Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion June's Online Block Party - Steak!

June's Online Block Party - Steak!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:29 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, Q! I guess I've just had a lot of practice with chuck! :lol:

For me the great thing about mushrooms is that I like them from raw to cooked down to almost nothing, so when I use them like this I can base the doneness on the other vegetable, not the mushrooms.

Post Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:50 am
QJuju well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Those are some beautiful grill marks! Were you cooking on your grill at home or his?

I missed this before... Thanks SC. I was cooking on my small egg. I've had a lot of practice cooking steaks on it. :D

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:52 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Oh, my. I'm looking at this before breakfast. I want this steak NOW!

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:37 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

I joined the block party today-- about time! This month must have five days in it. Where did it go? Second time using my Akorn.

Porterhouse steaks and smoked potatoes, and a salad to look good. Smoked some beans this afternoon - using the Best Baked Beans on the Planet recipe which I follow for the most part. Got them done, then put in my "platesetter" and smoked the potatoes, first time so wasn't sure when they were done. They didn't get done in the time I allotted (I forgot when I put them on), so let the heat climb a bit. They got done enough for me in about 11/4 hours, which SR states as time in his "How To Griil" book.

Took off the taters, took out the griddle i use as platesetter (no real reason, but I did), opened up dampers and let temp rise to 600F. Put on the steaks and dusted with Montreal Steak seasoning. Oh, I made sure the grill grates were hot, lubricated, and clean. After a few minutes I turned the steaks 90 degrees. Then a bit later I turned them over and I could not have made better looking grill marks with a ruler and t-square! Dusted the top with the seasoning, then turned again. Came off maybe a bit too late, but still very good. Next time I should look for thicker steaks, these were not much over 1/2 inch, if that.

Actually, that was the first time grilling steaks I think. When I have time to grill, I either have money to get fuel or meat, not both! Now I need to figure out how much (or how little) charcoal to use in this grill. No pics, but it did happen! :cheers:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:32 am
BBQ Deputy

Sounds like you did everything just right, Jay!

I imagine that a hot kamado cooker can really do a number on a thin cut of meat...

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:41 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Nice, nice, stunning going, guys!!! And Jay, sounds like you nailed it true pitmaster style!

Now I'll just drop by my final three offerings for the party here. First off, I'll try to sell a shank steak.

Here you can see how I seasoned it with ground sage and minced garlic.

To the pit

And let's get this plated with country style taters and mixed steamed greens

And the cross-sectional macro views

But wait... this ain't ready to serve and eat yet... the selling point here is the mushroom gravy. Mmmmm...

Next up is a T-bone. Too long since I've had one of these. I treated this one to a balsamic marinade, with coarse S & P, and rosemary. Got the mesquite smoke going as well.

That sure didn't take long. If you're wondering where my gill marks are, beats the devil out of me.

Of coarse, I wouldn't be me if I did not include my carne asada steak. So last up, here it is. This flap meat gets treated with carne asada seasoning, fresh squeezed orange, minced garlic, and accidental cilantro for marinade

Plated up with lotsa salsa, homemade Mexican rice and refried beans topped with cheese

Got beer???

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:23 am
BBQ Deputy

Great way to finish the month, BC! I've grilled shank a couple of times and it's no easy piece to work with, but yours looks really good!

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:01 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Great way to finish the month, BC! I've grilled shank a couple of times and it's no easy piece to work with, but yours looks really good!

+1. That's some great looking steak, BC!

Brad - the month ain't over yet.... :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:11 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Looks great, BC! 8) I've never tried a steak like that before, but I'd give it a go. Well, without the shroom juice! :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:19 pm
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

BC, Wow! Just WOW!!!

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 pm
medium-rare

I made grilled skirt steak topped with a Sicilian condiment called ammoglio, which is simply made with chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, chopped parsley, salt, and extra virgin olive oil.
Attachments
SkirtSteakAmmoglio.jpg
SkirtSteakAmmoglio.jpg (130.06 KiB) Viewed 2463 times

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:22 pm
medium-rare

Here's a Bacon & Sage Wrapped Buffalo Steak from day 3 at BBQ U with Steven. The class made this together, and I shot the picture.
Attachments
BBQUDay3BuffaloBaconSageWrapSteak.jpg
BBQUDay3BuffaloBaconSageWrapSteak.jpg (123.79 KiB) Viewed 2462 times

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 am
BBQ Deputy

They look like a pair of winners, Christine! :thumbup:

I'd never heard of ammoglio before. Based on your description it sounds somewhat like a chimichurri that's had some tomatoes added.

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:19 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice pics, Christine! That ammoglio sounds like a winner. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:57 am
medium-rare

Yeah, it's similar to chimichurri, and if you're a fan of garlic, I highly recommend topping grilled meats with it.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion