Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion October's Online Block Party - Wings and Other Appetizers!

October's Online Block Party - Wings and Other Appetizers!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

From big wings to little wings...for dinner last Sunday I cooked up a small batch for Mrs. Chicken and myself.

Since I've been brining things lately I stuck with it, but this time I used white wine and fresh herbs (parsley, organo, basil, sage, and rosemary).

The wings were in the brine for about 6 hours and as the sun was sinking in the sky I fired up the grill.
Image Image

They were actually for dinner so I charred up some asparagus to go alongside.

The wine and herbs added a light brightness to the wings without them tasting overly winey. The only downside was that I didn't use a cheap wine so this wound up being a restaurant-priced order! :lol:

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BC - love the Tiger Sauce. I've been using it for well over a decade and it's a family favorite.

Wolfpack - those moink balls look fabulous! So how did the chipotle ones fare next to the regular ones?

BaasPro - those wings look absolutely amazing too! They look positively volcanic. :D

Brad - I was waiting for someone to do turkey wings. And I thought I was the only guy on the board who drank Murphy's, too. :cheers:

It's been a hectic month so far with the end of Farmers' Market season. Plus. I had a disaster recovery exercise to participate in at work to boot. Hopefully I'll be able to cook up my own submission(s) soon as well.

I also managed to score some bison flatiron steak from a vendor beside my own market booth, so that should be done this week as well.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I prefer the spicy Moinks, Mrs. W prefers the non spicy. I think I need to add some garlic or something to the plain ones for a little flavor boost. For me I wouldn't mind more heat, like adding diced jalapeno to the spicy ones. They were medium spicy on my scale. Great flavor. I didn't have Sweet Baby Ray sauce at home. I think that will help them out. The sauce I used was thinner and not as flavorful. Saturday will be the big cook. I will make sure to get pics of the finished product this time. :cheers:

Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Wolf, how was the split between the plain balls and the ones with chipotle and adobo? I'm guessing it depended on each person's tolerance to heat.

The wings sound great, Cactus! I see that you didn't add any sugar to the sauce so between the cranberries and the lime it must've been pretty tart.

Should have bought fresh cranberries and then I would have added a sugar when I cooked them down - probably organic blue agave. Most of the time I like blue agave better than a sugar. Should have read the ingredients on the Ocean Spray can before I bought it - high fructose corn syrup & corn syrup - but I used it anyway.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Niiice work, guys! Image

Brad-- Those are among the most inspiring and pretty turkey wings I ever done see. And they DO look moist and tender. I know what a challenge it is to achieve that when wings are separated from the body. That cookout deserves at least a wave!
Got beer???

BBQ Deputy

Thanks! I generally prefer dark meat but turkey wings have a much better skin-to-meat ratio than the breast, and skin trumps all. :wink:

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Thanks! I generally prefer dark meat but turkey wings have a much better skin-to-meat ratio than the breast, and skin trumps all. :wink:

Roger that. I just grilled a few chicken thighs the other day with generous skins, and was thinking how much flavor they added to the meal.
Got beer???

BaasPro well done
well done

I went back to the old faithful "How to Grill" for a Monday Night Football chicken wing idea and ended up on page 247, of course. We used a sauce that was more BBQ than Buffalo, but loved the wings stretched out on skewers. I may never cut up a chicken wing again...

Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

BBQ Deputy

Nice job! I see that you leave the tips on as well.

I should try the skewer technique the next time I have a smaller batch of wings. Usually when I grill them it's a quantity large enough to require almost all of the available grate space.

BaasPro well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nice job! I see that you leave the tips on as well.

I should try the skewer technique the next time I have a smaller batch of wings. Usually when I grill them it's a quantity large enough to require almost all of the available grate space.

Thanks. They do take up a lot of space this way. If you cut the tips off, perhaps you could do two per skewer?

BaasPro well done
well done

And sorry for the huge pictures. I've been using the Img button and providing a URL. I just noticed the option to upload attachments today. I'll figure this place out eventually. :oops:

BBQ Deputy

It looks like they're about 800x600, which seems to be the maximum size generally preferred on forums these days. For a post that doesn't contain a lot of images that's OK, especially with a reasonably fast ISP connection. Bob-BQN, are you the only person left on dialup? :wink:

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I have my software set such that no matter how large a screen resolution picture I submit, it is never greater than 65KB. Neat feature, yes? I actually prefer the bigger images because of my vision. Funny me talking like that because I view these things on a 42" monitor! :D
Got beer???

Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Nice work on your wings, folks.

I'm thinking piri piri wings for Grillfest in Phoenix on November 3 (benefit for the PBS on channel 8). Sriracha sesame marinade. Fried jalapeño-sriracha serving sauce. Too hot or just right?

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
Nice work on your wings, folks.

I'm thinking piri piri wings for Grillfest in Phoenix on November 3 (benefit for the PBS on channel 8). Sriracha sesame marinade. Fried jalapeño-sriracha serving sauce. Too hot or just right?

Since I just started a batch of ghost pepper sauce, I'd say "just right". :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion