Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weekend Cooks

Weekend Cooks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:02 am
Griffin well done
well done

Busy weekend for sure (had to work both Saturday and Sunday), but still had to take some time off for fun. Saturday, we went over to a buddies house to sit in the pool, sip on some cold beverages and he grilled for us. Not We started off with ABTs two different ways, one with pimento cheese and one with Laughing Cow queso fresco and chipotle.

I really liked the pimento cheese ones. Unfortunately, it was just Price's Pimento Cheese, but they were still tasty. I'm going to do some later this week with home made pimento cheese. Somehow, I didn't taste the ones with queso fresco and chipotle, but they looked good and the cheese held up, it didn't leak out everywhere. There were some other things cooked as well, but I didn't take any pictures.

Sunday, I decided to cook some chickens on the Egg. One for dinner and one for Mrs. G to throw in a casserole or something later this week. The first one just had a light rub of salt and pepper, some Ranch dressing powder and some Greek seasonings. No smoke since it would be used in another dish. Cooked using the top rack of the AR at 400 direct.

On the second one, I used a blend JH Texas Chicken Tickler, Stubbs BBQ rub and some ranch. Cooked them with the same set up but used some mesquite chips for the smoke (the smoke being the reason I didn't cook them both at the same time).

No plated up pics as we were starving as sides were only some bacon bleu cheese potato salad and a cucumber salad both from Central Market. The potato salad was outstanding. Would love to figure out a recipe so I can make it at home. Anybody got one they are willing to share? Even after having the Egg as long as I have, it still freaks me out some times how juicy chicken comes out. Look at all that extra juice on the tray even after letting it rest for over 10 minutes! Definitely was a 3 paper towel kinda meal.

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It was unfortunate you had to work over the weekend (what's your job?) but I'm sure those ABTs and chicken helped ease the pain! :wink: The second bird looks really juicy!

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Here's how my weekend went ...
Friday night - Went to 4 year old grandson, Donald's, very 1st ever T-Ball game. What a riot! Donald had a good game, fielding 8 hit balls and getting 4 hits. He's a natural switch-hitter and we do not discourage him. He had 3 hits from the right side and got another the only time he lined up as a lefty. Went to a local classic Chicago pizza place - Al's Pizzaria, in Cicero, IL, to celebrate. Family and I do not often agree on pizza - we did at Al's. They also had a great salad / anti pasta bar that I could have made my meal out of. In fact we did! Gave 6 adults (and comped Donald - they lost on that - Donald loves salad and his plate was filled 3 times) for their "with meal" price of $3.99 because we ordered two large pizzas. I will go back for the salad / anti pasta bar for a meal in the near future and order the pizza for carryout. Leftover pizza did not go to waste - I finished it Sunday night.
Saturday - Went to a niece's birthday party. I did not "man the grill". Her Dad did and did a good job! He grilled burgers, brats, and hot dogs. Wife (Sue) made an easy apple dumpling recipe using Pillsbury Crescent Rolls with Mountain Dew as part of the glaze for one of the desserts.
Sunday - Family Dinner! I smoked, OK I reheated, a semiboneless ham in my 18 1/2" WSM, but added a little hickory for a little more smoke. Grill roasted potatoes in olive oil and butter using sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to season. Marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and crushed garlic a bunch of fresh asparagus. Made the stuffed portobello mushrooms as an appetizer. All were done on my 26 3/4 Weber OTG using Royal Oak Hickory briquettes. Sue steamed fresh green beans then sauteed in olive oil and garlic. She also made a batch of cupcakes and homemade Triple Chocolate Ice Cream (move over Ben & Jerry - this ice cream is great) for dessert.
Leftover ham made a few great ham sandwiches. Have enough left to make a family favorite Pennsylvania Dutch Ham & Noodle casserole. And I have a bone to make a batch of pinto beans using Vencil Mares - Taylor Cafe, Taylor TX - recipe from Robb Walsh's "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cook Book" - when I smoke a brisket, or another type of beef, in the next few weeks for another Sunday Family Dinner.
After a hastle with Direct TV, I was able to watch friend and up and coming barbecue legend, Rob "Rub" Ragby of Swamp Boys Barbecue, in Winter Haven, FL, win his competition Sunday night in Myron Mixon's BBQ Pitmasters series on Destination America. Rub will now move on to the next round and if he wins it all will win $50,000 and the prestige of being a true barbecue champion. He already is - he has 30 Grand Champion and 39 Reserve Grand Champion trophies, over the past 6 years to prove it.
All in all ... It was a pretty good weekend!
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:03 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Griffin - You mentioned no smoke on the 2nd chicken because it will be used for another dish later this week. I often make extra or use leftover smoked meat for another dish. I think the smoke enhances the flavor in whatever I use it for. Often do extra chicken for Smoked Chicken Salad or a Smoked Cheesecake that I like to make with leftover barbecue. I don't sauce much on the grill or smoker, use it on the side, but never sauce a meat that I make extra for another dish.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 am
Griffin well done
well done

ScreamingChicken - I work in a lab running city water samples. We're open just about 365 days a year...ok like 359. Usually we have to work 1 in 5 weekends, but we are down a guy and now have to work 1 in 4. Just happened to be my turn.

Cactus it was the first chicken I went no smoke. I find it gets enough from the lump charcoal if used in a casserole, but overpowering if too much wood chips are added.

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:07 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
ScreamingChicken - I work in a lab running city water samples. We're open just about 365 days a year...ok like 359. Usually we have to work 1 in 5 weekends, but we are down a guy and now have to work 1 in 4. Just happened to be my turn.

Cactus it was the first chicken I went no smoke. I find it gets enough from the lump charcoal if used in a casserole, but overpowering if too much wood chips are added.

Griffin - I agree lump will give enough smoke for a casserole. I only use lump in my WSM's. I use Trader Joe's Natural Hardwood usually on my grills, but just recently obtained a good sized quantity of Royal Oak infused with Hickory and Mesquite chips. I've never used charcoal imbedded with wood chips before so I have nothing to compare. I've used some of each and I like them. Just about perfect smoke for the grill.
I like to try to use smoke subtly - I really don't want to oversmoke anything - just enough for a good flavor and smoke ring. I've found that a little smoke will enhance a stew or soup and, depending, even a casserole.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:22 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Griffin wrote:

Griffin - I agree lump will give enough smoke for a casserole. I only use lump in my WSM's. I use Trader Joe's Natural Hardwood usually on my grills, but just recently obtained a good sized quantity of Royal Oak infused with Hickory and Mesquite chips. I've never used charcoal imbedded with wood chips before so I have nothing to compare. I've used some of each and I like them. Just about perfect smoke for the grill.
I like to try to use smoke subtly - I really don't want to oversmoke anything - just enough for a good flavor and smoke ring. I've found that a little smoke will enhance a stew or soup and, depending, even a casserole.

I've used both types of that Royal Oak charcoal and I've found it does a really good job, too. It's not too smoky and it gives a lighter, more subtle smoke taste than using wood chips or chunks.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:31 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I usually buy the Trader Joe's Natural Hardwood Briquettes for my grills - made by Rancher and Royal Oak Lump for my WSM's.
Menards had it on sale for $5.99 a couple of weeks ago with a $3.00 mail in rebate - limit 4 bags. $2.99 net for a 16.6 lb bag. Had never used a charcoal with imbedded chips before but figured I'd give it a try at that price.
I got my 4 - stepson bought 4 more for me and then nephew bought 4 more for me. They're keeping rebates, but that's still about 200 lb of charcoal for a little over $30.00.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:32 pm
QJuju well done
well done

That's one fine looking cook... poppers and chicken. Perfection.

Return to General Discussion