Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion July 4 ribs

July 4 ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:38 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A couple of weeks ago the grocery store had back ribs on sale so I picked up a rack to go with the rack I had in the freezer, and we ate them on the 4th of July.

Ironically, I chose Malaysian paste and Spanish rub for the seasonings. :?: :!: :?:

I prepped them the night before. The Malaysian paste is extremely fragrant and really stunk up the fridge! :lol:

They cooked over briquettes and apple chunks on my WSM for about 4-1/2 hours at around 250-275 grate temperature and I used the exposed bone test to decide when they were done.

Both versions had some good smoke. The ribs with the Spanish rub had a more straightforward salt-pepper-spice flavor while the Malaysian ribs were a little more exotic from the ginger and other regional flavors, and they also had a little more heat. The family preferred the Spanish ribs but I was pleased with the overall results.

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:52 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Both versions had some good smoke. The ribs with the Spanish rub had a more straightforward salt-pepper-spice flavor while the Malaysian ribs were a little more exotic from the ginger and other regional flavors, and they also had a little more heat. The family preferred the Spanish ribs but I was pleased with the overall results.

Well, that just means there's more Malaysian spice paste for the chicken!

Those ribs look absolutely great, Brad! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion