Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Portobello sliders

Portobello sliders

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:18 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A couple of weeks ago Mrs. Chicken found this recipe on the Vegetarian Times website so I used it as a rough guideline to come up with my own sliders.

I started by finding some smaller portobellos in the store and tossing them with a little olive oil and basic rub.

I also grated some smoked Gruyere cheese.

The caps were grilled gills-down to start and after a few minutes I flipped them over, spooned in some of Steven's Chipotle Molasses barbecue sauce, and topped them with the shredded cheese.

I put them on toasted slider buns and didn't bother to add any toppings.

The sliders were really good and everyone liked them, and the best part is that the recipe's really versatile and can be made with almost an infinite combination of ingredients. Oil, rub, sauce, and cheese...can it get much easier?

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:16 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Those look great! Like you said the possibilities are endless. Definitely going to have to try them soon - maybe this Sunday for our family Sunday dinner. I'm doing a ham and grill roasted potatoes and either fresh green beans or asparagus - maybe both. If I do them Sunday, I won't serve as an slider- no bun - just grilled and filled.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:58 am
Attrill well done
well done

Very nice! I do something similar with EVOO, S+P, and chopped fresh oregano and thyme. Mushrooms are always great grilled.

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:30 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Attrill wrote:
Very nice! I do something similar with EVOO, S+P, and chopped fresh oregano and thyme. Mushrooms are always great grilled.

+1 - they sure are. I like Brad's particular mix of seasonings, though I prefer a slightly less sweet sauce.

Steven's Chipotle Molasses sauce is also fabulous on any kind of pork but my absolute favorite for this sauce is on pork shoulder steaks.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:06 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Attrill wrote:

+1 - they sure are. I like Brad's particular mix of seasonings, though I prefer a slightly less sweet sauce.

Steven's Chipotle Molasses sauce is also fabulous on any kind of pork but my absolute favorite for this sauce is on pork shoulder steaks.

Mushrooms and the grill ... endless possibilities!
Have never tried the Chipotle Molasses but going to have to pick some up soon. I'm good on sauce right now ... just counted 4 open bottles in the fridge that I'm working thru and another 10, unopened, in the pantry. All different. + I'll be visiting Uncle Bub's, in Westmont, IL, in the near future and will leave with a couple of bottles of their sauce. Uncle Bub's won Best Sauce at the Best of The West, in Reno, in 2011 + will do well at the Naperville (IL) RibFest from July 3 - 7. I might even have the opportunity to give them a hand at RibFest.
++ Know I'm doing a ham on the grill for our family Sunday dinner this week. If I'm not working at RibFest, I'll do whole pork loins with a couple different home made sauces over the weekend of the 4th. One of them will be Steve's Redeye Sauce from BBQ USA. I've been having a real taste for it lately.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:51 am
sroach well done
well done

SC,

Very nice looking sliders. I'll have to make these for the wife. somehow yours fit perfectly on the bun too.

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:15 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just lucky, I guess! :lol:

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

I like that!
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:14 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Not exact recipe but here's how I did mine ...
Diced mushroom stems and mixed with a little panko, cheddar cheese, and Billy Bones Wall's XXX Cherry Rub. Stuffed mushroom caps and added a dollop of Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce. Grilled until the mushrooms had cooked, cheese melted, and sauce carmelized over a medium fire for about 8 or 10 minutes.
Did not serve on a bun for a slider but used as an appetizer for Sunday Family Dinner.
Used the leftover stuffing on a nice butter hard roll and grilled on an old CharBroil grill that I cleaned up and had to re-season that I'm giving to one of my nieces for my lunch today. "Killed two birds with one stone!"
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion