Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pit Barrel Cooker (Now with pics)

Pit Barrel Cooker (Now with pics)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:51 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Posts: 742
Location: Indian Head Park, IL.
jhumpert wrote:
Griffin wrote:
jhumpert - he personally replied to an e-mail I had within less than 1 hour. Told me to give him a call. I called, but it went to voicemail. Didn't feel like leaving a message and planned on calling him back. Well, he must have seen the number on caller id and called me back even though he had no idea who I was or what I wanted. Long distance from Colorado to Texas no less. Now that is some customer service.


Griffin, everything I have seen or heard about this company has been excellent. Noah is an Iraq veteran who started the company after returning from the war. Everything is 100% american made, when you call customer support you will be speaking to a person speaking english never an overseas call center, and you have the ability to personally contact Noah directly if you ever have any problems or issues and his business card goes out stapled to the instructions on every grill. Like I said in an earlier post I sent him tweet thanking him for giving away such a great prize on the show and had a response within 5 minutes and we exchanged about 4 messages back and forth.

Great concept - I remember seeing pictures in the National Barbecue News and pictures that my nephew took of some of the barbecues that the troops would do when in their base camps in Iraq and Afghanistan.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:45 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Posts: 331
Location: Greensburg Indiana
sroach wrote:
jhumpert,

Does it have a bottom or is that the patio or brick that you see when looking down the barrel?


There is a horseshoe ring that the drum sits on but what you are seeing is our concrete patio in the backyard where I have both grills setting at. The barrel stand is just a little smaller than the diameter of the grill and stands about 7 to 8 inches off the ground and the grill sets on top of the ring. Everything about these grills uses horseshoes, there is horseshoes on the stand, horseshoes for the handle on the lid, 2 horseshoes welded on the sides for handles. The grill itself is based on a 30 gallon drum.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Image

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:53 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Posts: 163
Location: Alvaton, KY

jhumpert wrote:
After a long 3 weeks between Job hunting and more job hunting today was a great day. First off we were on the way to see my niece who was about to make me "Great Uncle Humpy" in the hospital I get a call telling me I am getting an interview on Thursday and I also know 5 of their employees who I used to work with. One of them just happens to sit right next to the guy I am interviewing with so I told him about it and he gave him a good word about me so I am hopeful this goes well Thursday. After an all day of induced labor my niece had her baby by C section at 4:20 this afternoon. Later I get my weekly email from Greg Rempe of the Barbecue central radio show telling who will be on the show tonight and one of the headlines was a giveaway of a free Pit Barrel Cooker playing Font or Cheese. We got home in time to listen to the show so I decided to see if I could actually get thru for the contest and got on the air. I started with the first selection with a guess of Font which turned up being correct then took a guess on the second one was a cheese and was also correct so I ended up winning a Pit Barrel Cooker tonight which is being fed ex'd to my house.

I am looking forward to getting my barrel cooker and cant wait to try it out. I will post some pictures once I get the cooker.

Too cool, jhumpert! Congrats. I tried to win on the first week ("Winery or Rehab") and I lost on the first guess. I missed the second week, but I tried again on the third ("Athlete or Porn Star") and I was pretty excited to get the first question right. Of course I blew it on the second guess. I dig the show and I want a PBC. One of these days...
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:31 am
jhumpert well done
well done

Posts: 331
Location: Greensburg Indiana
BaasPro wrote:
Too cool, jhumpert! Congrats. I tried to win on the first week ("Winery or Rehab") and I lost on the first guess. I missed the second week, but I tried again on the third ("Athlete or Porn Star") and I was pretty excited to get the first question right. Of course I blew it on the second guess. I dig the show and I want a PBC. One of these days...


Thank you fellow Centralite, week 2 was hard and I didn't get to hear week 1 or 3. Week 2 they did "font or cheese" and they went thru 6 people before I finally got it. I was listening to it and heard them say they were going to play and they already had people queued up waiting so I figured I was hosed before I even got a chance to start. After so many people bombed I figured what the heck give it a shot and it rang a couple times and I heard Greg answer and next thing you know I heard 1 ding where I "GUESSED" the correct answer then he went on and asked the second question which I guessed again and heard silence for a sec then he played the winner soundbyte and I was absolutely shocked. I received the grill exactly a week later on the following Tuesday via FedEx.

