Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion September's Online Block Party - Pork!

September's Online Block Party - Pork!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:40 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Cactus1 wrote:
To quote our illustrious fellow pork steak lover ... "Niiiice!" Pork steaks can be some of my favorite things to grill. I like them about 3/4" thick - nice fat content - and more a St. Louis type of grilling - a liberal dose of barbecue rub and finish with some Maull's or Maull's style barbecue sauce.

Now we're talkin'!-- I like a 3/4" cut too, Cactus. And I find them to be a pretty good buy for the money compared to some of the other cuts. Yours sound wonderfully flavorful. Hopes you get a camera soon. :cheers:
Got beer???

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Niiiice!!! I swear, Brad, you and I like our pork steaks the same way, with plenty of fat, and those are my favorite herbs as well. You really got me hungry again there. And like you, I really do not need any added sweetness to my chops/steaks. I wonder if you have ever done the rib end chops? They're my fav. :cheers:
Thanks! A pork steak without fat is like a day without sunshine, as Anita Bryant used to say. :lol:

I've done lots of rib chops but I don't ever think I've seen them described as "rib end". For actual chops that's my favorite cut and I also like sirloin chops because they can have a decent amount of fat, too.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Thanks! A pork steak without fat is like a day without sunshine, as Anita Bryant used to say. :lol:

I've done lots of rib chops but I don't ever think I've seen them described as "rib end". For actual chops that's my favorite cut and I also like sirloin chops because they can have a decent amount of fat, too.

Orange you right. :D
Got beer???

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I managed to get some pork cooked this weekend as well. I found some very odd-shaped pork chops in the store and dusted them with Steven's North African and Black Forest rubs. I also had a pack of pork Italian sausages and since Steven's been blogging about them this month I figured they'd qualify too.

Turns out that these "chops" were more like boneless pork steaks, and one pair was a lot thicker than the other, so the turns got out of sync.

The sausages didn't give me any grief, though.

Sausages are often curved so they don't always behave on the grill. I like my sausages evenly browned on all sides, so here's a trick I devised: turn them 90 degrees to finish cooking. The grill marks are already on the sausages, so putting them vertically between the bars of the grill grate keeps them from falling over. Nice flareup in the pic, too, but that was just happy coincidence - these sausages behaved well.

The pork chops got a slather of homemade BBQ sauce and a couple of quick turns to caramelize....

.... and here's the finished product!

Sorry - I didn't make any sides as I'd had a big vegetarian lunch. As a result, this meal was all-meat. One chop, two sausages, and the rest for lunches. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Cactus1 well done
well done

Ended my September with Boneless Pork Rib Ends. This is what I think is a boneless pork standing rib roast cut into thick slices.
Rubbed with Billy Bones Wall's Original Rub and grilled indirect at 300 degrees with a little hickory for smoke.
Attachments
20130930_181619 (640x360).jpg
20130930_181619 (640x360).jpg (103.51 KiB) Viewed 722 times
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller - Nice job on your chops / steaks and sausages. I've never seen chops like that before they do look more like steaks but not quite either. Are you getting the pork / beef renaming or rebranding, whatever it is, in Alberta also?
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:15 am
BBQ Deputy

Nice job CG and Cactus!

CG, I use the 4-side method with sausage when I grill them with the lid off. I lay them flat on each side first and then finish them curve-up and curve-down with the grate bars for support. If I cook them lid-on there's often enough contained heat to get them cooked through with just the standard 2-side approach.

Cactus, I wonder if those are the rib end chops that Beercuer suggested. They look great!

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:17 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Ended my September with Boneless Pork Rib Ends. This is what I think is a boneless pork standing rib roast cut into thick slices.
Rubbed with Billy Bones Wall's Original Rub and grilled indirect at 300 degrees with a little hickory for smoke.

You know, these might do very well for souvlaki or other pork kebabs, too. They look great, cactus1! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Nice shootin', Cactus and CG!... I'd download those feasts in a heart beat. Gorgeous coloring!
Got beer???

phillyjazz well done
well done

I guess it's technically October, but since the pork block party seems to be going on, here is some "thịt nướng" (Vietnamese char-broiled pork) that I made. This is similar to what I did for my bahn-mi. Pounded boneless loin chops marinated in fish sauce, low-sodium soy, rice vinegar and turbinado sugar. This time I used fresh garlic and scallions. Served over white Jasmine rice with cilantro and chopped peanut garnish. Additional sauce for heat is Siracha and fish sauce.

All the caramelized sugar makes a mess of your grates, but the taste is worth a good brushing afterwards (the next day)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

BBQ Deputy

Thanks to the garlic, vinegar, and sugar "worth a good brushing" applies to your teeth, too! :lol:

We're a couple of days into October but as long as the cook's from September you're good. :wink:

phillyjazz well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Did you brine them first? I'm usually not a fan of that cut because so often it's just too darn lean for my liking.

Thanks for copying your post, PJ! I fixed the photos for you.

I don't brine if I marinate. It basically does the same thing. Fish sauce and even low-sodium soy are pretty salty. These did not dry out. Also, as they are pounded thin, they were done in about two minutes per side. The sugar gets them charred very quickly. Even with no fat, they are still moist when flash-broiled that quickly.

P.S. - Thanks for fixing the photos !!
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Previous

Return to General Discussion