Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion REAL pork chops!

REAL pork chops!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:47 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A couple of weeks ago I asked Mrs. Chicken to pick up some pork at the famers' market so she bought a couple of chops from Jordandal Farms, a small producer near the Wisconsin/Illinois border (aka the "Cheddar Curtain").

The first thing I noticed was that they had a nice color - much richer than typical supermarket chops - so all I did was season them with salt and pepper and put them in the fridge.
Image Image

They grilled up beautifully! I didn't take any plated shots but they had a nice pink tinge in the center and the fat was absolutely delicious!

Recently I found some smoked jowl (what I've taken to calling "face bacon" :lol: ) in the store so I bought a package to go with some brussels sprouts that were seasoned with salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar.
Image Image

Unfortunately the sprouts didn't turn out as well as I hoped they would. They got a little too dark although I did get lucky and had hardly any bits that were actually burned, and my wife and daughter didn't care for the balsamic vinegar flavor.

And just to round out the meal I bought a package of those portobello caps stuffed with "seafood". They're easy to grill, taste OK, and I added some fresh parmesan shavings for a personal touch.
Image Image

These were some of the best pork chops I've ever had. The meat had excellent flavor with just salt and pepper and I've already mentioned how much I liked the fat, so we'll definitely be eating a little more artisan/small-producer pork from time to time. As you might expect the only downside is the price, but in this case you definitely get what you pay for!

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
These were some of the best pork chops I've ever had. The meat had excellent flavor with just salt and pepper and I've already mentioned how much I liked the fat, so we'll definitely be eating a little more artisan/small-producer pork from time to time. As you might expect the only downside is the price, but in this case you definitely get what you pay for!

Well, they definitely look fantastic as does the rest of the spread. Were these Berkshire pork chops like the one's I've seen you cook in the past?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:50 pm
BBQ Deputy

Jordandal raises a Yorkshire/Duroc cross and you can read about it here. I might have to inquire about a larger purchase sometime but right now the freezer's too full of beef and other things to allow room for a lot of pork.

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:20 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

I went in on a 1/2 pig oh 5 or 6 years ago and got some pork chops out of it plus many other cuts but the pork chop was amazing. It really took me back to when I was a young kid in the 70's when meat was well, real meat. The flavor was amazing and I will never forget that. I would love to go in again on a pig.

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:38 am
Griffin well done
well done

Good looking pork chops. Way better than what I typically see in the store.

The face bacon immediately made me think of guanciale (which is Italian face bacon, but not smoked). Its what is supposed to be used in carbonara, not bacon. I wonder how yours smoked version would work in it.

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:57 am
BBQ Deputy

I'll bet it would work pretty good. Just recently I saw an episode of "Lidia's Italy in America" where she was using guanciale in a recipe and it looked like good stuff.

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:30 am
Trollby well done
well done

Brad were these at the Saturday Square farmers market or another one?

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:26 pm
sroach well done
well done

Very nice looking chops you got there.. beautiful marbling and color. also a big fan of the sprouts on the grill.

Post Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:45 am
BBQ Deputy

Trollby wrote:
Brad were these at the Saturday Square farmers market or another one?
Yes, the Dane County market. I rarely get down there but my wife goes on occasion.

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:06 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

My favorite sprout recipe (my wife's) is to parbpoil them, and wrap them in buttered parchment paper. Roast them, and the sugar just OOZES out of them and caramelizes.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:58 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I'm so glad to hear conversation about heritage pork. I've been in Portland, Oregon, for a few days and yesterday I visited Tails & Trotters, run by two guys who specialize in large hogs finished with hazelnuts. Exquisite marbling and extraordinary flavor. Let's hear it for our local farmers and growers!

BTW, those chops look AMAZING!

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:27 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
I'm so glad to hear conversation about heritage pork. I've been in Portland, Oregon, for a few days and yesterday I visited Tails & Trotters, run by two guys who specialize in large hogs finished with hazelnuts. Exquisite marbling and extraordinary flavor. Let's hear it for our local farmers and growers!

I've got a guy just up the road who raises Berkshire pigs. It's tough to get them, though, as he's just swamped with orders. With a bit of luck maybe I'll score some this year. Heck - I'd be happy with one single chop. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:30 am
QJuju well done
well done

Chops look fantastic and the sprouts look good too. I haven't tried them with jowl, lots of regular bacon though, and I think that's worth a go. Face bacon... love it! I had them recently with pancetta and that was very tasty!

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 am
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
I've been in Portland, Oregon, for a few days and yesterday I visited Tails & Trotters, run by two guys who specialize in large hogs finished with hazelnuts. Exquisite marbling and extraordinary flavor. Let's hear it for our local farmers and growers!

Thanks!!

Here's a link to Tails & Trotters. Do NOT look at the slideshow of you're even the slightest bit hungry...

Return to General Discussion