Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion I'm Back ...

I'm Back ...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:34 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Due to time restraints, I haven't been around for a while but hopefully will get more active.
I am still grilling and barbecueing as often as possible - more grill than barbecue. I've done burgers and Italian sausages, porked tenderloin sliced into medallions and marinated in 1 part worcestershire sauce, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part raw organic blue agave - high heat 'cued at 325 degrees with a little mixed hardwood for smoke, 2 dozen ABT's with leftover tenderloin, cheddar, a McCormick Pork Rub - of course draped with bacon and a couple lbs. of Jamaican Jerk Shrimp in the past week. Grilled chicken pieces - legs, thighs, and breasts on the agenda for tonight.
I've also done a couple batches of tuna jerky in the past few weeks. Had some fish in the freezer that was getting to either use or toss and decided to experiment. Sliced ahi tuna for jerky, smoked tilapia and a shark steak. All were cured with Billy Bones Wall's XXX Cherry rub. Liked the jerky so much, I bought more ahi and a little albacore and made a batch for my Dad as part of his Father's Day gift. Will do more tuna jerky this week. I like the tuna so much that I may never do beef again.
I've also done boneless beef short ribs, from Costco, a couple of times in the past month or so. With the new renaming of beef and pork cuts that is taking effect, I do not think these are a true short rib. Look like a well marbled 6 or 7 ounce strip steak - know they are not. I've done them with a couple different rubs and a couple different woods for smoke. These might be my beef of choice, for the season, as long as I can get them.
Hope you all are doing good! Although I haven't been active, I've lurked a little and know there are some really good things going on. Happy grilling and 'cueing to all!
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:47 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome back, Cactus1 - looks like you've been quite busy! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:29 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Thanks - Keep busy ... But life is good!
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:14 am
sroach well done
well done

Welcome back Cactus1!!!

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:24 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good to see you again, Cactus!

Those "short ribs" sound interesting, to say the least!

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:24 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Thanks all ... It is good to be back.
Mentioned that chicken was on the agenda for last night. Local Jewel had bone in breasts, thighs, and legs on sale for $.99 lb. Guess I went overboard with the packs I picked. had 4 breasts that looked like they came off of a small turkey, 12 thighs, and 14 legs. Used my 26 3/4" One Touch Gold and I had to double stack the thighs at the beginning of the cook to make it all fit. Used a couple different rubs - Jars with small quantities that I wanted to use up.
Very brief severe storm - high wind, thunder & lightning, heavy rain - came in about 1/2 hour before the chicken was ready - storm lasted less than 10 minutes. I was grilling at 325 degrees. When I went to check and turn chicken the grill temp had dropped to to 230.
Chicken was really good but skin did not get as crisp as I like it due to the wind and rain temp drop.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:39 pm
BBQ Deputy

We've certainly been getting the rough weather these last couple of days...glad to hear you didn't suffer any real damage. And the chicken sounds just fine!

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:11 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Weather Service has officially called the storm a derecho. It was fast, severe, and over before it started. Over 300,000 people in the Chicago area lost power - Just in time for the Blackhawk's big win in the Stanley Cup Championship. Niece had to sit in the car and listen on the radio. Friends about a mile from us had to hook up a portable generator to power the TV. Lights flickered a couple of times but we never lost power. There were still about 75,000 without power this morning. Haven't heard but think most have been restored.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:41 am
Attrill well done
well done

Welcome back! I'm doing the same myself and trying to get back to posting more frequently.

Glad to hear you got to at least listen to the Hawks game - great end to a great series!

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Attrill wrote:
Welcome back! I'm doing the same myself and trying to get back to posting more frequently.

Glad to hear you got to at least listen to the Hawks game - great end to a great series!

Never lost my power. I saw each and every game of all the Hawks games thru the playoffs and Stanley Cup Final.

Attrill - You say Chicago in your profile. Where? I'm in Indian Head Park - just northeast of I55 / I294 junction.

Screaming Chicken - Did you get it up by you overnight? We didn't here but heard reports of up to 6" in the northern part of the area. Caused flooding, closed roads and the Eden's Expressway, radio is reporting that they are pumping out 2 apartment complexes just north / northeast of O'Hare. We did have some rain this morning but no big deal.

Hope the weather holds off. Have a meatloaf planned for tonight and would rather do on the grill than in the oven.
Going to pick up some sweet corn to go with and make a simple red pepper, cucumber, and onion salad to go with.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:36 pm
BBQ Deputy

I can't remember for sure but this week we've been getting significant rainfall every day; I think I heard this morning that it was over 3" in the last 24 hours. And my grilling's been washed out, too, but because my covered cooking area is flooded. :( I hope you can get your meatloaf in tonight!

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:39 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

:( :( - For you ... :) :) - For me! Have a good one. Hope you are back at it soon!
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:32 pm
Attrill well done
well done

Cactus1 wrote:
Attrill - You say Chicago in your profile. Where? I'm in Indian Head Park - just northeast of I55 / I294 junction.

Oh yeah - I know right where that is. I was in Burr Ridge just a few days ago. I'm in the Southern end of Logan Square, between the California and Western Blue Line stops.

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:45 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Attrill - you need to come to Burr Ridge again, send me a private email - address should be in my profile - and I'll give you a phone # to reach me. Some good places there for lunch and maybe we can get together. Don't get to Logan Square area to frequently.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion