Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wings and Grilled Tater Salad

Wings and Grilled Tater Salad

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:28 am
Griffin well done
well done

Seems like life has been keeping me way too busy lately. Nine days between firing up the grill is way too many in my book, but sometimes things are unavoidable. But I was able to get after it Saturday. I've been wanting to figure out some type of potato salad for awhile that involved grilling just for the heck of it. I knew I wanted it to have bacon and I wanted it to be cool and creamy. What I came up with I'm gonna call Bacon Blue Cheese Grilled Potato Salad. Thought about adding in the adjectives red and purple but that would make it way too long IMHO. Started off by par-boiling some red and purple taters.

It was so nice to sit back for once, fire up the Egg and watch some football. Really liked the potato salad. One thing that I didn't forsee was how well the blue cheese in the tater salad would work with the spiciness of the wings. Great combo.

[img=http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/bacon-blue-cheese-grilled-potato-salad/]Bacon Blue Cheese Grilled Potato Salad[/img]
Last edited by Griffin on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:23 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's easily one of the most colorful potato salads I've ever seen - great idea to use the purple potatoes! They taste about the same as "regular" ones, correct?

How was the Hatch chile sausage? They sure look nice on the grate...

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:44 am
Griffin well done
well done

They tasted about the same, mabye a bit sweeter, but not like a sweet potato.

The sausage was ok, not great. It was some pre-bought HEB/Central Market stuff. The wife bought it when hatch chiles hit here this year. She thought we might taste it and try to come up with our own version. I don't think we will as we've only got so much pre-roasted and frozen for the year.

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:11 pm
sroach well done
well done

Griff,

I have to try that potato salad, that looks good, and the wings looked awesome.

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:38 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Great Job Griff !!!
Wings and blue cheese go together like salt and pepper. You just need to mail order some of the Original Wing Sauce from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo. I've eaten wings in a lot of places and even made my fair share ... No place makes them like the Anchor Bar!
I've seen the purple potatoes but have never bought them.
If you're growing your own Hatch and make your own sausage, I guess you could get disappointed by store bought.
Never forget the first time I ever walked into a HEB, down in San Marcos, eight or nine years ago. Whenever we travel and we go into a grocery store, I always head to the meat case first. I was ready to go try to find a rental reefer truck, take it back to HEB, load it up, and drive back to Illinois. :mrgreen:
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:28 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Love those purple potatoes, Griff! They're fairly common up here in Canada as one of our provinces grows tons of 'em.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:51 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CharredGriller wrote:
Love those purple potatoes, Griff! They're fairly common up here in Canada as one of our provinces grows tons of 'em.
I seem to recall that potatoes like that originated in mountainous regions of South America, so it makes sense that they'd do well in a cooler climate.

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:52 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:
I seem to recall that potatoes like that originated in mountainous regions of South America, so it makes sense that they'd do well in a cooler climate.

That's true - the original potato was apparently from Peru, and was a purple color with purple flesh. Totally unlike the ones we normally see today. The "blue potato" from Prince Edward Island is closely related, and it tastes as Griffin described.

But it's in the same family (Solanaceae) that includes tomatoes, peppers, tobacco, and eggplant, so it's more of a warm-weather plant. Summers in Southeastern Canada are as mild or milder than Washington, Idaho or Oregon so the potato does fabulously there. Potatoes also do well here on the prairies but they have a shorter growing season so we start them quite early.

Purple or blue potatoes also quite readily available if you want to grow them. You'll often find them in seed catalogues or even in your local garden center. I didn't try them this year but I'm setting aside part of a small plot for them next year.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion