Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pizza

Pizza

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Do you pizza grillers use a pizza stone or just toss on a grill? Which seems to be the best way? Never tried a pizza on the grill before- myself or seen it done. :bbq:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:03 am
Griffin well done
well done

I've done both. It all depends on your grill and what you are trying to achieve. If you go the pizza stone, it's not techinically grilling, I wouldn't think. Make sure to pre-heat your stone for at least a good 30 minutes, though. I haven't directly grilled a pizza in awhile, but I need to do one soon. I miss that style. Thin, crispy pizza. Grill it, remove it, flip it, top it and throw it back on. Good stuff.

Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:44 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

I use a stone but have had trouble with the bottom burning before the toppings are done. I have tried preheating, placing coals indirect and direct both. I need to experiment more because the flavor is awesome. I did a cajun pizza with sliced andouille and shrimp. It was awesome.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:31 am
sroach well done
well done

+1 on what Griffin said..

Steven's HTG book has a great recipe for making a nice dough you can throw right on the grill.

Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:54 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

I use to grill pizza direct but I now use a stone and I am happy with the results. I use parchment paper first to prevent burning then go directly on to the stone to crisp up the crust.

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:44 pm
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

I did I guess a pizza oven-esque version. I put the platesetter on my egg legs down, put the pizza stone on that then let it come to temp over about an hour.
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:27 am
Griffin well done
well done

That's how we often do ours, Baychilla, but using some spacers between the plate setter and the stone so that there is some airflow underneath. Lately, I've been skippig the plate setter and using the Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill store instead and trying to get it higher in the dome. Have you tried grilling any directly on the Egg?

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:32 am
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

Not yet but those pics are making me hungry.
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:19 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good to see you again, Baychilla!

And +1 on the hungry. :wink:

Return to General Discussion