Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoked Chuck Short Ribs (PIX)

Smoked Chuck Short Ribs (PIX)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:19 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

Got some very nice and meaty short ribs at Restaurant Depot. Use a little granulated garlic/onions and pepper and kosher salt. That's it. Smoked about three hours (bones down) over lump with some hickory chips at 250F. They were probably already edible, but I foiled for two more hours (bones up) and the meat braised in its own juice. Let rest about 1/2 hr. in the oven and served. The bones literally just fell off, so I didn't bother plating those. This melted in your mouth. We served with some Sweet Baby Ray's for dipping, but it was fine without any sauce at all.

Served with what looks to be the last local corn of the season. Ears are getting pretty small.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:06 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Beef, corn, and asparagus...that's a great meal! I can't tell which way the ribs were cut but they sure are meaty!

I need to buy some corn this week, too, before it's gone for the year.

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:41 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Beef, corn, and asparagus...that's a great meal! I can't tell which way the ribs were cut but they sure are meaty!

I need to buy some corn this week, too, before it's gone for the year.

If you look at the top pic, you can see they are SHORT ribs.. at the very bottom of the meat you can see the cuts. It really didn't matter though, as there was no grain left after cooking. The meat just shredded. BTW, those are french green beans.. not asparagus. Wish it has been, but the kids are not big asparagus fans.. They go off to college next week, so it'll be back on the menu :)
- Phillyjazz -

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:15 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those are short ribs the way I remember them, Philly. I must remember to pick some up to go along with the rest of the meat when I fire up the Outlaw soon. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:17 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Those are short ribs the way I remember them, Philly. I must remember to pick some up to go along with the rest of the meat when I fire up the Outlaw soon. :D

These are chuck, so I don't cook them like I would back ribs. Those, I consider Prime Rib on a stick, and can grill pretty rare and have a good gnaw. Short ribs are a bit tougher, so the low and slow (with a foil braise) make them fall-off-the-bone tender (which I usually avoid in favor of some tug..)

Leftovers are great for tacos, sandwiches or just about anything. We have a trendy restaurant in Philly that serves short rib meat over top of DUCK FAT fries !!! Talk about GOOD bar food !!
- Phillyjazz -

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:37 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

phillyjazz wrote:
Served with what looks to be the last local corn of the season.

:cry: Just the sound of that makes me sad.

When I first saw those green beans, I though 'asparagus' too. They would probably be very tasty wrapped in bacon and grilled too. :wink:

That's a fine looking meal, Philly! Thanks for serving up a plate for us. 8)

Return to General Discussion