Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beef sirloin

Beef sirloin

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:27 am
Attrill well done
well done

I just realized I haven't posted anything I've cooked for a looong time and decided to post my favorite cook from the last 12 months or so. I've gotten really into butchering, and mostly buy primal cuts from either local farms or places like Costco. A friend of mine asked me to cook for 70 people late last fall and I decide to go with beef sirloins as the main dish.

I started with 3 full sirloins that I butchered into their 3 main parts:

I gave these a light rub of salt, guajillo powder, and garlic powder and let them sit overnight.

For the fire I set up a heavy duty grill of 1/2" bar steel to give a good sear over a hot oak fire and then set up a smaller diameter grill past that for slower cooking over the oak embers. I built a large oak fire that I pushed under the grills as needed.

After the sear and 20 minutes over the embers I held them for 15 minutes or so in a very low smoker while we got everything set up to serve. The final internal temp for all of them ranged between 130-135. I've found this range works really well for cuts that have some connective tissue in them. A tenderloin may work at 120-125, but a sirloin won't. A slow roast (higher than a smoke - 275 to 325) helps breaks down the tissue, while a good hot fire gives a nice sear to the outside at the beginning or end.

I served it with burnt tomatoes and chimmichuri on top. I wish I had more photos of the finished product, but when you're cooking for 70 the photography sort of takes a back seat. It was a huge hit, and a lot of the guys actually hugged me after trying it. This was a hunting trip, so it wasn't a very huggy group. Grown men cried tears of joy (although those guys were pretty drunk). I think it went over well!

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:27 am
sroach well done
well done

Very cool pictures, Man, that's a lot of meat and a really cool set up for the grill.

I will have to look up guajillo powder.

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:30 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job, Attrill - that's what I'd call Really Big Beef! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:08 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Attrill wrote:
Grown men cried tears of joy (although those guys were pretty drunk).
I LOVE YOU, MAN!! :lol:

Did you score the pieces before grilling or are those the grill marks? How thin did you slice them? Looks like a perfect meal for a hunting party.

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:15 pm
Attrill well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Very cool pictures, Man, that's a lot of meat and a really cool set up for the grill.

I will have to look up guajillo powder.

Thanks! I really like these guys for chile powders. Best quality I've ever found.

http://shop.nativeseeds.org/collections/chile-powders

I scored the fat on the top cap cuts (you can see those on the right) but not on the others. I used a 1/2" steel bar grill to sear so they got some some very nice sear marks on them.

Return to General Discussion