Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pork chops w/oregano & olive oil

Pork chops w/oregano & olive oil

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Recently I saw an episode of America's Test Kitchen that pointed out that many herbs are oil-soluble. I had some regular pork chops so after hitting them with some salt and pepper I added some dried oregano and a splash of olive oil, and then I put them in the fridge overnight.

I used a medium-low direct fire and didn't have too much trouble with flareups.

While the oregano flavor wasn't overpowering it was definitely noticeable, so apparently the olive oil did its thing. Next time I try this I'm going to use fresh herbs instead to see what happens.

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:19 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

I love pork because it seems to take on flavors easily. I guess that's why pork sausage taste best. Pork tenderloin is my go to cut and I still love rosemary and garlis. I make an emulsion with garlic, fresh rosemary, and olive oil in my small processor. Rub the tnderloins and let them sit for a while in the frig. I salt and pepper just before putting them on the grill. Simple, easy, and always fits the bill.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:58 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BubbaQue wrote:
I love pork because it seems to take on flavors easily. I guess that's why pork sausage taste best. Pork tenderloin is my go to cut and I still love rosemary and garlis. I make an emulsion with garlic, fresh rosemary, and olive oil in my small processor. Rub the tnderloins and let them sit for a while in the frig. I salt and pepper just before putting them on the grill. Simple, easy, and always fits the bill.

Pork chops and pork steaks are my go-to cuts - I tend to grill them more than other meats although that's changed a bit. What I like them best for is testing new rubs and marinades because they take on flavors as BubbaQue described.

Brad - nice job on the pork chops! The oregano trick is good and dried oregano has a more concentrated flavor than fresh, too, so you might actually get milder results with fresh oregano (unless you get the Greek stuff). Rosemary is also oil-soluble so it would be a good herb to try, too. In fact, I believe a lot of the Mediterranean herbs are oil-soluble - and I also believe that the aromatic oils in most herbs are oil-soluble to varying degrees.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion