Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Meatloaf Disaster

Meatloaf Disaster

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:22 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Grilled a nice meatloaf for tonight's dinner. Juggling the baking sheet with the meatloaf and trying to close the lid on the Weber and grabbed under the hot baking sheet with my bare hand ... Yep ... Meatloaf went splat all over the deck!
Good thing there was a pack of brats in the meat drawer of the fridge.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:30 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ouch...for both your hand and the loaf! I hope you weren't badly burned and it's a good thing you had a backup plan. I generally thaw 1 thing at a time so if something like that happened to me it'd either be frozen pizza or defrosted hamburger for tacos.

And it was probably your best meatloaf ever, too! :wink:

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I'm not a glove guy so my fingers are pretty tough. Ran my hand under cold water and I was good to go. Missed having the meatloaf though - don't know if it was best ever - my recipe is usually pretty consistent.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:52 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

My heart really goes out to you, Cactus. I can tell you my border collie would have been most happy to clean that up for you. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:08 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
My heart really goes out to you, Cactus. I can tell you my border collie would have been most happy to clean that up for you. :cheers:

Another reason for us to get a dog. Wife wants some little yappy thing or Cavilier King Charles ... I want a rescue "mutt" from a shelter.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:09 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
beercuer wrote:

Another reason for us to get a dog. Wife wants some little yappy thing or Cavilier King Charles ... I want a rescue "mutt" from a shelter.

My first instinct would be to go with the mutt for sure. Those little yappy breeds can be twitchy and will drive you nuts barking at literally everything. In rural areas like the one I live in, a few of my neighbors call them "coyote snacks". Sadly that's from their own personal experience as some of their expensive little purebred dogs became snacks. And for some reason, the mutts don't. Maybe it's because they don't bark nearly as much and thus they don't draw attention to themselves.

From personal experience, I find the rescue animals are just easier to take care of. They cost less, they're usually house-trained, and they seem to have a lot more resilience than some purebreds. Case in point - my sister-in-law has spent thousands of bucks on several toy and teacup poodles, and every single one of them has had broken legs, backs and even necks because they're so inbred that their bones are just too brittle.

That's plus the cost is why I stay away from purebred anythings. Besides - "rescue" animals also seems to show a lot more gratitude too, and with the number of abandoned dogs and cats on the rise it just seems like a bit more socally responsible to adopt them rather than buying some "designer" breed.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:14 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I live in the Chicago suburbs and there is a decent sized coyote population near my house. More than one "yapper" has been snatched. Hawks have also gotten a few.
My last dog, in the early 1990's, was a purebred Dalmation that I ended up having to put to sleep when she developed some emotional issues at the death of my stepson. Brother-in-law has a beautiful purebred collie that has cost him in excess of $15,000 to tend to her medical issues.
Definitely want a rescue "mutt" for just about all of the reasons that you have listed.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:07 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
I live in the Chicago suburbs and there is a decent sized coyote population near my house. More than one "yapper" has been snatched. Hawks have also gotten a few.
My last dog, in the early 1990's, was a purebred Dalmation that I ended up having to put to sleep when she developed some emotional issues at the death of my stepson. Brother-in-law has a beautiful purebred collie that has cost him in excess of $15,000 to tend to her medical issues.
Definitely want a rescue "mutt" for just about all of the reasons that you have listed.

Up here it's coyotes and hawks, but also stray dogs and owls. Gigantic owls.

If you were in my neighborhood, I'd say you could snag one of the mutts off the local reservations. They usually have about a dozen strays running around at any given time.

But a neighbor I know who did that paid the vet over $1000 just for meds and shots for a stray he picked up, as they have a lot of health problems. Plus they're very tough to train, having been wild for some time. My neighbor's dog still had major behavioral issues and eventually had to go be destroyed after it attacked a few people. Normally the SPCA just euthanizes these strays, and considering the shape of those dogs maybe that's a good idea all round. I wish they'd fine the "owners" that let them stray in the first place too.

But that's an extreme case. You will likely have better luck than my neighbor.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:21 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:

Up here it's coyotes and hawks, but also stray dogs and owls. Gigantic owls.

If you were in my neighborhood, I'd say you could snag one of the mutts off the local reservations. They usually have about a dozen strays running around at any given time.

But a neighbor I know who did that paid the vet over $1000 just for meds and shots for a stray he picked up, as they have a lot of health problems. Plus they're very tough to train, having been wild for some time. My neighbor's dog still had major behavioral issues and eventually had to go be destroyed after it attacked a few people. Normally the SPCA just euthanizes these strays, and considering the shape of those dogs maybe that's a good idea all round. I wish they'd fine the "owners" that let them stray in the first place too.

But that's an extreme case. You will likely have better luck than my neighbor.

We have owls to but not a real problem with them attacking small dogs.
There has been a cat running lose lately like no other cat I've ever seen - long sleek legged, long sleek bodied, long ringed tail, triangular shaped head - maybe 1 1/2 times the size of a typical house cat - color kind of sunbursts out from a dark brown along the sides to a lighter golden up the back and down the legs - very unusual but very pretty animal - I've almost had it come to me twice.
Here, depending on the shelter, it costs $100 - $200, for a rescue dog. That takes care of the vet bill for a checkup, neutering, and first immunizations. Lady next door brought home a 6 week old female lab mix from Michigan a month or so ago - she was only 4 weeks old when the mother had died and the pups were abandoned. Said there was a male. She called for us but someone had already rescued him.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion