Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion August's Online Block Party - Ribs!

August's Online Block Party - Ribs!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:38 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Admit it - deep down you knew this one was coming.

This month's Online Block Party is ribs. Any kind of ribs - lamb, pork, beef or other (even chicken or fish). :twisted:

And furthermore, you can cook them any way you like, although you might risk the scorn of some of the others here if you parboil or steam 'em first.... :twisted:

Let the party begin!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:18 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Now here's a block party near and dear to my heart. (Hey, I did write a rib book.) I've been thinking a lot about ribs lately: the smoky baby backs at Podnah's Pit in Portland, Oregon. (Read about them here: http://barbecuebible.com/2013/07/28/raichlen-eats-portland/#.UfuGpRY5ulI). The monster beef plate ribs at Mighty Quinn’s in the East Village in Manhattan—the subject of a future blog. I can’t wait to see what our board members come up with. Make me hungry! SR

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:22 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well, this would belong in the "other" section, but I'm keeping my eye out for bison ribs. :D
No guarantees at all that I'll find any, but that won't stop me from trying. I always wanted to see what they're like as they're the only part of the beast I haven't cooked at some time or another.

Steven - we'd love to see what YOU'VE been cooking for ribs lately, too. That would be awesome! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:23 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I grilled some kalbi (Korean short ribs) Monday night and just finished the leftovers for breakfast this morning. I hadn't made them in a long time and I really like the flavors of sesame, garlic, and soy...I use them for steaks occasionally as well.

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:22 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I did the boneless beef shortribs from Costco, think it was last Wednesday, so I missed August Block Party. These are really good - still not convinced as to their being actual short rib. Texture of meat is not consistent with short rib. Think it's close to the short but a better cut and that being a bonesless short rib is part of the rebranding of both beef and pork cuts that is being done.
I'm getting and have had a taste for rib tips. Moo & Oink's long gone,but certain of their brands are showing up in local independent grocers. Going to have to find out where, that is close to my house, and get a 10 lb case and make a pig of myself.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:11 pm
BBQ Deputy

I finally got the ribs out of my camera.

One thing I like about kalbi is that the recipe's pretty simple but still loaded with flavor.

Slicing the short ribs took a little time but not too long.

And then after they marinated it took some time to thread them onto the skewers, which essentially took the place of the missing bones.

Because the beef was (mostly) nice and thin cooking time was quite short; just a couple of minutes on each side was all that was needed.
Image Image

Mrs. Chicken said her plate looked nicer than mine...but it was so blue! :lol: Because the short ribs were thin they not only cooked quickly but were pretty tender as well, and the flavors of sesame, soy, and garlic are tough to beat. Granted, the mashed potatoes aren't a traditional accompaniment but we had some baby reds that needed to be used and really, don't potatoes go with everything? :wink:

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:59 am
BBQ Deputy

I had a couple of racks of back ribs that needed to be cooked so last Sunday I dug out Steven's Buffalo Ribs recipe and the Slow Good Baby Back Ribs recipe from Weber's Way to Grill. I started by splitting the racks and adding the rubs.
Image Image Image

Instead of the WSM I used the 22" kettle so I could grill them at a higher temp and shorten the cooking time.

The Buffalo ribs were finished by mopping with a butter & hot sauce mixture.
Image Image

The Weber ribs had a nice traditional flavor and we had them with Head Country barbecue sauce.

And the Buffalo ribs received a blue cheese sauce to complement the hot sauce and butter. I've made these before and they're a nice change of pace from Buffalo wings.

I also grilled Steven's Country-Style Ribs with Oregano and Mint this past week. I found some bone-in ribs at the store and needed only 3 of them to make up the 2 pounds called for.

The rub contains oregano, mint, and garlic as the primary ingredients.

After the ribs were rubbed they went into the marinade for 24 hours.

I grilled them direct over briquettes until they reached the mid-140s. Just before they were done I basted them with some extra marinade.

These are the pinkest of the ribs; the others were a little more done. And even though CSRs are cut from the shoulder, when sliced thin enough across the grain they weren't at all tough. They had a lot of flavor from the herbs and garlic and this recipe would also be really good with thicker pork steaks.

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:31 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Nice looking ribs there! Saw today but didn't buy St Louis Spares, under new name, tips, and nice beef short ribs - with bone and boneless. Freezer is pretty full, have late meetings three days this week, Family Summer Birthday - just doing ABT's for that - next Saturday, go for my professional certification following week. No chance for major cook until Labor Day weekend - but ribs will be a definite then and maybe a brisket. Haven't done a brisket yet this year.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:31 pm
tbk420 well done
well done

Got a hankering for some BB, so I smoked some up with a mix of pecan and cherry:

Rubbed and ready to go -

Ready for the table -

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:50 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Those are some pretty good lookin ribs :D :D

I have a couple racks of baby backs and some beef ribs on right now and hope they come off half as good as yours look! Thanks for sharing,
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:48 am
BBQ Deputy

Great ribs and great images, Tbk! You really got a nice smoke ring and they look nice and moist. Would you mind if I moved the posts to the August block party thread?

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:45 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Super tender and juicy looking ribs with a fantastic smoke ring! 8)

They have a nice shine to them. Did you use a glaze?

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:12 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Looks good Brad.

I will be cooking up some Riblets Thursday night for a work Party Friday.

I'll post pictures then

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:47 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Local grocery started carrying beef ribs in cryovac.
Pulled membrane, CYM , homemade rub & on cooker.
Indirect smoke ,bout 250F temp, mixed charcoal& oak.
Cooked bout 3 hours then in foil for bout an hour then resting in foil.
BBQ sauce & back on fo 20 min to set sauce.
Really tasty, not as much meat as spares!
Ate a bunch!

New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:49 pm
sroach well done
well done

I'll label that as YUMMMY in my book!

Next

Return to General Discussion