Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hot dogs coast to coast

Hot dogs coast to coast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:25 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

I guess I'm way off the Hot Dog eating scene. The only dogs I've ever had were either boiled and in a bun with ketchup or mustard, sometimes relish or grilled on a grill, okay I guess on a griddle too.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:46 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Now you're talking! A hot dog (or split Polish sausage) with cream cheese, grilled onions, sauerkraut and spicy brown mustard sounds like one really great dog - no ketchup on mine, either. :D

Actually, that's pretty close to one of my favorite hot dogs anyway - I'd just have to swap out the regular cheese for cream cheese and everything else would stay the same.

I could eat this hot dog. Add the grilled onions, sauerkraut, spicy brown mustard, and a few jalapeno slices! Only ever eaten at Pike Place Market (great battered and deep fried salmon) in Seattle. Need to get back out there one of these years and sample some of the other great foods.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

jayeffel wrote:
I guess I'm way off the Hot Dog eating scene. The only dogs I've ever had were either boiled and in a bun with ketchup or mustard, sometimes relish or grilled on a grill, okay I guess on a griddle too.

Jay - You live in or near Chambersburg, Pa. You should be able to get some good quality locally produced hot dogs around there. Need to get yourself a pound or two, some cheap store brand buns - don't bother with the national brands - your favorite condiments (no catsup preferably), and fire up that CharGriller kamado. Tonight is probably to late but what are you having for dinner tomorrow?
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:35 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

Seattle-Q wrote:
A huge hit here in Seattle are street cart hot dogs with cream cheese on them. Never tried them myself but everyone at 3AM say they are amazing.

As a life long resident of the Northeast, I find hot dogs and cream cheese unappealing. In my mind can the only thing worthy of a cream cheese topping are bagels and smoked salmon.

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:03 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Joe Grod wrote:
Seattle-Q wrote:
A huge hit here in Seattle are street cart hot dogs with cream cheese on them. Never tried them myself but everyone at 3AM say they are amazing.

As a life long resident of the Northeast, I find hot dogs and cream cheese unappealing. In my mind can the only thing worthy of a cream cheese topping are bagels and smoked salmon.

Personal preference but I do not care for plain old cream cheese. No flavor and I have a problem with texture. I have a weird gag reflex and cannot swallow cream cheese. I cannot peal and eat a raw banana either but love the flavor and use in baking or cooking.
I eat my bagels (where have all the good bagels gone - they're supposed to be boiled before baking) toasted with crunchy peanut butter on them. I make a mayo/sour cream, a little fresh dill, a little fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice, a couple healthy dashes of a good hot sauce for my smoked salmon.
I do like just about any type of cheesecake. One of these days, I'm going to have to post my recipe for barbecued cheesecake - it's not a dessert - think using up leftover barbecue meat.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:05 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Boy did my previous post get way off topic!
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:37 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm thinking about slitting a hot dog lengthwise, filling it with cream cheese, wrapping it with bacon, and grilling it until hot all the way through and the bacon's fairly well-cooked. I think it might require a large hot dog and a mix of indirect and direct grilling.

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:40 am
BBQ Deputy

CharredGriller wrote:
So what is Secret Stadium Sauce like? Spicy, sweet, salty, fiery? I like to fiddle around with sauces like that.
It's like ketchup but not as tomatoey, not very spicy at all, and slightly salty. Almost like a combination of ketchup and an unsweet barbecue sauce. I tasted some straight from the bottle last night and that's the best way I can describe it.

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:25 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:
So what is Secret Stadium Sauce like? Spicy, sweet, salty, fiery? I like to fiddle around with sauces like that.
It's like ketchup but not as tomatoey, not very spicy at all, and slightly salty. Almost like a combination of ketchup and an unsweet barbecue sauce. I tasted some straight from the bottle last night and that's the best way I can describe it.

If it's a lot brighter red than say, Heinz ketchup, I might almost suspect that it's one of the other brands. Hunt's experimented many years ago with a "fresh" brand of ketchup that was a lot less sweet and a that was not cooked nearly as long as most brands, and I thought it tasted great. Most customers, sadly, liked the regular ketchup, which is cooked for so long that it turns a dark red and almost all of the tomato flavor is unrecognizable.

Either that, or the Secret Staduim sauce may be something they make themselves. Having worked in catering and having managed a few concessions, I'd suspect that it's some kind of commercial brand simply because that's usually easier to source and to keep in stock and it stores longer.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:41 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

Cactus 1;, If you have a problem with cream cheese, try taking a container of good Greek yogurt (Fage, Chobani), place the yogurt in some cheese cloth or coffee filters, drain the whey off daily and the stuff will solidify to the point where it can be spread like cream cheese. You can make great tzatziki with it.

Joe

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:26 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Joe Grod wrote:
Cactus 1;, If you have a problem with cream cheese, try taking a container of good Greek yogurt (Fage, Chobani), place the yogurt in some cheese cloth or coffee filters, drain the whey off daily and the stuff will solidify to the point where it can be spread like cream cheese. You can make great tzatziki with it.

Joe

And it's much, much tastier than cream cheese, too. This is something I make enough that I even bought one of those "yogurt strainers" that are made specifically for the purpose.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:44 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Joe Grod wrote:

Joe

And it's much, much tastier than cream cheese, too. This is something I make enough that I even bought one of those "yogurt strainers" that are made specifically for the purpose.

I like yogurt and use it from time to time but it is another food that I have a problem with swallowing because of consistency.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:18 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Joe Grod wrote:
Seattle-Q wrote:

Now that gives me an idea. How about a smoked salmon boudin (sausage) on a good bun (maybe even rye or pumpernickel?), topped with cream cheese, minced red onion, and capers? That's pretty close to how I enjoy smoked salmon now, but on thin rye bread slices instead of a bun. :D

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:17 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

From these posts, was thinking Hoffy is a locally produced southern California brand. I had never heard of them. Saw two of their trucks rolling out of southern Wisconsin Friday night. Someone in Wisconsin has to be producing for them - Usinger, Johnsonville, Klement's?
Stopped in a one of a kind grocery store in Kenosha last night, Woodman's, to do some grocery shopping. Bought a lot of produce, bakery, and meat - 7 lb of chicken legs and thighs, a nice piece of ham, pork tenderloins, brats, rib "ends", and a tri-tip. They have best selection of sausages and dogs that I've seen since I first walked into a HEB in San Marcos, TX a number of years ago. My grills and smokers will be busy again this week.
Woodman's to my house took an hour driving thru some pretty good rain. I need to go there to shop on a more regular basis.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:32 pm
BBQ Deputy

CharredGriller wrote:
Either that, or the Secret Staduim sauce may be something they make themselves. Having worked in catering and having managed a few concessions, I'd suspect that it's some kind of commercial brand simply because that's usually easier to source and to keep in stock and it stores longer.
It's a commercially-made product sold under the SportService label, but the recipe is definitely specific and there's actually a pretty good story behind it.

Cactus, there are a number of Woodman's stores in Wisconsin and even a few in Illinois (Rockford for sure). Look them up online and maybe you can find one closer than Kenosha.

That's an interesting observation about the Hoffy trucks you saw. The name is owned by Square-H Brands and sure looks to be CA-based, so maybe they were dropping off instead of picking up?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion