Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion October's Online Block Party - Wings and Other Appetizers!

October's Online Block Party - Wings and Other Appetizers!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Ideas for a savory sauce?

Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

BC- I guess I got the play wrong. Woodson with the fumble recovery for 6, and the interception to seal the victory :lol: it was a good game. Thought my Raiders were going to throw it away

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sorry I missed this yesterday - was busy with family stuff.

Is there a less-sweet bottled sauce that you like? I don't know what's available in your area. Otherwise, you could start with something as simple as a mustard-based glaze.

Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Hmmm I'll think about it.

On a similar note I talked to a friend last night that is making moink balls today as a practice for a a similar party. He is going to roll them in panko crumbs to give them a crisp crunch. He will report back his findings to me. I will keep you guys posted to his results

Edit- He got rained out. Will try again tomorrow

BBQ Deputy

CookinWithFire wrote:
Made some sesame wings last weekend for the Sunday games.
Looks like they turned out nice. I see the coffee can in the pic...that wasn't part of the recipe, was it?

beercuer wrote:
Ah,... the good ol' days. Wasn't that about the same time as "Refrigerator" Perry played for the Bears? Talk about a mountain of a man-- That was like having 12 men on the field! :cheers:
Yep, the '80s...hard to believe that decade started over 30 years ago. Back then I was still doing only direct grilling and starting my charcoal with lighter fluid! :lol:

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Wolfpackbbq wrote:
BC- I guess I got the play wrong. Woodson with the fumble recovery for 6, and the interception to seal the victory :lol: it was a good game. Thought my Raiders were going to throw it away

Well Wolfpack, I'm glad you got to enjoy the game. I'm a bit disappointed that I did not even get to watch it.

As for sauces, I know that adobo and chipotle go famously together. You might even like a teriyaki baste/glaze. Even the Kikkoman brand I believe would work well. You could even doctor that with sesame seeds, crushed red chile, etc.

As for savory, I wonder how a hollandaise or Bernaise or even a ranch type sauce would work? I bet a smoked, thick cream of mushroom soup would top that nice.
Last edited by beercuer on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Got beer???

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
]Yep, the '80s...hard to believe that decade started over 30 years ago. Back then I was still doing only direct grilling and starting my charcoal with lighter fluid! :lol:

Good ol' days, indeed! That's when I had my (kettle style) "Happy Cooker" from Montgomery Wards... even better than a Weber, because it had an adjustable charcoal grate and hood hinge. :D
Got beer???

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Hot, Sweet & Sour Tiger Wings

Back again. This time, I look to present some party wings pit cooked with this "Tiger Sauce." I find it to be somewhat unique and delicious. It's sweet, sour, salty, and hot-- catching one's taste buds on many levels. If you can imagine combining cayenne peppers with vinegar, sugar, worcestershire and a pinch of salt, then you have some idea of what this might be like, if not familiar with it.

So, here we go out to the pit with the frozen party wings. Went with a hot indirect grilling this time, with mesquite smoke.

I was pleased with the way the skins came out on these, browning nicely while the meat remained moist.

After having a good chat with my brother and sipping a few margaritas, it was time to plate. I doused the wings with the sauce (mixed in a bowl), steamed a bed of organic kale, and split a homegrown pomegranate. I guess it's my fault that Detroit won the ALCS game! :lol:

:cheers: :bbq:

Got beer???

BBQ Deputy

Nice job, BC! I've seen Tiger sauce but never tried it, and based on your description I think I'd like it. The plate and presentation look nice, too - the pomegranate adds a colorful touch.

BBQ Deputy

Last week I made a batch of wings but I went big (and I went home, too) - turkey wings. And it only takes 2 to make a batch.

Because they're white meat I like to brine them, and this time I used a combination of beers.
Image Image

I used regular briquettes and grilled them indirect around 375 until they reached 170 internal temp.

Darker, less hoppy beers add a subtle flavor and sweetness without making the meat taste beery. And even though I cooked the wings thoroughly they were still quite moist.

BaasPro medium
medium

I don't know if this counts because we didn't make them this month, but we dig the Fire-Eater Wings recipe...

Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

BBQ Deputy

Those look like they might have a little heat... :lol:

Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I did a small trial run of Moink Balls. I used a 50/50 mix of Italian sausage and ground chuck. 1/2 were plain the other half were mixed with chopped chipotles and adobo sauce. I coated 3 in Panko crumbs as a trial. Cooked them for an hour and started glazing them in BBQ sauce half way thru (except the panko crusted balls). Added some jalapeno canoes for my effort. I had a few taste test dummies and they all went back for seconds. Everyone agreed the sauced were better than the panko. Sorry no completed pics. Friends came over for dinner and I was rushing to prep for that

Cactus1 well done
well done

Canadian Thanksgiving was Monday October 14. I already wished CG a Happy Thanksgiving. Happy Belated Thanksgiving to any other Canadians out there.
To commemorate the day I grilled turkey wings - I had 8 wings cut into 16 pieces - with a Cranberry Buffalo Sauce. Wings were rubbed with Penzey's BBQ 3001. Sauce was 1 can Ocean Spray whole cranberries, 1 stick butter, 3 tbsp. Montego Specialties Jamaican Habanero Hot Sauce, and juice of 1 lime. Celery sticks and blue cheese dressing to go with.
When I served them I told my family that I was thankful for Columbus. Without him my Ohio State Buckeyes would probably have to play in Cleveland or Cincinnati.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

BBQ Deputy

Wolf, how was the split between the plain balls and the ones with chipotle and adobo? I'm guessing it depended on each person's tolerance to heat.

The wings sound great, Cactus! I see that you didn't add any sugar to the sauce so between the cranberries and the lime it must've been pretty tart.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion