Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Not Barbecue But ... Ice Cream!

Not Barbecue But ... Ice Cream!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:32 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

We purchased a Cuisinart compressor type ice cream maker on the 4th of July to replace the KitchenAid attachment that we had that "stripped out" where the nylon attached to the mixer.
We have become ice cream making "fools". Have made several batches of family favorite Triple Chocolate, a fresh pear, a fresh strawberry, and a fresh peach.
We made Italian style ices this past Sunday - a fresh raspberry with a hint of lime, a fresh blueberry with a hint of lemon, and a watermelon / kiwi.
Nice thing with the compressor type maker is we can make a 1 1/2 quart batch every 45 minutes.
We also control the quality of ingredients, using only real cream and half and half, eggs, real chocolate, fresh fruit, no preservatives, etc. Not like most national or store brands, if you've read labels lately, are full of soybean oil, milk, and all types of artificial flavorings and other ingredients.
Next up is a Salted Caramel. Wife is even going to make the caramel from scratch.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:38 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
We purchased a Cuisinart compressor type ice cream maker on the 4th of July to replace the KitchenAid attachment that we had that "stripped out" where the nylon attached to the mixer.
We have become ice cream making "fools". Have made several batches of family favorite Triple Chocolate, a fresh pear, a fresh strawberry, and a fresh peach.
We made Italian style ices this past Sunday - a fresh raspberry with a hint of lime, a fresh blueberry with a hint of lemon, and a watermelon / kiwi.
Nice thing with the compressor type maker is we can make a 1 1/2 quart batch every 45 minutes.
We also control the quality of ingredients, using only real cream and half and half, eggs, real chocolate, fresh fruit, no preservatives, etc. Not like most national or store brands, if you've read labels lately, are full of soybean oil, milk, and all types of artificial flavorings and other ingredients.
Next up is a Salted Caramel. Wife is even going to make the caramel from scratch.

Do you have a link to this machine? I have a Rival ice cream maker right now and it's great, but it's one of the types that has the freezable bowl. That's why I don't make ice cream as much as I used to - too much time between batches.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:39 am
Griffin well done
well done

Man can not live on meat cooked over fire alone. Would love to see some pics.

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:44 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:

Not to mention the triple chocolate recipe, too! I'd love to see that as I've made every type of ice cream you listed above except that one. I've also made a lot of wicked good sorbets over the years, with key lime and pineapple/mango topping the favorites list.

Incidentally, what I'd really like to try is daiquiri ice. Baskin and Robbins had this flavor years ago but discontinued it, so it would be fun to try to duplicate it.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:11 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Griffin wrote:

Not to mention the triple chocolate recipe, too! I'd love to see that as I've made every type of ice cream you listed above except that one. I've also made a lot of wicked good sorbets over the years, with key lime and pineapple/mango topping the favorites list.

Incidentally, what I'd really like to try is daiquiri ice. Baskin and Robbins had this flavor years ago but discontinued it, so it would be fun to try to duplicate it.

I do not have a link to Cuisinart. Would guess it is just www.cuisinart.com We purchased at Bed, Bath, and Beyond using a 20% off coupon. Think original price was $159 or $169. We got a store credit for the return of the KitchenAid Ice Cream attachment. Think when it was all said and done, the Cuisinart cost us $50 some tax included.
Not sure where my wife has the triple chocolate recipe. Think it came directly from the KitchenAid book. I'll check with her tonight and post.
I remember BR's daiquiri ice. I would think that this would not be hard to duplicate.
In addition to the hundreds of ice cream recipes on the internet, we purchased two books at Half Price Books - "Scoop 125 Specialty Ice Creams From The Nation's Best Creameries" by Ellen Brown and "The Joy of Ice Cream" by Matthew Klein. I haven't searched but I'm almost sure that there is a Workman ice cream book.
Key to ice cream making is using the highest quality freshest ingredients possible.
There is a lady in Columbus, OH, forget her name offhand, that makes some unusual high end ice creams. One specialty store in our area carries them - $9.99 pint.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I think this is the one as it's the only one I found that didn't say "double-insulated freezer bowl". A compressor-type unit is really nice if you can afford it.
http://www.cuisinart.com/products/ice_cream/ice-100.html

Check out the price on it too. I've seen this unit from $279 to $324. Even without your refund you got a really great price! :D

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:17 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

That is the one that we got. One thing I haven't mentioned is wife has been loooking at commercial ice cream makers onn the internet. Gotta draw the line somewhere ... Gone from the KitchenAid attachment to the Cuisinart ... No way I'm going commercial in less than a month! Wait a minute ... We have a Husqvarna Embroidery Machine in her craft room that has not been used in a couple of years. She paid about $3000 for it. Anyone want a good deal on it? :D :D
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:44 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
That is the one that we got. One thing I haven't mentioned is wife has been loooking at commercial ice cream makers onn the internet. Gotta draw the line somewhere ... Gone from the KitchenAid attachment to the Cuisinart ... No way I'm going commercial in less than a month! Wait a minute ... We have a Husqvarna Embroidery Machine in her craft room that has not been used in a couple of years. She paid about $3000 for it. Anyone want a good deal on it? :D :D

If you said "a decent wood lathe", "a nice drill press", or "a half-decent riding mower", I'd have said yes. Not too much room in my life for embroidery right now. :twisted:

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:35 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:

If you said "a decent wood lathe", "a nice drill press", or "a half-decent riding mower", I'd have said yes. Not too much room in my life for embroidery right now. :twisted:

Can't help with drill press, lathe, or riding mower. Don't have any of. Don't need no commercial ice cream maker anyway - last time I looked at it, my birth certificate said neither Ben or Jerry. I do need a new refrigerator freezer. Our upright freezer "went south" last Summer and hasn't been replaced. Don't want another upright but largest capacity that will fit in kitchen refrigerator / freezer. Freezer has to be on top - no side by side or pull out freezer on the bottom. Move the one we have now into garage for extra freezer space and fridge space for my big crock for brining.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion