Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Simple grilled ribs

Simple grilled ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:55 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

On Wednesday night I cut up a rack of back ribs into 4 sections and gave them a good shot of Weber's seasoned salt before putting the in the fridge to rest overnight.

I decided to try grilling them direct instead of the more common indirect and smoking methods, so I started by searing the meat side for about 5 minutes.

This is what they looked like after about 40 minutes bones-down. I was using up old charcoal and didn't add any smoke wood, although there were a couple of charred apple chunks in the mix.

I glazed 2 sections with Steven's chipotle molasses sauce and 2 with Jack's Carolina Style mustard sauce, and let them go another 10-15 minutes.

The smoke ring really caught me by surprise as I didn't expect to get one. With the sauce the ribs reminded me of the direct-grilled pork chops my dad made years ago, right down to the bits of carbonized sauce. :wink:

They were a nice change of pace and took only about 90 minutes from lighting the charcoal to taking the first bite - good time for a Thursday night!

Post Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:44 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

That looks awesome. If I dont have time to slow smoke ribs, I'll rub them, let them sit over night, then cook them low and slow in the oven. I finish them direct over charcoal to crust the outside. No smoke ring, but like you said, it's like grilling pork chops.

Good job.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Screaming Chicken - Looks good! Do you ever go over to Woodman's at I94 & WI Hwy 50 in Kenosha? This is a very good store and I might start going on a regular basis. Their parking lot to my driveway took exactly 1 hour last Saturday night. Among the meats I bought were a 4 3/4 lb. vac packed boneless rib ends for $1.99 lb. Look like spares. Think I will use your method to cook.
Woodman's has a prepared sausage & hot dog case like I haven't seen since I walked into a HEB in San Marcos, TX several years ago. Good looking produce department. Staples and paper goods were considerably cheaper than in Chicago area and a better selection.
Yeah ... I'm going to have to drive up there on a regular basis.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice looking ribs, Brad! I like grilling back ribs this way every so often. I've tried it with some really meaty spareribs, but they just weren't as good. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

My boneless rib ends will go on the grill tonight with a little hickory for smoke.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:38 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Seeing some wierd things in meat cases lately - been getting boneless beef shortribs at Costco. Not sure exactly what they are but they are quite good. Look like a well marbled 5 or 6 ounce strip steak. Know they are not but know they are not a boneless short rib.
Opened my 4 3/4 lb vac packed boneless rib ends for the grill tonight. Four pieces about 3" thick. Know it is rib meat but not sure how it was cut to get a 3" thick end.
Might have something to do with the rebranding of various pork and beaf cuts that is taking place.
Direct grilled my rib ends over a 2 zone fire. Turned every 10 minutes and they were on for a full hour at 325 degrees before saucing - 2 with Sweet Baby Ray's Original and 2 with Garland Jack's Secret Six. I had used Weber's Chicago Steak to season. Although it says Steak, this is a great all purpose rub. Rib ends were very good.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:48 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Seeing some wierd things in meat cases lately - been getting boneless beef shortribs at Costco. Not sure exactly what they are but they are quite good. Look like a well marbled 5 or 6 ounce strip steak. Know they are not but know they are not a boneless short rib.
Opened my 4 3/4 lb vac packed boneless rib ends for the grill tonight. Four pieces about 3" thick. Know it is rib meat but not sure how it was cut to get a 3" thick end.
Might have something to do with the rebranding of various pork and beaf cuts that is taking place.
Direct grilled my rib ends over a 2 zone fire. Turned every 10 minutes and they were on for a full hour at 325 degrees before saucing - 2 with Sweet Baby Ray's Original and 2 with Garland Jack's Secret Six. I had used Weber's Chicago Steak to season. Although it says Steak, this is a great all purpose rub. Rib ends were very good.

