Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion A Point about pork chops

A Point about pork chops

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:31 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last weekend I was in the store and picked up a pack of "America's chops", which appear to be boneless loin chops and are therefore very suitable for brining. And since I like to play around with different flavors I decided to try using some Point Cascade Ale, which is pretty good but not overly hoppy.

I cooked the chops all the way through but they were still nice and juicy.

Overall they turned out pretty good. It takes a pretty hoppy beer to get any significant hop flavor into meat so they had more of a subtle taste, but were less sweet than they would've been if I'd used something maltier.

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:31 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Nice job Brad. I'd never have thought about using an ale to brine pork.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:46 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Nice job Brad. I'd never have thought about using an ale to brine pork.

I do this as well, but I'm quite picky about the beer that goes in the brine when I'm serving food like this to guests. A lot of them really don't like a taste that's too hoppy so I stick to the milder-flavored beers. Interestingly enough, that doesn't rule out the darker beers and some stouts as these can also be very mild-tasting.

I'm now just past the 500 mark for beers tasted. I know that's not much compared to some folks I know that taste beer as a hobby, but it's given me a very good idea of what beers to cook with and what not to.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:15 pm
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

I think a good hefeweizen goes great with grilled pork chops. Not to hoppy so it shouldn't turn off the non beer drinkers.

:cheers:

Return to General Discussion