Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Bacon Wrapped Venison Tenderloins

Bacon Wrapped Venison Tenderloins

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:47 am
Griffin well done
well done

Was digging around in the freezer the other night and came across two venison tenderloins and figured it was time to cook them.

Trimmed of fat and silverskin.

Soaked in milk, hot sauce, onions, garlic powder and freshly ground pepper for about 45 minutes.

Tossed them on the Egg. I am now convinced that my thermometer is totally off, so I was just going by feel. Also grilled them for about 10 minutes with the dome closed and then finished them up with the dome open (gasp) to really get the fire going and crisp up the bacon quickly. I guess I could have done them on the MINI. They would have fit, but one of my thermometers got bent, not sure if it works anymore and the remaining one is sitting in the large. Really, really need to check both of them out as I've just been winging it temperature wise for about 3 weeks now. Who needs exact temperatures anyways?

Pulled them at 125 and let them rest for 10 minutes. Plated them up with some brocolli and a side salad.

First time I've ever had venison tenderloins and it was so much better than pork or beef! Wasn't gamey at all and so tender. Now I'm bummed that I don't have any more left. Can't wait for hunting season to start up again this year.

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:10 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Nice work! It's enough to make hunters out of all of us. I'm curious about what the egg does. And very curious to know what time's dinner! SR

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:07 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thermometer or not, that plate looks like a success! :thumbup:

No need to be a hunter around here, especially at this time of year. Do enough driving around dawn or dusk and eventually a deer will be going from grille to grill! :shock:

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:42 am
Griffin well done
well done

Steven wrote:
I'm curious about what the egg does.

I'm a little confused about your statement. Might have been my fault by not being very clear. I meant that I tossed it onto my Big Green Egg, the cook itself did not contain any eggs of the avian variety.

ScreamingChicken - we have to be very careful driving to or from the ranch at those times. Collisions with deer can be very expensive, not to mention the meat can be wasted if internal organs are damaged.

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:13 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
First time I've ever had venison tenderloins and it was so much better than pork or beef! Wasn't gamey at all and so tender. Now I'm bummed that I don't have any more left. Can't wait for hunting season to start up again this year.

I hear you, Griffin! Venison tenderloins are one of my favorite meats to cook, but it's too bad there are only two to a deer. Excellent cook, btw! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:26 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Outstanding! I usually have the loins cubed up. I'll hafta keep them intact next time. Nicely done, Garmin!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:41 am
QJuju well done
well done

I find bacon wrapped pork tenderloins to be very tasty, but I have had venison in a long time. Those look delicious and I too would have wished for leftovers! Nice cook.

Return to General Discussion