Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion New pork cut confusion

New pork cut confusion

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:25 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Earlier today I picked up some pork chops in the store and they were labeled "chef's cut", "chef's prime", or something like that but they looked like a couple of boneless sirloin chops to me. Has anyone encountered this cut yet? Whatever part of the pig they're from, they were wonderfully fatty and grilled up real nice for dinner tonight! :D

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:37 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Can't say that I've seen this particular cut. Thought when I first read about the renaming of the different cuts that it's supposed to be finished by the end of September.
Two offhand that I've seen is a boneless beef shortrib that I'm almost positive is not a shortrib - consistency of the cut is not right - whatever they are they have been good - I've done them several times this Summer and they are good. I've also bought vacuum packed pork rib ends a couple times expecting to get trimmed spare rib pieces. What I've actually gotten is what I believe to be a pork standing rib roast cut into 4 or 5 3-4" thick slabs. I'm not complaining about these because they have been very good.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:52 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Oops, forgot to show what they looked like!

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:43 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

These look like a thinner cut of what I've been calling pork standing rib roast when it's been cut into 4 or 5 pieces.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:20 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Oops, forgot to show what they looked like!

Up here in Canada they'd be called a "center-cut chop" or a "boneless center-cut chop". I think the "chef's cut" nonsense is just yet another meatpacker's marketing gimmick to get more money out of customers.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:01 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

There are, I think it's, 154 cuts of beef and pork that are being renamed in the U.S. Started this Spring and is supposed to be completed by the end of September. We've been seeing some new names on familiar cuts and I've even seen some cuts that I've never seen before.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:45 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Why? Did someone in the USDA feel a pressing need to justify their paycheque? Renaming 154 cuts of beef and pork just sounds like a ton of hassle for everyone concerned, especially the consumer.

Sorry if I offended anyone but I work in government as a project manager at my day job and this sort of thing just seems like the needless, wasteful stuff I see people squandering their time on daily. And that's in one of the more efficient government organizations, at that. :evil:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:30 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I was wrong at 154 - it's over 350. Supposed to make it more uniform and ultimately easier on the consumer. Idea comes from the Pork Producers & Cattleman's Association.
Search "USDA Renames Meat Cuts" and you can find any number of articles and news stories explaining the whole deal.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion