Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion "Look Ma, Grill marks!"

"Look Ma, Grill marks!"

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:36 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Had a hankerin' for a steak yesterday, so I took out an old London broil top round from the deep freeze and fired up the grill. What amazes me is that I still got grill marks, even though the center was still somewhat frozen. Sure did hit the spot and was plenty juicy, Good dose of coarse S&P, and cooked to medium rare.

Got beer???

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Tasty! The bagel I had for breakfast seems so forgettable now... :lol:

I haven't grilled a steak for awhile now. No particular reason, just one of those things. Perhaps tomorrow night...

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:00 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Tasty! The bagel I had for breakfast seems so forgettable now... :lol:

I haven't grilled a steak for awhile now. No particular reason, just one of those things. Perhaps tomorrow night...

Thank you, Brad. :D

That was exactly my situation--long time, no eat. I was due. Hope you fit one in, too. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:22 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

It's times like this I could eat my computer screen! Nice work.

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:15 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Steven wrote:
It's times like this I could eat my computer screen! Nice work.

Many thank you's, Steven :D

As can I when I spy your eye candy. :cheers: :bbq:
And your recent beer post has me thinking of doing a beer gravy for meatball kebobs to be served atop a bed of farfalle pasta. :D
Got beer???

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:11 am
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Hope you fit one in, too. :cheers:
I managed. :wink:

The beer gravy sounds interesting!

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:14 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
beercuer wrote:
Hope you fit one in, too. :cheers:
I managed. :wink:

The beer gravy sounds interesting!

Good looking steak, BC! That's what I want for breakfast this weekend. :cheers:

Brad - As for beer gravy, if it's done right, it can be quite good. If it's not done correctly, it's quite awful.

In fact, I managed a few bars a long time ago and I had a chef clear out the room once with his "beer gravy". And before anyone even dares suggest it, this wasn't a food safety issue at all (my kitchen staff was even more meticulous than me). It's just that the stuff tasted so bad it made folks hurl. :twisted:

I hope yours is in the first category (and I'm pretty sure it will be). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:58 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Yeah, I'm an old hand at beer gravy. My name ain't "beercuer" for nothin'. :D

Here's one I did for an Aussie Walkabout Cowpie (just a spin-off of a Salisbury steak). In this case I used a Foster's Premium Ale. I have found that a really yummy way to get a good gravy is to use corn starch (not flour), use a lighter beer/ale, and load it with sauteed onions and mushrooms. The rest of the seasonings are negotiable.
:cheers: :bbq:

Got beer???

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:14 pm
BBQ Deputy

That looks tasty! Given that your alternate name could be "Tortillacuer" was everything all wrapped up together?

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:58 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
That looks tasty! Given that your alternate name could be "Tortillacuer" was everything all wrapped up together?

Why thanks, Brad! I find that any kind of gravy makes for savory gravy burgers as well (if one does not mind the mess). You know, you're right... I do make much use of tortillas. Just that this entree required a foot-shaped bed of dough. :D

Still a far cry from the Beef Wellingtons I saw the children make on Junior MasterChef. Did you catch that? Unbelievable!
Got beer???

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:45 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Killer looking steak :!:

Greg

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:50 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

beercuer - Definitely a nice looking steak. Think I vaguely remember what a steak is.
Was actually supposed to go to a new Texas Roadhouse by our house tonight for a ribeye but the oldest stepson overcelebrated the KC Chiefs being 6-0 and didn't get back from KC in time to go. (He said he'd buy.)
Did pick up some nice ribeyes today at Costco - probably Wednesday's dinner.
Please tell me more about beer gravy ... Is there a recipe?
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:43 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Yeah, I'm an old hand at beer gravy. My name ain't "beercuer" for nothin'. :D

Here's one I did for an Aussie Walkabout Cowpie (just a spin-off of a Salisbury steak). In this case I used a Foster's Premium Ale. I have found that a really yummy way to get a good gravy is to use corn starch (not flour), use a lighter beer/ale, and load it with sauteed onions and mushrooms. The rest of the seasonings are negotiable.
:cheers: :bbq:

Corn starch is also what I like to use as well, and my second choice is the quick-dissolving flour. But the lighter beer/ale idea and the onions and mushrooms are good too. I think the reason why a lot of beer gravies I've tasted were unpalatable was because the cook used a heavier beer for them.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:21 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Cactus1 wrote:
beercuer - Definitely a nice looking steak. Think I vaguely remember what a steak is.
Was actually supposed to go to a new Texas Roadhouse by our house tonight for a ribeye but the oldest stepson overcelebrated the KC Chiefs being 6-0 and didn't get back from KC in time to go. (He said he'd buy.)
Did pick up some nice ribeyes today at Costco - probably Wednesday's dinner.
Please tell me more about beer gravy ... Is there a recipe?

KC is awesome this year!-- Heard about the decibel record the fans set. Sorry you did not make your Roadhouse trip, but ribeye's sure are a nice treat.

Gravy is a really versatile thing, so you can easily customize it according to your tastes. The most important thing to remember is that one treats corn starch a little differently from flour. Here is a basic way of how I would make mine:

5 oz. sliced mushrooms (crimini variety are ideal).
1 onion sliced into strips (brown or yellow preferred)
3 Tbs butter for sauteeing
12 oz beer or ale (not too strong tasting)
1 tsp L&P Worcestershire sauce
!/4 tsps salt and pepper (or more if you like)

Now you can sautee the onions and mushrooms in the butter. Put the cornstarch into a bowl or large glass and slowly add just enough beer to make a slurry. Then add all the rest of the ingredients stirring it all together. Pour that mixture into the skillet and lightly stir it all around for about two minutes until it thickens. ***Careful, if one gets too rough with it, or cooks it too long the gravy will rethin itself.

You'll probably want more salt and pepper. Optionally you can add a beef bouillon or two. And feel free to add your favorite herbs like rosemary or parsley or whatever. You also might like to make a larger batch of gravy with this formula. This basic one works just fine however. Alternatively, you could Google for Salisbury steak recipes for other ideas-- Just substitute in the beer/ale for the fluid stock or broth, whatever. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:41 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Oh yeah, here is a pic of my beer gravy prior to thickening. It's okay to simmer it, so long as you do so at a low temperature (indirect). This was just the basic recipe, but I believe I used more than one onion.

Got beer???

Next

Return to General Discussion