Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Yard Bird with a little mustard and Curry

Yard Bird with a little mustard and Curry

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
QJuju well done
well done

SC did some thighs a while back with a mustard based marinade and it reminded me of this chicken dealio I put together. I test a lot of recipe in the oven in winter and this one was due to go to the grill.

Here is what you will need...
skin-on bone-in yard bird pieces, I like breasts
2/3 stick salted butter, or more depending on the size of your breasts
a big squirt of Dijon mustard, like 1/4 C or more, I prefer Grey Poupon for this purpose
1 T Stevia in the Raw, no more under any circumstance
2 t curry powder or more to taste
kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
**I think a few dashes of cayenne made this better, but She Who Must Be Obeyed did not share my opinion! :lol:

Cleaned and dried breast... dried is very important for crispy skin. I put them on the rack you see and set them back in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours.

The butter is melted and everything but the chicken is mixed in. Then I paint the mixture on the yard bird. The melted butter sort of sets up on the cold chicken. This allows me to get a couple of "coats" on the breasts. So don't feel like you got to get it all on the first time. Go thin and let it cool and then build it up with another pass-- these have about 3 or 4 coats. You can try tossing it, but I didn't find that to be successful. The first cold piece got the most and the rest got less and less. I liked the "brush it on" method for even distribution.

I prepare an indirect 350 degree cooker with a little cherry wood in this case and cook for about 60 to 90 minutes. Until the skin is crispy and the meat is cooked through.

I think deviled eggs are mandatory on Sunday too... :D

There aren't any photos past here as I was way too busy eating. :wink: The skin is supernaturally crisp, the meat tender and juicy, and the curry/mustard flavor is a delectable combination, yet mild enough to be enjoyed by many. This is finger lickin' good!

Thanks for looking and I hope you give it a try.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks great, Q - I'll definitely take a crack at it! I understand about the hot sauce, too... :wink:

Stevia's a sugar substitute, right? How much ordinary refined sugar does a tablespoon of Stevia translate to?

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow - look at the skin on those birds! Excellent job, QJuju - I'm not surprised you stopped taking pics! I wouldn't have even gotten as far. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

sroach well done
well done

WOW look at the coloring!! These look fantastic Q!!

Let me ask, does the flavor get beyond the skin, my wife will pull the skin off before she starts eating.

QJuju well done
well done

SC... Stevia is a sugar substitute and it is supposed to be one to one. I eat so little sweet stuff anymore that I couldn't say if this is accurate.

SR... The smoke flavor gets in a bit, but the butter mix does not. If you pulled the skin back and put it underneath then I think the flavor would penetrate.

Thanks for the comments... It is quite tasty.

Return to General Discussion