Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Fun with Lighter Fluid

Fun with Lighter Fluid

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:30 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Does that still go on at Miller Park. Remember the old Brew Crew days of 1980 at County Stadium ... I probably saw 40 games and tailgated 30 of them. Lighter fluid fumes all over the place that lasted until the third or fourth inning.
Most definitely, although I think modern lighter fluids are probably a lot cleaner than the old Gulf Lite was! :lol:

Y'know, it's not that the fluid itself is inherently all that bad...people just use it (and other flammables) all wrong and it gets the blame.

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:40 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:
Does that still go on at Miller Park. Remember the old Brew Crew days of 1980 at County Stadium ... I probably saw 40 games and tailgated 30 of them. Lighter fluid fumes all over the place that lasted until the third or fourth inning.
Most definitely, although I think modern lighter fluids are probably a lot cleaner than the old Gulf Lite was! :lol:

Y'know, it's not that the fluid itself is inherently all that bad...people just use it (and other flammables) all wrong and it gets the blame.

I can still taste the stuff somewhat when most people use it. However, I think it's the amount they use, not just the fact that they use it. Most people use way, way, way too much and I think that even the directions on the bottle of fluid calls for too much.

On the very off-chance that I have to use it, I do exactly the same as you. I soak a briquette or two (three if it's a big pile of charcoal), and use it as a starter briquette.

Attrill wrote:
I can definitely identify with your situation. I have friends who absolutely refuse to give up lighter fluid, although I have gotten a few to switch to the weed burner method - because if they're into it for pyrotechnics nothing beats the weed burner!

I've actually had to fight pretty hard to get a couple friends of mine to stop throwing their cigarette butts into the smoker or grill :roll:

I used my side burner to light chimneys for a long time, but now I light them two other ways. I have a 500,000 BTU weed torch (no, that's not a typo) and it ignites a full chimney in less than a minute at full blast, and the whole chimney is lit about 5 minutes after that. And with lump, it lights even faster - if I keep the torch on it continuously for about 45 seconds the entire chimney is blazing in about 4 minutes.

The other method I like to use is the old school Boy Scout "buddy burner". The post is now in the FAQs section:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24362
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:59 pm
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

Not lighter fluid, but every now and then I do slightly sort of miss the unique flavor imparted on foods via Kingsford briquettes.
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:46 am
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Back when I was young and dumb (now old and dumb) My friends and I forgot lighter fluid and were to intoxicated to drive t o get some. The only thing we had at the house was Starter fluid for starting cars. Coolest ball of flames ever. Although we did almost light the house on fire. Funny, I don't remember how dinner tasted once the coals actually lit.

Hey BC- RDWHAHB

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wolfpackbbq wrote:
Back when I was young and dumb (now old and dumb) My friends and I forgot lighter fluid and were to intoxicated to drive t o get some. The only thing we had at the house was Starter fluid for starting cars. Coolest ball of flames ever. Although we did almost light the house on fire. Funny, I don't remember how dinner tasted once the coals actually lit.

Hey BC- RDWHAHB

I resemble that remark. There were a few times way back that I don't remember how dinner tasted, for the same reason. Someone could have served me cardboard braised in BBQ sauce and told me it was pulled pork, and I wouldn't have blinked.

Come to think of it, cardboard braised in BBQ sauce might be exactly what some of the local restaurants serve for "pulled pork".... :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:33 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Wolfpackbbq wrote:

Hey BC- RDWHAHB

I did the same thing once with that white gas for Coleman stoves and lanterns. BIG Whoosh ! Think malted beverages were involved.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:23 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Wolfpackbbq wrote:

Hey BC- RDWHAHB

I did the same thing once with that white gas for Coleman stoves and lanterns. BIG Whoosh ! Think malted beverages were involved.

I tried lighting a campfire with white gas once. Big ball of fire and a big "Whoosh!" as well, but then nothing lit. The stuff was all show and no substance. :twisted:

As I recall, I wound up starting that campfire the old-fashioned way - with tinder, twigs, and a flint and steel.

Previous

Return to General Discussion