Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Planking

Planking

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:50 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

So, I'm wondering how y'all use planks on the grill? It seems the normal method is to soak them in water and cook over indirect heat. This summer I've been using them dry and preheating to get some smoke rolling before adding the meat/poultry/fish/fruit/whatever. It does result in big flare-ups when the lid is lifted, but while cooking with the lid down it seems to be a great way to infuse a good smoke flavor. This spatchcocked chicken may have been my favorite whole chicken off the grill.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations? I will say that this doesn't seem to work well with cedar. Perhaps just a personal preference, but we find the cedar smoke to be too pungent so we do soak those planks before cooking fish or fruit. Anyway, I've had fun using oak and hickory planks this way this year.

Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:12 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

BaasPro wrote:
So, I'm wondering how y'all use planks on the grill? It seems the normal method is to soak them in water and cook over indirect heat. This summer I've been using them dry and preheating to get some smoke rolling before adding the meat/poultry/fish/fruit/whatever. It does result in big flare-ups when the lid is lifted, but while cooking with the lid down it seems to be a great way to infuse a good smoke flavor. This spatchcocked chicken may have been my favorite whole chicken off the grill.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations? I will say that this doesn't seem to work well with cedar. Perhaps just a personal preference, but we find the cedar smoke to be too pungent so we do soak those planks before cooking fish or fruit. Anyway, I've had fun using oak and hickory planks this way this year.

Beautiful shot there BaasPro, that looks great and the chicken doesn't look bad either. Never used hickory or oak planks only cedar. I have used the cedar planks and cooked steak and scallops on the gas grill before which those came out with a great smoky flavor. The wife doesn't really like hickory smoked stuff so if I cook with hickory smoke she wont eat it but if I use cherry or apple wood she will eat some of it. I really like the flavor that hickory puts out but cant stand mesquite.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:58 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BaasPro - planks are a blast, but I tend to agree with you on cedar. I think it's because almost all planked food I've tasted has come off a cedar plank and that smoke doesn't go with everything. I now have 8 of them (mostly gifts) but I'd definitely like to try another wood.

I've got a cheap solution, too. I make pens, so I'm often at some of the local plywood stores and lumberyards asking them to lop off a foot off the end of a really good board. I'm sure they would do the same with a piece of white oak or something similar. Applewood I've got, but it's still in log form. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Baaspro - Bet that chicken tasted as good as it looks.
We like planked foods and I don't do it often enough. I've got a commercial type cedar plank that came from Washington State. I only use it a couple times a year. I keep it cleaned and oiled and just lightly sand off the char every once in a while. You really have to try planking veggies.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion