Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion New BBQ Joint - BIG Disappointment

New BBQ Joint - BIG Disappointment

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:50 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I just tried out some food from a new BBQ Restaurant I had high hopes for here in Edmonton called "Smokehouse BBQ". I'd post the link to the website if only to show the ridiculous prices and pretentious nature of the place, but I won't even do that. This place doesn't deserve the attention.

First, the prices are higher than even the trendy steak and rib joints. Almost $10 for a pint of beer when the other joints sell it for $6.50. $12.95 for a basic pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwich. $26.95 for a "full rack" of ribs (which is $18.95 at the trendy rib joint I won't name).

The ribs tasted like lightly-smoked ham-on-a-stick marinated in dish soap - they tasted almost exactly like the batch of "enhanced" ribs I cooked after I bought some by accident a few years ago, except these ones had less smoke taste. Conversely, the pulled pork was bland - no spice, no bark, and very little smoke ring or flavor. My grandma could have done a better job just by putting a pork roast in her oven and leaving it in there too long.

But the absolute worst was something called a "Pig Ball". Supposedly it's a fried rice ball with a center of pulled pork and a tangy sauce. In reality, it was a rock hard ball of fried rice with about a teaspoon of what passed for pulled pork in it, and the sauce was pretty close to flavored ketchup and Tabasco. (In fact, I'm almost certain it was generic No Name BBQ sauce with Tabasco added.) Half of that "pig ball" went into the garbage.

It's disappointing, but ten years ago I could have named half a dozen great BBQ or grill restaurants in my home town of Edmonton. Now I can't even name one.

There's a solution, though. When I get home I'm pulling out a couple slabs of ribs and a couple shoulders out of the freezer and doing it right this weekend. That's the only thing that can wash the taste of the soapy hamsicles away, I figure. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:35 pm
sroach well done
well done

Char,

That does sound disappointing. I had a similar experience in the little town I live near, the food just came out real bland.

After that I won't go to any barbq joints unless I am out of town. We do exactly what you're about to do when we get the taste for barbq.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:09 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I'm fortunate enough to have very good barbecue places in the western suburbs of Chicago - Sweet Baby Ray's in Wood Dale, Uncle Bub's in Westmont, Q Barbecue in LaGrange, The Pit in Hickory Hills, my deck whenever I fire up.
All are reasonably priced and serve a high quality product.
I don't have to go into the city to the trendy places, although I do want to go to Smoque and Lillie Q's, both in trendy neighborhoods on the near north side of Chicago.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:23 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's the really ironic thing about all of Alberta, too. It's a huge beef and pork producer (as well as pultry and lamb), but there's a huge shortage of good low 'n slow BBQ restaurants. I still know of a few decent non-franchise steak houses, but the only real BBQ in my hometown here is apparently a guy who has a food truck on the other side of town.

I've heard he's good, though a bit of a jerk. But just like many famous BBQ joints across the US, he cooks his daily amount and when he's done, he's done. As a result I haven't been able to try his stuff out yet but oh yes, I swear it shall be done. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:46 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Those guys with an old pit beside the road are getting fewer and farther in-between. Know where there are a few in southern Illinois, and Indiana, and northwest Missouri. Biggest one I regret not trying was in Memphis on Elvis Presley Blvd about 1/2 mile or so north of Graceland a year or so ago. Had done the Graceland tour and heading to Sun Records. Plans for dinner at Neeley's that night. Stopped to buy pecans and when I pulled up I smelled that sweet smoke. Old guy with an old 55 gallon drum cooker - nice whole shoulder and 4 or 5 slabs of ribs - nothing going to be ready for 45 minutes or an hour. Should have hung around and killed time bs'ing with him. Next time I get to Memphis, I'm going looking for this guy.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:31 am
jayeffel well done
well done

There is a very good BBQ place in Hagerstown, Maryland on Pennsylvania Avenue. Hempin Hill BBQ owners just won Grand Master in a Virginia BBQ contest.

Their ribs are great, a lot more meat on them than anywhere else I've been. :bbq:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Return to General Discussion