Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mexi-Turkey Meatloaf

Mexi-Turkey Meatloaf

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:17 am
QJuju well done
well done

I've been playing around with this recipe for a bit and decided it needed some smoke. I used some Cherry wood and started low and slow and then ramped up the heat to finish it off.

The loaf mixture is as follows...

~1 C almond meal
2# ground turkey... I use 1# dark meat and 1# white
green pepper, diced... although next time I believe it will be a red bell
onion, diced
a good splash of cream... enough to make it wet, but not runny
fresh parsley, chopped... a good handful
2 or 3 or 12 good shakes of Tapatio or your favorite hot sauce
2 eggs, scrambled
garlic to taste, minced
oregano, dried... like a teaspoon or so
a dash of cumin
1 or 2 Tablespoons of chili powder, this time I used half and half ancho and chipotle

Those ingredients are lightly tossed to form the loaf. Then I lay a bed of onions on a foil pan with a squirt of vegetable oil, and place the loaf on top. That goes back in the fridge for about 30 minutes to let the ingredients combine and set while I start the cooker. Then I pour a jar of salsa on top. I used Frontera Grill all natural salsa with green chile and cilantro this time, but I have used many kinds during the past year. For me the key is to use a salsa without added sugar. I really liked this salsa; great flavor and mild enough for the missus. I will let the photos do the talking from here.

The production...

Just because I liked the close up... :D

There was a salad too, but y'all have seen lettuce before. :lol:

The smoke was just what it needed to add that extra layer to the flavor profile. It is good in the oven, but I think Steven says it best when he says anything is better on the grill. It was really good leftover too...

Thanks for looking and be sure to post your variations if you give it a go.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice and that's an interesting approach with the bed of onions! Did you come up with it yourself? And are they sacrificial or can they be eaten as a side dish?

I would've never thought to add cream as an ingredient, either.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:42 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow - great looking meatloaf, QJuju! I'm with you on the red bell pepper - I prefer it to green. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:41 pm
QJuju well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Very nice and that's an interesting approach with the bed of onions! Did you come up with it yourself? And are they sacrificial or can they be eaten as a side dish?

I would've never thought to add cream as an ingredient, either.

Thanks... that is our idea. We have used it for meatloaf for sometime. It allowed for easy cleanup and the grease to run out. Turned out they are tasty too! So we definitely eat them.

The cream helps soften the almond meal a bit I suppose. It's a tad dry without it.

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:02 am
Trollby well done
well done

Looks very tasty, may have to try this.

My mom use to save old bread and dry it out to make the chunky "bread crumbs" for the meatloaf then soak with milk to help keep from drying out the meatloaf, I think cream would be even better.

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:24 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I love how you cooked your meatloaf on a bed of onions! 8) Pass me a slice please.

Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:57 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

Bob-BQN good to see you around again, Stephen King was right, sometimes they do come back .. :lol: ... good to see you again. Sorry didn't mean to high jack.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Return to General Discussion