I saw Steven cook these ribs Korean-style onPrimal Grill. He butterflied them until they were very thin and they only took a couple of minutes to cook. I managed to get them pre-cut like that and I've tried them a few times. Well worth trying for sure! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:21 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller - Are you talking about the beef short ribs or the pork rib ends that I just cooked? Beef is really good - have made 4 times with another batch vac packed in the freezer. Not surre what it is but definitely no sort rib - has neither the flavor or texture of a short rib.
Been thinking about the pork and thinking it's a pork standing rib roast. Told a guy today about these and he said that's exactly what it is. Cut from the meat side of the rib and cut includes some loin meat as well.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:49 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
CharredGriller - Are you talking about the beef short ribs or the pork rib ends that I just cooked? Beef is really good - have made 4 times with another batch vac packed in the freezer. Not surre what it is but definitely no sort rib - has neither the flavor or texture of a short rib.
Been thinking about the pork and thinking it's a pork standing rib roast. Told a guy today about these and he said that's exactly what it is. Cut from the meat side of the rib and cut includes some loin meat as well.

Sorry - I meant the beef short ribs.

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:01 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller - Figured that's what you meant. What I'm getting at Costco is not a boneless short rib. Looks like a well marbeled 5 or 6 ounce strip steak - they're about 5/8" thick. Know it's not a strip steak. These grill up nice and tender, so not coming from one of the more primal cuts. Not sure where on the steer this is coming from but they are good.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:47 pm
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Screaming Chicken - Looks good! Do you ever go over to Woodman's at I94 & WI Hwy 50 in Kenosha?
No need...there's one in Janesville and a couple in Madison! In fact, there's even one in North Aurora:

http://www.woodmans-food.com/storemaps/

Would that be closer than Kenosha for you?

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:
Screaming Chicken - Looks good! Do you ever go over to Woodman's at I94 & WI Hwy 50 in Kenosha?
No need...there's one in Janesville and a couple in Madison! In fact, there's even one in North Aurora:

http://www.woodmans-food.com/storemaps/

Would that be closer than Kenosha for you?

Wife found the one in N Aurora and we'll go this weekend to check it out. I don't mind the ride to Kenosha and that gives me an excuse to get a brat at the Brat Stop and run up to Mars Cheese Factory. Know there's good stuff in N Aurora, Harner's for good donuts for one, but not sure where else out there to eat. Been a few years since I've been there. Maybe take the grandson for a ride on Saturday and go do "guy things".
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:59 pm
BBQ Deputy

If you know about the Brat Stop and Mars you've made that trip before! :lol:

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:06 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
If you know about the Brat Stop and Mars you've made that trip before! :lol:

Probably been up and down I94 almost as many times as you'e been around your block. Started going to Summerfest in 1976, goofy people I hung out with in mid-late 1970's - we'd do weekend road trips into Wisconsin just to see how many bars we could find with minnow tanks behind the bars - probably swallowed more minnows than a lot of fisherman use for bait, lived with a girl in 1979/1980 in the city (Chicago) - my office was on Layton Ave in Greenfield, became Corporate Safety Manager for a Fond Du Lac based trucking company in 1991 and traveled Wisconsin extensively, became Regional Safety Manager for a large well respected trucking company in 1997 - Wisconsin, again, was part of my territory - spent weeks at a time in Madison and Green Bay when we opened new terminals there in 1998. Not recently but have stayed and played golf at that resort just off of I90 not to far from your house, Best Man at our wedding in 2000 is married to a Port Washington girl - been going there since 1979. Coincedently, wife's grandmother lived near Rhinelander and Tomahawk, moved to Saukville, then to Port Washington - made pies for Smith Bros for years, retired, eventually died of old age, and is buried in Port Washington. Do weekend road trips to Lake Geneva/Walworth + try to do Cedarburg/Port Washington at least once a year. Can't even count how many times I've been to Alpine Valley over the years - 20-25 would be my guess. Haven't for a couple of years but do the southwest part of the State and Galena but used to do it at least once a year. Have spent a lot of time in Wisconsin over the years and like it there - beats the h*** out of Cook County Illinois.
Man, this is way off topic!
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion