Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Green Lightning Shrimp

Green Lightning Shrimp

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:24 am
Griffin well done
well done

After years and years of meaning to do this recipe, I finally got around to it. This is a recipe by Steven Raichlen, but I changed it a bit to fit us. Left the lime out of the marinade (per a friend's suggestion), saved the garlic cilantro butter that was supposed to be basted on during the cook and drizzled that on at the end, and used a grill pan in lieu of skewers (I was feeling lazy)

Ingredients for the marinade.

All pulsed up

On to the Egg around 500ish, wasn't paying real close attention to the temp

Done after 3 or 4 minutes, plated it up with some grilled chicken Caesar salad. Mrs. G whipped up some amazing dressing, I'll have to ask her where she found the recipe. Plated up picture didn't turn out that good...

But the shrimp sure did! I was surprised that it really had no heat to it what so ever. Maybe I had really mild jalapenos. Regardless, it was really good and will probably become my go-to shrimp recipe from now on.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good choice! This is one of my favorite shrimp recipes, and I see nothing wrong with that plate! :thumbup:

I noticed that if the shrimp are skewered it's the marinade exposed to the fire that loses its heat, but if 2 shrimp happen to be touching the marinade at that point doesn't get cooked and stays spicy.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:37 am
Griffin well done
well done

Hmmm...there's something there to what you've said. I've noticed a lot of jerk recipes get tamed down quite a bit from cooking vs how hot the marinade was. I can't wait to try it again with some of my homegrown jalapenos. They're about ready to be picked. :D

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:04 am

Looks lovely! Which book is it from?

Ang

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:15 am
Griffin well done
well done

I'm not sure what book it is in. Google it and you should come up with the original recipe from BBQ U.

Strike that, I'll save you the effort.

http://www.bbqu.net/recipes/409_2.html

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:42 am

Thank you! That's te one book I don't have!

Ang x

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:33 pm
sroach well done
well done

Some mighty fine looking shrimp.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:24 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
But the shrimp sure did! I was surprised that it really had no heat to it what so ever. Maybe I had really mild jalapenos. Regardless, it was really good and will probably become my go-to shrimp recipe from now on.

First off, great looking shrimp, Griffin! :cheers:

Secondly, I think I know another possible reason why there was no heat. Did you leave out the jalapeno seeds? The reason I ask is I tried some jalapenos this week and the flesh had no heat at all. But when I tried a few seeds they were very hot indeed. This might have happened with yours - maybe all of the heat was in the seeds, liker the ones I tried.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:20 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice!!! On my to-do list. Can't wait to try them. Look delicious!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 am
Griffin well done
well done

CharredGriller - I seeded and deveined them. Still weird. I guess every jalapeno is different. When I do ABTs, some times you get a mild one, sometimes you get a hot one. Can't wait to see what the ones coming out of my garden will be like.

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:09 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
CharredGriller - I seeded and deveined them. Still weird. I guess every jalapeno is different. When I do ABTs, some times you get a mild one, sometimes you get a hot one. Can't wait to see what the ones coming out of my garden will be like.

Yeah, I think that's got to be it. I've got a few jalapenos I'm prepping right now, and with your eyes closed you'd mistake them easily for green bell peppers.

From my own gardening experience I've found that holding off on the water and stressing the plants a bit boosts the heat nicely. Keeping hot peppers watered and fed is great when they're first growing, but as far as I've read it's not a bad idea to stress them while the full-grown peppers are ripening because the heat concentrates itself in both the flesh and the seeds.

In fact, I recall doing this with a couple of pots of Thai birdseye peppers - I stressed one pot and papmered the other. The peppers from the plant I pampered were appreciably hot, but the ones from the pot I stressed were about 2 Scovilles short of a nuclear meltdown. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion