loaded tongs works great.
4. Lumatong - What the heck is this all about? I still have the original mini-mag light that I got back in the 1980's. This works great for illuminating my grill after dark.
5. Grilling gloves - Yes and no. I have a pair of silicon that I've had for years. Use them to lift the grates on my WSM's or to move a large piece of meat like a whole pork shoulder or packer brisket. Have several pair of heavy leather work gloves on a shelve in my garage. Some have never been used. After almost 50 years of grilling/ barbecue, when I'm working on or around my grills or smokers and I need something to cover me up to my elbows, I'm doing something really wrong.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion