Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Dry aged Waygu burnt ends (feeding the co-workers)

Dry aged Waygu burnt ends (feeding the co-workers)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
smokin'gal well done
well done

My co-workers have repeatedly asked me to bring in some of my barbecue. So when my plans to cook and bring a dry aged Wagyu brisket over to a friend's house fell through (gotta love being on-call), my work colleagues became the beneficiaries. The brisket was dry aged for 50 days using the dry bag steak method:

Day 1:

Day 50:
The brisket lost close to 4 pounds of tasteless water:

This is the second post I've made about dry aged Wagyu brisket. Since the first one contains detailed shots of the flat, I'm not going to focus on that cut in this post. This is the part of the brisket I was most concerned with--the point:

I've never made burnt ends and thought what better product to use for the first try than a 50 day dry aged Wagyu brisket. I began trimming:

I mean, just look at this marbling...it's gorgeous!

After trimming, the brisket weighed in at a little over 8 lbs:

I kept the rub fairly simple:

The flat and point were separated and seasoned with the rub, as I wanted as much bark as possible on the point:

I went with a combo of apple and cherry for this cook, with a chunk of mesquite. I don't remember how long into the cook this was, but things were shaping up fairly nicely. The point was positioned on top of the flat, basting the flat with its wonderful fat and juices:

I didn't keep tabs on the temp of the point, opting instead to just check for tenderness. When a probe went through it like a hot knife through warm butter, I knew it was ready to start its journey into becoming meat candy:

The point was cubed and re-seasoned with Dizzy Dust, then left to smoke again for close to two hours:

The meat was then coated in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and tossed back on the Egg for several hours. This was repeated twice:

This was after the first round of saucing and smoking. After the second round, the ends were placed in the fridge:

The next day I decided to give the ends from the point a third round of saucing and smoking on the Egg (not pictured). In addition, the crispy ends from all sides of the flat were cut off and cubed for more burnt ends:

My co-workers were going to supply the odds and ends for the rest of the meal, but I realized I needed more protein to feed the masses. As they love their pork ribs, I picked up four racks of spares. To my surprise, I discovered IBP was committing a grievous atrocity:

This is sacrilege! IBP telling the American public to boil ribs! What the.... No, no, no! Their marketing team should be flogged and fired, and in that order. Anyway, I trimmed up the ribs St. Louis style, seasoned them with Dizzy Dust, and onto the egg they went (along with the rib tips):

In the meantime, I made some cabernet BBQ sauce by taking two bottles of Lindeman's cabernet, and reducing this by half before adding in a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's:

The spares fresh off the smoker:

All sauced up:

I also smoked two turkey kielbasa sausages.

That afternoon, we all got our grub on:

My co-workers were very happy, with the burnt ends being the prized favorite. I must admit, I put my foot in those bad boys. The burnt ends from the flat were your typical meat candy--crispy, chewy, saucy nuggets of deeply flavorful dry aged beef. But the ends from the point were ethereal. Fatty, luscious, sinful. One guys eyes appeared as though he was falling into a blissful trance with each bite, while another colleague let out a half-moan/half-chuckle with his initial taste.

The happy co-workers:

He's prepping for another plateful (also offering to donate to the "BBQ fund, so that I can continue supplying the BBQ):

This guy's smile changed to a grimace after devouring a third plate:

Several stragglers from other teams and members of management found their way to our section and helped themselves. It didn't take too long before things were polished off:

My team had a series of meetings to attend after this meal. We were all struggling to stay awake. Ah, good times and good eats.

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Really nice-looking grub, smokin'gal! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

jstewart well done
well done

Wow!!!! :D :D :D You have some very lucky co-workers!!! That was simply amazing, thanks for sharing....
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

smokeybeaver well done
well done

That looks great.

Where are you finding Snake River Farms products in Seattle?

smokin'gal well done
well done

smokeybeaver wrote:
Where are you finding Snake River Farms products in Seattle?

http://store.snakeriverfarms.com

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The empty bowls and plates say it all!

You didn't say anything, so how did one of the point cubes taste when they were first cut and before getting the burnt ends treatment? I'd be absolutely shocked if you didn't sample at least one!

The color of the uncooked, aged brisket was just fantastic, and I couldn't agree more about the marbling!

I'm glad I don't work in a cube farm but if food like that showed up every so often I think I could tolerate it. :wink:

smokin'gal well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
You didn't say anything, so how did one of the point cubes taste when they were first cut and before getting the burnt ends treatment? I'd be absolutely shocked if you didn't sample at least one!

I tried a few pieces. They tasted very rich, luscious, and beefy, and like they were in dire need of more fat rendering.

Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Gal, you always go the extra mile! 8) I had brisket for dinner this evening and will be smoking four racks of ribs in the morning. This post has got my juices flowing and ready for more.

Return to General Discussion