I looked up Noah (PBC founder) on twitter and followed him there and tweeted him thanking him for giving away such a great prize on the show. Less than 5 minutes later I had a tweet back and we exchanged several messages. PBC is an awesome company to deal with and Noah sends his business card with every grill that goes out and told me if I have any questions I can contact him directly which Griffin can vouch for because he has also spoken with Noah about PBC's. They also have around 14 or 15 Youtube videos out there showing how to use the cooker and I am about to try a brisket on there either this week or next weekend. I ended up buying some injection and rubs from Butcher BBQ so going to try those and smoke it PBC using cherry chunks.

What part of Kentucky are you in? We are right between Indy and Cincinnatti
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Image

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:10 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Posts: 163
Location: Alvaton, KY

jhumpert wrote:
BaasPro wrote:
Too cool, jhumpert! Congrats. I tried to win on the first week ("Winery or Rehab") and I lost on the first guess. I missed the second week, but I tried again on the third ("Athlete or Porn Star") and I was pretty excited to get the first question right. Of course I blew it on the second guess. I dig the show and I want a PBC. One of these days...


Thank you fellow Centralite, week 2 was hard and I didn't get to hear week 1 or 3. Week 2 they did "font or cheese" and they went thru 6 people before I finally got it. I was listening to it and heard them say they were going to play and they already had people queued up waiting so I figured I was hosed before I even got a chance to start. After so many people bombed I figured what the heck give it a shot and it rang a couple times and I heard Greg answer and next thing you know I heard 1 ding where I "GUESSED" the correct answer then he went on and asked the second question which I guessed again and heard silence for a sec then he played the winner soundbyte and I was absolutely shocked. I received the grill exactly a week later on the following Tuesday via FedEx.

I looked up Noah (PBC founder) on twitter and followed him there and tweeted him thanking him for giving away such a great prize on the show. Less than 5 minutes later I had a tweet back and we exchanged several messages. PBC is an awesome company to deal with and Noah sends his business card with every grill that goes out and told me if I have any questions I can contact him directly which Griffin can vouch for because he has also spoken with Noah about PBC's. They also have around 14 or 15 Youtube videos out there showing how to use the cooker and I am about to try a brisket on there either this week or next weekend. I ended up buying some injection and rubs from Butcher BBQ so going to try those and smoke it PBC using cherry chunks.

What part of Kentucky are you in? We are right between Indy and Cincinnatti

I lived in Bloomington as a kid and I love cheering for IU when they play UK. Makes my friends crazy. We are right off I-65 between Louisville and Nashville (closer to Nashville). We just spent a few days in Cincinnati this week, and we go to Indy at least twice a year for the Indy 500 and the MotoGP races. Having lived in the big cities, I'm perfectly happy in flyover country these days...

I've heard nothing but good stuff regarding the PBC and the family behind it. I have a WSM, and the simplicity of the PBC appeals to me. I'm currently on a wife-imposed BBQ spending embargo (I save my pennies for charcoal and buy it when she's not looking), but I'd like to get one in the spring. We cooked some ribs on a PBC at BBQ U and it seemed to impress everybody who paid attention to it. One of the guys who was on the rib team called and ordered one that same afternoon!

You may have covered this already, but are you able to control the cooking temp or is it always about the same? Do you get a good smoke ring on ribs or Boston butts, or does it cook a little too hot for that?
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:58 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Posts: 331
Location: Greensburg Indiana
So far all I have done is ribs but that is about to change. We went to Sam's today and I bought 2 butts which are currently in the freezer that I am going to cook eventually but the plan for this week is a brisket packer so I can try out the PBC with brisket and also the Butcher BBQ injection and rub that I bought. All Sam's had today was flats for 35-40.00 and I know I have bought packers here at home for around 40 so I passed on the flats at Sam's.

If you look at my other post about ribs on the PBC you will see pictures from that cook and I was able to get a small smoke ring. Also there is no way to regulate temperature, it is light it up and let it go. I started cooking at around 3:00 in the afternoon and I checked it around 12:30 AM some 9 hours later and the charcoal basket was still cherry red and belching smoke so it holds heat really well. The handle horseshoe was very warm when I checked it which had not happened all day.

I spent 7 years as a yellow shirt at Indy between 2002 and 2008 for both the 500 and NASCAR and had some interesting things that I have seen and heard from behind the scenes, including some incidents with Ricky Rudd almost running over a supervisor. worked with a guy who was a spotter for Gilliland and I asked him if he heard anything about an incident with Rudd after the race which I had the radio at the time and heard it as it happened. He ended up emailing Doug yates saying I heard Rudd had a post race incident with a yellow shirt and within a couple hours had a message back from yates asking how he had heard about it and trying to keep it under control. I also had an incident with one Gilliland's team members and the same friend said something to yates about and a couple weeks later I showed up to work and there was an autographed Halloween die cast sitting on my desk along with an apology.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Image

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:30 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Posts: 163
Location: Alvaton, KY

Cool, man... those ribs look good! And I look forward to reading about how the briskets and Boston butts turns out.

I dig the IMS stories. That's my favorite property on the planet.
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:01 am
jhumpert well done
well done

Posts: 331
Location: Greensburg Indiana
BaasPro wrote:
Cool, man... those ribs look good! And I look forward to reading about how the briskets and Boston butts turns out.

I dig the IMS stories. That's my favorite property on the planet.


I worked in the garage all that time and spent about 3 years between the motor home lot (AKA Millionaire row),team lot where the crews parked, and the lot behind the hospital before I had enough and wanted to see what else I could see and had to threaten to quit if I didn't get moved elsewhere. They then transferred me to Gasoline Alley for the 500 and the NASCAR gate for Brickyard for 2 years before I started having back and heat issues and ended up moving to the pagoda for my last years. I also have a story about Secret Service sharpshooters that is kind of wild too, but that is another time.

Hopefully the brisket will get added this week then the butts in a couple weeks. I have injections and rubs for both of those.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Image

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5842
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
jhumpert wrote:
So far all I have done is ribs but that is about to change. We went to Sam's today and I bought 2 butts which are currently in the freezer that I am going to cook eventually but the plan for this week is a brisket packer so I can try out the PBC with brisket and also the Butcher BBQ injection and rub that I bought. All Sam's had today was flats for 35-40.00 and I know I have bought packers here at home for around 40 so I passed on the flats at Sam's.


Brisket and butts - I'm really looking forward to the results of those cooks. These big drum smokers can do a fantastic job on them (and I call them that because I don't think they're ugly at all). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:06 am
jhumpert well done
well done

Posts: 331
Location: Greensburg Indiana
CharredGriller,
Take a look on the board I did the brisket yesterday and that cook report and pictures are waiting for your viewing pleasure. Surprising nobody has even commented yet and it has been started for 2 days.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Image

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:27 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5842
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
jhumpert wrote:
CharredGriller,
Take a look on the board I did the brisket yesterday and that cook report and pictures are waiting for your viewing pleasure. Surprising nobody has even commented yet and it has been started for 2 days.


Sorry - been out of town for Canadian Thanksgiving and I'm just responding now. Don't worry - I'll post a reply as I've been waiting for these. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:04 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Posts: 331
Location: Greensburg Indiana
CharredGriller wrote:
jhumpert wrote:
CharredGriller,
Take a look on the board I did the brisket yesterday and that cook report and pictures are waiting for your viewing pleasure. Surprising nobody has even commented yet and it has been started for 2 days.


Sorry - been out of town for Canadian Thanksgiving and I'm just responding now. Don't worry - I'll post a reply as I've been waiting for these. :D

You wont be disappointed, I know the wife wasn't or the neighbors either because we took them some last night and they thought it was awesome and may want me to smoke a pulled beef for them or something.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Image

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:41 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7466
Location: Stoughton, WI
Now you've done it - you're expected to feed people other than your own family! :lol:

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:50 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5842
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
ScreamingChicken wrote:
Now you've done it - you're expected to feed people other than your own family! :lol:


Yeah - but that just goes with the territory, sort of like an occupational hazard (but not really because BBQ usually isn't a job for any of us). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:08 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Posts: 331
Location: Greensburg Indiana
CharredGriller wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:
Now you've done it - you're expected to feed people other than your own family! :lol:


Yeah - but that just goes with the territory, sort of like an occupational hazard (but not really because BBQ usually isn't a job for any of us). :D

I heard that one, I love watching a smoker and you know what they say a bad day at the smoker is better than a good day at work anytime. Like CG said smoking is fun and I never had fun on any jobs I have done so far.

That's OK Brad the rest of the ribs ended up going to my niece and her husband who flat out tore them up, nothing left of them and asked when can we come for more BBQ? Apparently I must be getting the hang of this and doing something right. I even have a friend who just got a smoker in August caught the bug as well and keeps saying me and him need to enter some backyard amateur competitions.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Image

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion