Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Fire pit cooking

Fire pit cooking

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:40 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

I'll probably never own the Kalamazoo hybrid or a beautiful piece of Grillworks art, but the fire pit is always available for live fire cooking with wood! Pork Chops, Pears, Burgers, and Brats over hickory this weekend. Not the best picture, but those pears sure are good with a little sugar and blue cheese.

P&P.JPG
P&P.JPG (107.66 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:01 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

Takes me back to my Boy Scout days. I got my start on an open fire in the scounts. Learned real quick pine makes a great fire, but poor cooking.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

What brand of grill is that, BP?

I can't imagine what something cooked over pine - especially if it was still a little green - would taste like other than "yuck". :wink:

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

You've got me seeing green, BP! I've wanted a firepit for the longest time. Looks like too much fun (and you would have to go and do pork chops)! Image
Got beer???

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:39 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:

I can't imagine what something cooked over pine - especially if it was still a little green - would taste like other than "yuck". :wink:

+1. I'd love to know what kind of grill that is.

As for pine, you might get away with it if you're usng a less-resinous species. All the stuff I have up here is pretty resinous or even fire-killed. The latter is great for other purposes like firestarting and certain wood crafts, as the resin has been baked right into the wood. It's similar to fatwood and some of it is almost waterproof, but it's not great for cooking. Anything that gets cooked over it tastes like the surface of the Brooklyn Bridge. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:52 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:

Sorry for the slow response, but it's just a cast iron fire ring from Gander Mountain that came with a grill grate that can be easily adjusted for height. It's similar to the one in the link below, and yeah, it didn't take long to burn that wooden handle off!

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... i?i=439929

Here's a better look at the firepit from a timelapse video of a Memphis-style rib cook:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLBVeSxUipY

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:59 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

When you think about it, for all the money we spend on grills, something like these fire pits for about $100 can be a great value. It's not too difficult to rig up a grill grate over a fire, but these kind of kits make it pretty easy. And it's fun for the whole family to get a good fire going, grill some burgers, finish up with some s'mores, and then crank the fire back up! Wish I used it more often...

Return to General Discussion