Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint St. Louis BBQ

St. Louis BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:10 am
BaasPro medium
medium

I visited St. Louis for a quick trip this past weekend. On the way there I asked some friends which BBQ spots I should check out, and by the time we got to the big city I knew I had to visit Smoki O's and Pappy's. Smoki O's was awesome. As is usually the case with small family-owned BBQ shacks, these folks couldn't have been any friendlier. If I lived closer, I'd be a regular for sure.

I knew I was in the right place when I spied copies of my two favorite grilling/BBQ books next to their Southern Pride manual behind the counter -- "How to Grill" and "BBQ USA!" I don't recall ever seeing a cookbook at a restaurant before, but I like it! Steven, if you've never been there, I don't think you'd regret paying them a visit the next time you're in the neighborhood and I'm sure they'd be glad to see you.

On the other side of town the next day, I didn't have much luck at Pappy's. We were in a hurry to hit the road and there was a line all the way down the block. I'll plan better next time, because I don't know if I've ever walked by a restaurant that smelled so good...

190 - Copy (Custom).JPG
Smoki O's.
190 - Copy (Custom).JPG (46.18 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

100 - Copy (Custom).JPG
This newspaper is 12 years old, but it could have been written yesterday. Seems to still describe the place to a T.
100 - Copy (Custom).JPG (73.32 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

120 - Copy (Custom).JPG
Meet Richmond. He's a cool dude, and if you don't order Snoots he's gonna give you a sample of Snoots anyway. It's hard to see in this pic, but over his shoulder there is a copy of "How to Grill" and "BBQ USA" next to their Southern Pride manual. Cool!
120 - Copy (Custom).JPG (64.94 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:19 am
BaasPro medium
medium

180 - Copy (Custom).JPG
Smoki O's is known for their Rib Tips and Snoots, but I couldn't pass up the Rib Dinner. This was no joke of a meal -- six big spare ribs and two sides. Check the smoke ring -- I ordered sauce on the side, but never touched it. The greens were perfect and the potato salad was way sweeter than anything I've had in Kentucky.
180 - Copy (Custom).JPG (93.31 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

265 - Copy (Custom).JPG
Snoot Chips and BBQ Sauce went back to the hotel room. The snoot chips are much like pork rinds, and the sauce is sweet with a not-so-subtle touch of cinnamon or nutmeg. I'm not sure if that's a Smoki O's thing or a St. Louis thing because I didn't get to sample any other St. Louis BBQ.
265 - Copy (Custom).JPG (85.19 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

701 (Custom).JPG
Pappy's. Sunday at 1:00 PM. They opened at 11:00 AM. This street has been completely closed down since 7:00 AM for the marathon, and yet there is still a line stretching down past the corner. We parked two blocks away and hoped the road closure would be deterring other customers on this afternoon, but we were way wrong! A place this popular can't be bad, and I look forward to returning...
701 (Custom).JPG (54.92 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:09 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I've seen long lines at Pappy's before but nothing like that. I've been out the door but it moves fairly quick. Think the longest I've ever waited was about 1/2 hour.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:18 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Cactus1 wrote:
I've seen long lines at Pappy's before but nothing like that. I've been out the door but it moves fairly quick. Think the longest I've ever waited was about 1/2 hour.

Good stuff? My brother had just finished running the marathon and he was waiting for me in the car, so I couldn't really hang around for an hour. But, man it smelled good.

Do you have any other St. Louis BBQ recommendations? I hope to go back in a few months with the family for a few days, and it couldn't hurt to plan that trip a little better.

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:58 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I'm long overdue for a trip to St. Louis. It's been almost 2 years.
I haven't been but I've heard Bogart's is supposed to be really good. There's a 17th St in O'Fallon, IL that I like. It's not a regular menu item but they have really good fresh made pork rinds as an appetizer from time to time.
Of all the times I've been in the St. Louis area I've never had a snoot. Going to have to try one, one of these days.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:11 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've stayed in St. Louis several times (just this past Monday, in fact) but have never eaten barbecue there. It's almost always just an overnight stop and more often than not it's a chance for a White Castle fix! :lol:

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I usually do a pork steak @ 17th St, I've been to the one in O'Fallon and also in Marion. Brisket or burnt ends and the turkey at Pappy's. Wife usually has the chicken and/or ribs at either place.
Wouldn't think of White Castle but we have a lot of them down here and yeah, I know, just have to have one or three or four every now and then.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:47 pm

There's not much better than Pappy's around here but if you get the chance... head out to Ofallon, Mo and hit up Sugarfire Smoke House.
It's another one of those with a long line but that line is there for a reason! The Big Muddy and their pulled pork sandwich are two of my favorites.
Louisiana CS-450 Pellet Grill, Humphrey's Half Pint Water Smoker, Barrel Cooker
St. Louis BBQ Store

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:54 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

carzycardinal24 - Been a few years since I've been down that way and I am long overdue. Will have to remember Sugarfire Smoke House the next time I'm down that way. Usually so many good places we want to go to and so little time.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to Best BBQ Joint