Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint BBQ in San Antonio?

BBQ in San Antonio?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:07 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I'm in San Antonio for a special event with the SA restaurant association. Any suggestions for where to eat barbecue (or anything else)?

Thanks!

SR

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:45 am
Griffin well done
well done

Mmm...San Antonio is not really that well known for BBQ. When we head down there, we normally just eat Tex-Mex. Dyal_SC made some posts awhile back about his trip down there under Best BBQ Joint. I think he went to Casa Rio on the Riverwalk as well as The County Line. I think he liked the bbq at the county line, but I don't remember being impressed with it. More of a touristy kinda place. If you have time, you could drive up to New Braunfels and try Cooper's. Not sure how good it is. The original out in Llano is/was pretty good, but haven't been in years.

I've heard/read good things about a place called Smoke Shack. It's a food truck and usually located at 2347 Nacogdoches Road. Whatever you do, stay far far away from Bill Miller Bar-B-Que. Nasty stuff. The fast food of bbq. Good luck.

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

More good Tex-Mex or Mexican in San Antonio. Get to the Hill Country - Kerrville, Fredericksburg ... Out toward Seguin, Gonzales, Luling , Lockhart ... Up around Austin, Taylor, Eglin ...
My "bucket list" place is the Taylor Café just for the opportunity to meet Vencil Mares and shake his hand. I use his technique to make my pinto beans.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:41 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Thanks! I founds some terrific que in San Antonio. Two Bros. Smoke Shack. The Granary (inspired). I plan to blog on it shortly.

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:42 pm
Buckeye Bob well done
well done

Two spots in San Antonio made Texas Monthly's Top 50 list. The Granary and Two Bros. I've heard great things about both. Here is the list:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/eat-my-word ... cue-joints

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:44 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've moved this post to the Best BBQ Joint forum because it fits a lot better there. Enjoy! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to Best BBQ Joint