Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Places that push FOTB ribs

Places that push FOTB ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:34 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Today I got an email for a half-off deal (certificate is worth twice the purchase price) to a local barbecue brewpub that I've never visited before, so I checked out its website. The menu looks OK but every mention of the spareribs was sure to include that they "fall off the bone", which has me wondering if I really want to check it out. It's one thing if the ribs get that way because they're cooked for a long enough time, but if steaming or boiling is part of the process I can't help but think there might be other shortcuts as well. Unfortunately in this part of the country FOTB ribs are seen as "best" because there's just not enough barbecue tradition.

I suppose it wouldn't kill me to give the restaurant a chance, but would anybody else have the same reservations?

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:11 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

There are so many places that buy pre-cooked ribs that have been frozen then they reheat them by steaming the ribs. Very common thing to do in the food industry. I think it was TGIF or Applebees or one of those places that offered "ribs" and thats how they made them.

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:37 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I CRINGE when I hear that term applied to ribs ....
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:35 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Yeah ... I would. I don't do chain ribs. I rarely order ribs at a BBQ place. I prefer tips and there are several BBQ places in the Chicago area with good tips.
Even at home ... wife and kids prefer baby back and FOTB and I prefer spare with a little "pull". Wife will steam bake with a minimal amount of water in the bottom of the pan at 275 degrees in the oven. She then sauces and finishes under the broiler.
I'll St. Louis cut a slab of spares and get my rack and some tips and do them on one of my WSM's.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:26 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

As a general rule, I do not patronize 'cue joints that don't have a visible stack of wood (that changes periodically, so is not just decoration. I have been known to drive around the back of strip malls to find the smokers. No smoke on-prem... no dice.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:14 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

phillyjazz wrote:
As a general rule, I do not patronize 'cue joints that don't have a visible stack of wood (that changes periodically, so is not just decoration. I have been known to drive around the back of strip malls to find the smokers. No smoke on-prem... no dice.

Man, I thought I was the only one that did that!!!
My wife makes fun of me.
(well, not just for that)

I'll bet those chain ribs taste hammy as well.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:01 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yeah - we've got a term for those crummy ribs:
"Boil 'N Burn"

I've only found one local joint that doesn't steam or parboil their ribs, and unfortunately they use "enhanced" ribs so they're hammy as all heck.

So now you know why most of us members and moderators prefer DIY ribs. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:53 am
Griffin well done
well done

I always check for a wood pile as well when going out for BBQ, but I know most of the spots that are worth checking in North and Central Texas or where to look them up first on the ole interweb. Hardly ever (read never) get ribs anywhere, even at good bbq joints cause I know I can do them better. They can keep their FOTB ribs.

Return to General Discussion