Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Anyone making homemade mayo?

Anyone making homemade mayo?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:54 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

After watching a video of Chef John making some homemade mayo last week I went and bought a stick blender to give it a try. Anyone making their own mayo that can offer any tips or tricks?

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:28 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yes. For the smoothest mayonnaise, blend the other ingredients beofre adding the oil, and then add the oil slowly in small amounts. Otherwise the mayonnaise can separate and you get a layer of oil over top of it as well as pockets of oil in it.

One more thing - if some bratty British kid starts whining and complaining, and starts asking for "salad cream" and calling your mayonnaise "puke", just bash the little tosser with your elbow. It worked for Basil Fawlty. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:02 pm
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

Seattle-Q wrote:
After watching a video of Chef John making some homemade mayo last week I went and bought a stick blender to give it a try. Anyone making their own mayo that can offer any tips or tricks?

Make a small batch and add a bit of the adobo from a can of chipotles in adobo :mrgreen:
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:17 am
Griffin well done
well done

NO, but try some wasabi in it for a kick.

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:53 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

I have done it only for making Cornell chicken. Blending the oil in slowly was the trick. I let my wife (ex chef) do it.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:36 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

I made it with a stick blender and it worked great. I was amazed how easy it was and will do it often with different flavors.

Post Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:55 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

What kind of oil did you use, Q?

Post Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:20 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

I used 3/4 cup olive oil and 3/4 cup canola. I followed this recipe here and it worked perfect.

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/06/ ... -love.html

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:03 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks! One more reason for me to get a stick blender...

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:29 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

Totaly worth the investment. I bought a Cuisinart that came with the measuring cup from Amazon and I think it was 53 bucks. The recipe does make more than I thought it would so my neighbours made out well too.

Give it a shot. I was really happy with the outcome.

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:49 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

My Grandmother used to make some homemade mayo that was awesome. It had a little bit of a lemon "twang" to it. My Mom's made it a few times, and I do remember her emphasizing to add the oil SLOOWWW.

Believe it or not, if you mix mayo and chopped onions, it makes a great topping for black eyed peas.

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:31 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Small batch home made is the only way to go but I'm lazy ad don't make it often enough. My first wife passed away in 1996. She was a gourmet cook with chef aspirations. Her dad had been a chef and master baker. I got nothing but home made mayo for almost 15 years.
Went to making my own when I noticed Hellman's was being made with soybean oil a couple of years ago. Now Hellman's has an olive oil and canola oil based mayo so I've been buying that.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion